Something you hate that everybody else likes?

Crazycrazycultist

J. van Deijck

Fame.

I've never pursued it. Even on my Instagram page I am anonymous, there's only my nickname, age and location there, but you can't find even a single photo of my face. People know there's some photographer in the city, but they don't know for sure who exactly it is. And I love it that way. I want to tell stories with my photos and to pass people on the streets without being recognised. It gives me some sense of freedom.

• Like 4
Alaska Native Manitou
1 hour ago, alsjeblieft said:

Yeah and while I enjoy some true crime, I can't stand horror stories because, no offense anyone, I find them stupid. Just my personal opinion.

Thrillers too. How does one enjoy seeing people suffer for no real reason?

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
7 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokee Princess said:

Thrillers too. How does one enjoy seeing people suffer for no real reason?

So true :ph34r:

• Like 1
TheSpinachCartel

Riverdale 👀 

Sorry man its just NOT archie. And i love archie. Also i haven't watched much of it, but from what I understand it erases Jugheads asexual aromanticness. Not cool man, not cool. 

• Like 1
bare_trees
14 hours ago, TheSpinachCartel said:

Riverdale 👀 

Sorry man its just NOT archie. And i love archie. Also i haven't watched much of it, but from what I understand it erases Jugheads asexual aromanticness. Not cool man, not cool. 

I still can't believe people genuinely like it. 😂 I thought everyone was watching it as a joke. Although I guess it couldn't have lasted this long if that were the case. And yeah--they definitely don't get Jughead right (no offense to the actor).

J. van Deijck

Romance novels :P

@Sally @alsjeblieft I wouldn't necessarily say that I hate computer/video games, but I definitely don't have the patience for them. Alternatively, give me something engaging, with just several game variables to select from (rather than a bewildering number of hyper-realistic settings) and set it to the "casual" difficulty level :D The only computer game I have been into to the point of playing it for hours a day was an early edition of FIFA (to the point that I had the 20-or-so-characters-long serial number memorised due to having to input it every time when I wanted to play). The more recent FIFAs have way too many settings to choose from for me to bother. I'm sure this makes the game feel more realistic for the actual afficionados, but it's also something that puts me off trying to learn it.

@alsjeblieft @daveb I've been to several concerts in the late '00s (both internationally-known bands, such as Therion, and local acts) but I stopped caring after 2 years or so. Paying for a concert ticket, oftentimes the train ticket (as the bigger bands would typically go to some mainstay concert destinations such as Warsaw), and all this for 2 or 3 hours of music. The live music part was usually good, don't get me wrong, but it didn't feel enough to justify the expense.

• Like 3
J. van Deijck

@Piotrek that's one of my reasons as well :ph34r:

• Like 3
TheSmolFoxWeeb

I absolutely despise slime

• Like 1
Sleepy Otter

Hot weather. I don’t know why people love hot weather…give me winter any time.

Superhero movies/tv shows, Star Wars (I have seen the original three and liked them okay, but can go the rest of my life without seeing them again), and movies/tv shows about drugs or the mafia.

Fireworks and other loud noise things. And I have to wear ear plugs at concerts because it is too loud (also why I don’t really go to them much anymore).  It helps, but I can listen at home how I want.

Cities.  Too loud, too chaotic, too many people, too tall.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Sleepy Otter said:

Hot weather. I don’t know why people love hot weather…give me winter any time.

Superhero movies/tv shows, Star Wars (I have seen the original three and liked them okay, but can go the rest of my life without seeing them again), and movies/tv shows about drugs or the mafia.

Fireworks and other loud noise things. And I have to wear ear plugs at concerts because it is too loud (also why I don’t really go to them much anymore).  It helps, but I can listen at home how I want.

Cities.  Too loud, too chaotic, too many people, too tall.

Give me a pool and hot weather, a match made in heaven! Plus hot weather is nice! The only bad thing about very very hot weather (saying this as someone who has lived in countries with deserts) is that sometimes the pavement gets so hot that you can literally fry an egg on it lol. And if you are barefoot you have to keep jumping up and down in leaps.... especially at the pool to avoid getting burned. Around the pool that is a good way to crack your skull or lose some teeth... if you slip and fall. I've seen it happen - people taking nasty spills as they are running to jump into the pool.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sleepy Otter said:

Hot weather. I don’t know why people love hot weather

I'm with you on this. My brother just retired and moved to Arizona. When I retired I moved north. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Sleepy Otter said:

Fireworks and other loud noise things.

Also with you on this. I think fireworks can be pretty, but I don't care for the noise and the crowds that usually go along with them. I wear earplugs when I got to see a movie in the theater - it helps diminish the volume of things like explosions, but I find I can actually hear the dialog better with them. I was never into loud music.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

Superhero movies/tv shows

Seconded.

Fireworks

That too, but not for the noise itself. They can be flashy.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

Seconded.

That too, but not for the noise itself. They can be flashy.

Why? Fireworks I can understand because of your health issues but still fireworks are AWESOME! But super hero movies and TV shows! :D

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
Just now, Calliers said:

Why? Fireworks are AWESOME! So are super hero movies and TV shows! :D

Epilepsy? Not everyone can deal with these :lol:

• Like 4
1 minute ago, alsjeblieft said:

Epilepsy? Not everyone can deal with these :lol:

Yes I modified my post after I remembered that I had made a fatal error! But obviously not fast enough! 🤣

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
2 minutes ago, Calliers said:

Yes I modified my post after I remembered that I had made a fatal error! But obviously not fast enough! 🤣

...oepsies. :lol:

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'm with you on this. My brother just retired and moved to Arizona.

This reminds me. Polish writer H. Sienkiewicz (of Quo Vadis fame) wrote a collection of letters describing his travels around the 1870s US and there is a moment when, while staying in California, he talks to one well-travelled guy about his own further plans. When Sienkiewicz mentions Arizona, he's advised to steer clear of the place because it's just one big plantless, waterless desert. :P 

• Like 3

To be fair, there are probably some places at higher elevations that have a cooler climate, but not where my brother moved to. He is basically just out on the desert. I need cooler climates and trees and stuff. :D 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
27 minutes ago, daveb said:

I need cooler climates and trees and stuff. :D 

Small rainy Belgium, the oddball of Europe :lol: but it's already around 20°C, and it's an average temperature of summer :lol:

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

Oh wait. Things have been strange recently.

Spoiler

12c847e53e4bb99b74f21926218093032bfc789c

• Like 1

Is it common for people to dislike onion? I really like it but whenever I want to buy a kebab with veggies or something similar, I get asked specifically if onion should be included. No such questions about other vegetables. So either they are commonly disliked or, I don't know, maybe an allergen?

Looking around the Internet, people often seem to dislike raisins. 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

I dislike raisins, too :lol: And I have a nut allergy. 

But for onions, I have no idea. I love onions in any form :D

I hated peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when I was a kid. I’ve always loved peanut butter, but not jelly. I preferred tuna or egg salad sandwiches, oh yeah and grilled cheese.

Also I thought the chocolate milk they gave us at school tasted like shit. All the other kids thought I was weird for preferring the “white milk”.

• Like 2

Raisins are okay. I sometimes get raisins cover in dark chocolate, and recently I am enjoying sour raisins. But I could do without them in baked goods usually.

I'm not a fan of onions, especially actual pieces of onion (as opposed to something like onion powder which doesn't leave onion chunks). In part because I'm not fond of foods with chunks like that, and in part because I don't care much for the experience of biting into a piece of onion. No onion rings, no slices of onion on burgers, no onions in salads or however else people use onions in dishes.

I was never into peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I don't like some combinations of foods. I do like peanut butter and I do like jelly on toast, but not PB&J together.

• Like 1

Lol, how did I manage to misread the title of the thread? This was supposed to go to "something you like, that everyone else hates". Duh.

For the record I DO like both raisins and raw onion (I could forgo the carmelized, though).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Piotrek said:

both raisins and raw onion

But maybe not together? :lol: 

• Like 1
Alaska Native Manitou
13 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Is it common for people to dislike onion? I really like it but whenever I want to buy a kebab with veggies or something similar, I get asked specifically if onion should be included. No such questions about other vegetables. So either they are commonly disliked or, I don't know, maybe an allergen?

Looking around the Internet, people often seem to dislike raisins. 

6 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Lol, how did I manage to misread the title of the thread? This was supposed to go to "something you like, that everyone else hates". Duh.

For the record I DO like both raisins and raw onion (I could forgo the carmelized, though).

I also misread the title. As a child I ate things with onion, cabbage and other foods - only to learn in adulthood that I'm allergic.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

In normal circumstances, a chicken broth.

• Like 1