Something you hate that everybody else likes?

Crazycrazycultist

DuranDuranfan
4 hours ago, Arodash said:

Cities. Sure it can be fun to go into the city every once inawhile but overall. Hate it. Hated living in a city and was thankful when I got to move back to someplace rural. Cities stink, everything is expensive, you got whackos roaming the streets who try to sell you drugs in  broad daylight. When I lived in Portland my street was nicknamed crack street because EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, PD was there busting dealers, I couldnt leave my home at night even to take my dog for a walk because of the crime in that area, going down an alleyway with no means of self defense? Mugged. You get mugged. But at least our officers where super chill and as helpful as they could be

Is there really a town called Crabapple Cove in Maine?

DuranDuranfan
Just now, Arodash said:

I wouldnt be surprised if there was. But I havent heard of it. We have towns with weirdo names.

I was wondering because on M*A*S*H, that was where Hawkeye Pierce was from.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AspieAlly613 said:

As for my own post here:  Hot food.

That's not to say that I eat pizza straight from the fridge, but I only microwave it enough to make it warm.  Restaurant food is too hot for me.  I've literally poured cold water into/onto my food to bring it to a palatable temperature.  My heat sensitivity is almost certainly part of my being autistic.

While I don't mind food being warm or hot, I have weirded people out by eating "hot" food cold. I quite often like cold leftovers, straight from the fridge.

STAYING IN HOTELS.

I don't like it that housekeeping staff come into the room and clean it every day that I am staying there, I find that it feels like a really uncomfortable invasion of privacy. If there is a do not disturb sign, I will always put it on the outside of my door the whole time I am there, but even then it sometimes gets ignored. I don't change my bedsheet every single day when I am at home, and it doesn't need to be done on my hotel bed either.

I really hate being in that situation where you have no option but to allow other people to do things for you because you don't have access to what you would usually have at home to be able to do things yourself. And then you have to pay them for the privilege! Having to eat in restaurants every single day because I don't have access to a kitchen to prepare and cook my own food is something which particularly wears me down. If I drop some crumbs on the floor of my room, it really irritates the crap out of me that I haven't got access to a vacuum cleaner to deal with it right away!

I have to put up with breakfast rooms where they don't have the type of bread or kind of cereal that I would usually eat for breakfast. I also don't like that uncomfortable feeling of hotel staff standing over me watching me when I am eating. I have had situations where I have had my cereal bowl whisked away from me the second I put down my spoon after eating the last mouthful, when I wanted to go and get a second serving!

The really big gripe for me though is laundry. There some hotels which have a guest laundry room where you have access to a washing machine and drier, but those are few and far between. Worrying about my clothes getting dirty and being unable to wash them drives me insane! At home, I chuck my clothes in the machine, then the drier, and they are done within the same day. In hotels, you usually have to let someone take them off you for at least 24 hours, and they charge you a fortune just for just a single pair of underpants!

I will always look for an apart-hotel rather then an ordinary hotel when I am looking to go somewhere as these go a long way to solving all those frustrations, but they are much fewer in number than normal hotels and I can't always find one that's available.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, DuranDuranfan said:

Is there really a town called Crabapple Cove in Maine?

nope

(but I knew where you (and Hawkeye) were coming from) :) 

Hawkeye was drafted and against fighting, war, etc. Probably one of the least military characters of all time.

Grey-Ace Ventura

Eating food. It's not weight-related or anything, I just really don't like food and how I feel during and after eating.

DuranDuranfan
2 hours ago, Arodash said:

It's either Damariscotta or Bremen that the town is inspired by. Which isnt surprising because the military historically has never had a hard time getting enlistments here. 

"Hey kid you wanna fight for America?"

"Ye sure okay guy" 

It was Bremen, according to ye olde google search.

• Like 1
DuranDuranfan
2 hours ago, daveb said:

Hawkeye was drafted and against fighting, war, etc. Probably one of the least military characters of all time.

Yeah he was a pacifist. Kinda like Lifeline on GI Joe.

• Like 1

Putting milk in tea. 

I seem to be in a minority of one in having standard British tea with no milk in

• Like 2

Sleeping. What a nuisance, I'd rather be doing other things.

• Like 1
DarkStormyKnight

Reading ebooks. I just love having a physical book in my hands, plus it doesn't rely on battery power or electricity. What's the hype?

• Like 1
learning to acept myself

this one might be controversial but I dont👏get👏travelling

airports are AWFUL it takes 8 hours to get on a plane and there's never any place to rest or eat where there isn't a line

I can't bring my skincare or my conditioner in the doses I need to last the time I'm spending travelling and the airport brands are never the ones I use

being on an airplane is hella boring and hurts my ears, the food there is also overpriced and not good (no different from the airport)

when the plane finally lands it's another 8 hours till I make it to the hotel

the hotel is just a room with a bed and  to use the shower you need a degree (why are they always so complicated??)

to go anywhere fun in time I need to wake up early and I refuse to spend my vacation waking up early

sightseeing is actually fine depending on the climate and how tired I am but museums really need more places to sit down

after the week passes and I finally get to go back to my home, I have to do the airplane and airport thing all over again!

the hassles of travelling imo aren't justified by the new sceneries anymore

Edited by learning to acept myself
  • Like 1

Ok you asked for it . I dislike condiments on food to explain  ,i like to see my food and taste the flavor of it and if i need to add flavor i use condiments sparingly. i can not put ketchup on a burgers  or hot dog ,i hate mayonaise , mustered, oil and vinegar and i dont  do rellish (all rellish)  and a second thing i  dislike of patato chips haven't had any since i was about  8 now i am 49. i get a lot strang looks at sports gathering with freinds. i have earned the nick name when ordering food  with friends " plain jain"

DuranDuranfan
On 6/25/2020 at 11:44 PM, Arodash said:

Lewiston also has a SERIOUS drug problem. Oh my god I did clinicals up there and saw freaky stuff.

I wonder if it’s worse now. I’m hearing that the US is having an opiate problem, like Canada is. 

Another thing I’ve noticed about Maine is many of the residents have an accent almost similar to the late President Kennedy. Must be a New England area thing.

DuranDuranfan
2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Its way worse now. I did my clinicals there and soooo many drug problems

And yes we have a very strong accent that gets "incoherent" as ive heard outsiders say the more north you go here past Augusta

Probably makes Maple Ridge, BC look like a paradise.

Aquatic Paradox
18 hours ago, learning to acept myself said:

this one might be controversial but I dont👏get👏travelling

airports are AWFUL it takes 8 hours to get on a plane and there's never any place to rest or eat where there isn't a line

I can't bring my skincare or my conditioner in the doses I need to last the time I'm spending travelling and the airport brands are never the ones I use

being on an airplane is hella boring and hurts my ears, the food there is also overpriced and not good (no different from the airport)

when the plane finally lands it's another 8 hours till I make it to the hotel

the hotel is just a room with a bed and  to use the shower you need a degree (why are they always so complicated??)

to go anywhere fun in time I need to wake up early and I refuse to spend my vacation waking up early

sightseeing is actually fine depending on the climate and how tired I am but museums really need more places to sit down

after the week passes and I finally get to go back to my home, I have to do the airplane and airport thing all over again!

the hassles of travelling imo aren't justified by the new sceneries anymore

I agree. I don't like travelling unless there's a specific thing or things I want to see/experience. 

I'm rarely interested in cities. 

• Like 2

Even if I didn't have a phobia of flying I wouldn't want to deal with the long lines and TSA and all that. I'd rather take a car or train.

• Like 2
fooledbysecrecy

friends (the tv show)

summer, sunbathing, the heat and all that

pubs and clubs

the whole alcohol/getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk culture

dogs (i wouldn't say i hate them but i just don't get the hype. plus i'm slightly scared of them.)

10 hours ago, fooledbysecrecy said:

summer, sunbathing, the heat and all that

pubs and clubs

the whole alcohol/getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk culture

I am with you on these. I prefer autumn and winter, and I HATE bot being in control of my own body so, no booze

Grumpy Alien

Cartoons

• Like 1
Rockblossom

Titanic

Any sweet drink.  (Hate sodas and learned never to order iced tea in the Deep South.)

Chocolate

Parties.  All of them.  

• 1 month later...

Please do not hate me for this, but...I really do not like Harry Potter.

I will admit that the third book & movie both were good to me when I was younger & I "tolerate" those the most, but I genuinely do not care for the franchise as a whole. I respect there are people who love HP & the creativity it allows for them to have/display, but I couldn't stand it for a while. I have a sister who loves the franchise to this day (she used to be terrible when it came to HP, we've caught her whispering the flame spell while turning on the oven as if she has powers) & she was really annoying when it came to how much she liked it. When ABC Family had their marathons for the movies that already came out during weekends/holidays, she hogged up the TV those times & watched them as if she didn't have the DVD sets. Not only that, but she had the books & she even had one of the games for the PlayStation 2.

I like how people have been inspired by Harry Potter & how they've grown to love him/his friends/enemies/etc., but I'd be fine if I never got exposed to it so much as a kid. Personally, I really liked a variety of different things & this franchise was something other people I know loved deeply. I have a best friend who picked their Hogwarts house & they know I don't care much for HP, but they don't resent me for it. My sister said she's a Gryffindor at some point, but I dunno if she still believes that since I never asked. I follow The Try Guys & they even did a brief video explaining the houses, it was great seeing them accurately match each one without compromising their actual personalities.

I always felt iffy about JK Rowling & I could never get myself to like Harry Potter enough to change my view on it, I definitely didn't bother with the Fantastic Beasts franchise either despite how many ads I saw for it. I hope nobody gets upset, I just can't see myself getting into this stuff. :////

• Like 1

Oh cool. If there's one thing I love, it's hating popular things. Let's see...

Superhero movies - There are way too many of them and they all look and feel the same. All cinema has become monotonous and boring lately. Everything's just a slight variation on one of four or five basic plot formulas.

Lizzo - Never seen so many racist stereotypes embodied in a single person. She's obese, loud, obnoxious, overconfident, flamboyant, likes twerking, and dresses in bright colors. If I were a black woman, I would be annoyed at her existence.

Apple - What's not to hate about Apple? They've long since ceased to push the limits of technological advancement and have instead started pushing the limits of consumer pricing. Their fans are drooling idiots who would buy a literal dog turd as long as it had an Apple logo on it. Seriously, take literally any object, slap an Apple logo on it, and you instantly increase its perceived value a hundredfold. Apple doesn't have to be good. They don't have to be innovative. They just have to be Apple.

"Original" movies and shows from streaming services like Netflix and Hulu - I understand they're trying to get more people subscribed to their services by offering exclusive content, but it's not gonna work on me. If you want me to watch, you'll have to offer something that's actually interesting, engaging, and different. Instead all they're doing is pandering to different social justice movements and already oversaturated fandoms. I can't take the cringe. Then of course there's Cuties. If you don't know what that is, look it up. It will tell you everything that's wrong with our culture.

Silicon Valley - Yeah, I know that sounds weird coming from a tech nerd like me, but I've seen footage of that area, and it's just not what it used to be. It may have been a technological wonderland in the 80's and 90's, but by now it's become a literal shithole. No, really, there's literally feces lying everywhere. It's a shithole. Not to mention the rent there is so bad that even with six-figure incomes people are living in communal Podshare homes that eerily resemble the Auchwitze concentration camp.

TikTok - As I understand, it's basically YouTube, except that you can't make a video longer than 1 minute. WTF is the point of that? Why would you jump to an entirely different platform just so that you can't make long videos? How is that a benefit to anyone?

Taylor Swift - I know the media likes to treat her like some kind of progressive darling, but in reality she's a narcissistic spoiled brat. Raised in an upper middle class family and given everything by her parents (private education, private guitar lessons, even her own private recording studio), and now has more money than virtually anyone else in the world, yet still manages to complain about how oppressed she is.

Celebrity culture in general - I'm so sick of these people sitting in their ivory towers telling everyone else how to behave, yet never following their own advice. Like when Leonardo DeCaprio lectured everyone about the need to cut CO2 emissions while flying around in his own private jet. Or when all these celebrities broke down in tears over people not wanting to take in migrants in their neighborhoods, and then when given the opportunity to house migrants in their empty mansions, they suddenly went AWOL. Fuck these people. They're total hypocrites who live in La La Land and think the rules of society don't apply to them.

FaerySilverwings

I think the ones that people get genuinely offended that I don't like if it comes up in conversation are Harry Potter, dogs, and children.

• Like 2
DuranDuranfan
9 hours ago, fgdsayshi said:

Please do not hate me for this, but...I really do not like Harry Potter.

I will admit that the third book & movie both were good to me when I was younger & I "tolerate" those the most, but I genuinely do not care for the franchise as a whole. I respect there are people who love HP & the creativity it allows for them to have/display, but I couldn't stand it for a while. I have a sister who loves the franchise to this day (she used to be terrible when it came to HP, we've caught her whispering the flame spell while turning on the oven as if she has powers) & she was really annoying when it came to how much she liked it. When ABC Family had their marathons for the movies that already came out during weekends/holidays, she hogged up the TV those times & watched them as if she didn't have the DVD sets. Not only that, but she had the books & she even had one of the games for the PlayStation 2.

I like how people have been inspired by Harry Potter & how they've grown to love him/his friends/enemies/etc., but I'd be fine if I never got exposed to it so much as a kid. Personally, I really liked a variety of different things & this franchise was something other people I know loved deeply. I have a best friend who picked their Hogwarts house & they know I don't care much for HP, but they don't resent me for it. My sister said she's a Gryffindor at some point, but I dunno if she still believes that since I never asked. I follow The Try Guys & they even did a brief video explaining the houses, it was great seeing them accurately match each one without compromising their actual personalities.

I always felt iffy about JK Rowling & I could never get myself to like Harry Potter enough to change my view on it, I definitely didn't bother with the Fantastic Beasts franchise either despite how many ads I saw for it. I hope nobody gets upset, I just can't see myself getting into this stuff. :////

I’m not a Harry Potter fan either so we’re in the same boat.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DuranDuranfan said:

T_T thank goodness someone gets me.

• Like 2
Cyberspace2001
29 minutes ago, fgdsayshi said:

Same here. I want to try to get into it, but it seems like a lot. lol