Something you hate that everybody else likes?

Crazycrazycultist

J. van Deijck

Lavender. I can't stand the smell of it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

Lavender. I can't stand the smell of it.

Can't say I'm fond of it either. Although I do like some other floral scents.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
20 minutes ago, daveb said:

Can't say I'm fond of it either. Although I do like some other floral scents.

Other floral scents are usually fine, just not this particular one please :P

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

Other floral scents are usually fine, just not this particular one please :P

Lavender also doesn't seem to play well with my migraines.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
1 minute ago, daveb said:

Lavender also doesn't seem to play well with my migraines.

Sounds familiar :ph34r:

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

Snakes.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:14 AM, Gloomy said:

I hated peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when I was a kid. I’ve always loved peanut butter, but not jelly. I preferred tuna or egg salad sandwiches, oh yeah and grilled cheese.

Also I thought the chocolate milk they gave us at school tasted like shit. All the other kids thought I was weird for preferring the “white milk”.

I fucking loved peanut butter and bananna sandwiches when I was a kid until one day my lunch got toasted by the sun when I was working on a boat. Ruined that for me ever since. PB and J too since it's a similiar texture to what happened to my banannas under the sun.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, E said:

I fucking loved peanut butter and bananna sandwiches when I was a kid until one day my lunch got toasted by the sun when I was working on a boat. Ruined that for me ever since. PB and J too since it's a similiar texture to what happened to my banannas under the sun.

Ha that reminds me, the nasty curly fries they gave to us when I was in middle school ruined curly fries for me. Apple juice was also ruined for me when I was like 5 because one time I was sick and I thought drinking a bunch of apple juice would make me feel better. I ended up throwing it up and hated apple juice ever since.

• Like 3
Just now, Gloomy said:

Ha that reminds me, the nasty curly fries they gave to us when I was in middle school ruined curly fries for me. Apple juice was also ruined for me when I was like 5 because one time I was sick and I thought drinking a bunch of apple juice would make me feel better. I ended up throwing it up and hated apple juice ever since.

I remember my experience with pancakes that forever turned me off them. I was hungry and wanted lots to eat, so in typical kid fashion, I wanted too much. My parents weren't having none of that and made me eat what I ordered. I don't think I got sick, but I felt like a walking tub of cake, and that forever curbed me from pancakes of any kind. I can barely eat them, and have honestly only ever done so when I was starving or offered them as a guest at somebody's. Eat the least I can then say I was done.

Ham of most kinds is also something I can't stand, especially cold. I think it's mainly because every time I eat anything with ham, it shows on my face. I don't seem to have trouble with acne and other stuff, but ham does me in every time and gives me a few weeks worth of irritation.

• Like 4
J. van Deijck
16 minutes ago, E said:

Ham of most kinds is also something I can't stand, especially cold. I think it's mainly because every time I eat anything with ham, it shows on my face. I don't seem to have trouble with acne and other stuff, but ham does me in every time and gives me a few weeks worth of irritation.

Might you have some kind of food allergy?

That's what I have with nuts, particularly hazelnuts. Nothing severe, but it's visible on my face as well as it starts itching and swelling, and sometimes I get skin rash from it. And nothing irritates me more on this matter than the fact that Belgians put hazelnuts in 80% of their chocolates. One of the reasons why I avoid Belgian chocolate like a plague, even though it's credited as one of the best in the world.

One food that's been ruined for me is meatballs because as much as my mum can cook, she's been always terrible with meatballs, making them practically inedible. Just a few years ago I started with them again when I got proven that there are people out there who know how to make good meatballs. 

• Like 3
ThatBadCat

Sauces. The type you add onto cooked food, like ketchup, mayo, HP sauce.... keep that slime away from my food!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, E said:

Oh yeah. I think something similar is why I don't like sandwiches that have both meat and cheese. Decades ago when I was a young teen I was on a long bus ride between Arizona and California, with ham and cheese sandwiches that got "baked" in the heat and totally grossed me out by the time I tried to eat one. Although I do like ham sandwiches and cheese sandwiches, just no meat and cheese in one. Not even cheeseburgers. :P 

It's funny how a bad experience like that can turn people off of some foods.

• Like 2
bare_trees
4 hours ago, ThatBadCat said:

Sauces. The type you add onto cooked food, like ketchup, mayo, HP sauce.... keep that slime away from my food!

I've never met anyone else who actually cannot stand ketchup.  I don't like a lot of condiments...but there's something about ketchup and the way it's assumed that you must like it on fries, etc. 😂

• Like 1
bare_trees

Buc-ee's.  I mean, I don't hate it, but I don't understand it.  Everyone in the Southern U.S. seems to get all excited when you talk about stopping at Buc-ee's on a trip.  I walked into the one in Alabama once, and I couldn't take the overwhelming smell of so much meat being cooked for a (relatively) small building and t-shirts that say things like, "Sometimes I laugh so hard the tears roll down my legs."  I tried the beaver nuggets once, and they were basically good--kind of like if someone took Corn Pops and made a caramelized candy out of them?  But otherwise, I don't ever want to go in there again.

Siimo van der fietspad

Oasis. Most overrated band in history, a mediocre mush of out of tune doggerel lyrics and derivative guitar riffs. Actually, come to think of it, I probably could assemble a modest cohort of other people I know who also hate Oasis. The only good thing is that it's so easy to take the mick out of angry Mancunian fist-face Liam Gallagher and his stupid prancing around in stupid costumes with a stupid haircut.

I also hate Fur Elise even though I really like Beethoven in general.

• Like 1
Alaska Native Manitou
1 hour ago, Guybrush Threepwood said:

Dogs. I will never understand why anyone likes them.

I once read that "man's best friends" kill 25,000 people a year.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 2SpiritCherokee Princess said:

I once read that "man's best friends" kill 25,000 people a year.

I can easily believe that. Over here there are news stories frequently about a dog killing someone or badly injuring them and quite often a child. The owner tends to say something about how the dog was so lovely and would never hurt a fly. It’s a dangerous animal and has instincts and doesn’t necessarily get provoked before something happens. I hate to think how many animals are ripped to shreds by dogs too each year because of course it’s so hard to put it on a lead when walking through a field of sheep. 🙄

Alaska Native Manitou

So many people got pets to keep them company during lockdown. Now they're going out again and bringing their little monsters with them everywhere! I sure am sick of people insisting that the beast is friendly while it barks and lunges at me. I carry pepper spray now, but haven't had to use it. When the owner sees that the vicious little angel may face consequences, they actually take control of their little fiend - as they should have from the beginning.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
8 hours ago, Guybrush Threepwood said:

Dogs. I will never understand why anyone likes them.

Me neither, to be honest. Especially small dogs (these seem to make much more noise) and with an exception of German shepherds, these are at least smart.

• Like 1
On 6/5/2022 at 11:41 PM, alsjeblieft said:

Might you have some kind of food allergy?

That's what I have with nuts, particularly hazelnuts. Nothing severe, but it's visible on my face as well as it starts itching and swelling, and sometimes I get skin rash from it. And nothing irritates me more on this matter than the fact that Belgians put hazelnuts in 80% of their chocolates. One of the reasons why I avoid Belgian chocolate like a plague, even though it's credited as one of the best in the world.

One food that's been ruined for me is meatballs because as much as my mum can cook, she's been always terrible with meatballs, making them practically inedible. Just a few years ago I started with them again when I got proven that there are people out there who know how to make good meatballs. 

Na, just cheap ham. If it's processed ham, it'll show up as zits in a few days. I think it has to do with all the nitrates. I can eat actual ham, but because I don't taste much of a difference between the real deal and glued together processed garbage I avoid all of it with the exception to bacon on rare occassions.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokee Princess said:

So many people got pets to keep them company during lockdown. Now they're going out again and bringing their little monsters with them everywhere! I sure am sick of people insisting that the beast is friendly while it barks and lunges at me. I carry pepper spray now, but haven't had to use it. When the owner sees that the vicious little angel may face consequences, they actually take control of their little fiend - as they should have from the beginning.

There was an incident this year in which an aggressive dog was barking at me and my parents. The owner was nowhere in sight (when are they ever in control?!). We ignored it until it started biting at my mum. 

I sent the dog running with its tail between its legs... (no violence but me shouting in complete rage scared the 💩 out of it.)

J. van Deijck
2 hours ago, E said:

Na, just cheap ham. If it's processed ham, it'll show up as zits in a few days. I think it has to do with all the nitrates. I can eat actual ham, but because I don't taste much of a difference between the real deal and glued together processed garbage I avoid all of it with the exception to bacon on rare occassions.

That can be it. Processed food often contains, like, a half of periodic table and it's not only elements that are necessary for our functioning :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Guybrush Threepwood said:

There was an incident this year in which an aggressive dog was barking at me and my parents. The owner was nowhere in sight (when are they ever in control?!). We ignored it until it started biting at my mum

I sent the dog running with its tail between its legs... (no violence but me shouting in complete rage scared the 💩 out of it.)

Oh my 😮 my mum had such a situation years ago, we went to visit her friends when I was a kid and their dog has bitten her leg out of nowhere and for no good reason. A few years later, the same thing has happened at one of my cousins. They took her dog to the vet and kept him isolated, and since then, our cousin doesn't keep in touch with us anymore, just like it was my mum's fault that her dog was biting people for no reason.

• Like 1

I'm not a dog person and I don't like it when dogs are aggressive (whether it's snarly anger, or being protective, or just overly friendly, or whatever) or when they engage in things like excessive barking. I have no desire to have a dog myself. I put at least some of the blame for the dog's behavior on their owners. Like my next door neighbors who let their dog out in front of their house without a leash while they are playing. Fine, play with your dog, but the dog gets aggressive if I happen to go out the front of my house when it is out there. People should try to train their dogs, and if they can't do that or the dog won't behave the people need to be in control and restrain the dog when it can be causing issues with other people (or other animals).

But some dogs are really sweet. And I do appreciate the carefree love of life that many dogs seem to have, living in the joy of the moment. 

• Like 3
Siimo van der fietspad

Yes, the problem is often the dumb owners who firstly don't understand what they are taking on, and then are too lazy to train their dog properly, pay proper attention or have the social intelligence to keep it controlled in public. Worst is when they let it do something clearly irresponsible - such as letting three or four run around near children or a busy foot and cycle path whilst they are miles away yakking on their phone - and then get really, really angry when someone points it out, because it's really a citation of their own stupidity. One day I'm sure I will end up knocking down one that just runs out of nowhere or chases after me and goes under the bike.

Mind you, I know a couple who have had a pretty docile breed for decades and have always trained them thoroughly...and one still bit someone and had to be executed.

• Like 3
J. van Deijck
35 minutes ago, daveb said:

But some dogs are really sweet.

I must admit that @Sammie M's dog seems really cute ♡ but that's really an exception within an exception for me.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
On 6/6/2022 at 5:50 PM, bare_trees said:

I've never met anyone else who actually cannot stand ketchup.  I don't like a lot of condiments...but there's something about ketchup and the way it's assumed that you must like it on fries, etc. 😂

In my country ketchup on fries is considered something odd :lol:

Anyways, you're not alone. My dad hates ketchup as well :P

• Like 3