Avatar: The Last Airbender fun poll

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Avatar: The Last Airbender Nation do you belong to?

• Water Tribe
    • Earth Kingdom
    • Fire Nation
    • Air Nomads

7 minutes ago, Arodash said:

I believe the air nomads are based on Budhist monks

I thought that, but since the others were clearly a specific culture, I didn't understand how one could be a religion. 

6 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Because religion for many is their culture at least many culture's are reflective of their religions

I consider religion an aspect of someone's culture, even if it freqently overpowers one's national culture. I get Christianity is a culture separate from Islam, but American Christians are different from German Christians (ignoring the different denominations of Christian for a minute), just like Japanese Buddhists are different from Burmese Buddhists. To have 3 nations based on countries with clear characteristics like appearance, dress, hierarchial structure, and one based only on a religion? It feels lacking in dedication. 

1 minute ago, Arodash said:

Well the air nomads exist in 4 different temples with 4 different cultures the only thing linking them being the core tenents of the air nomads, its explicitly stated they arent a nation

And the Water tribes are in two separate tribes, but you don't really see that distinction made. They have some cultural differences but not enough to wave it away in the same way. 

But I didn't realize they weren't considered a nation like the others. I guess the only thing linking them would basically be their separation as an element?

3 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Actually their cultural divide leads to a civil war between the southeren and northeren tribes during the Legend of Kora series

I'm ignoring the LoK series due to it's mixing of the different regions and honestly confusion regarding quite a lot of what I thought they were going for. I don't think we get anything from the Fire Nation in LoK other than Zuko being cool, the Air "nation" is created from a single family and then just a random scattering of people, the Earth Kingdom has a revolution going on eventually, and the Water Tribes had something about rulers? 

The LoK series kinda sucked imo and I couldn't pay attention since it seemed like they were confused about the larger meanings of things. 

3 minutes ago, Arodash said:

The series fell into kind of crap during the first season. I felt the Republic city was very cool and the tensions between benders and nonbenders was very interesting

Changed that for you.

I thought it was interesting basically until the last episode or two? I don't remember much other than feeling like Korra got air bending and the avatar state because the plot demanded it, not because of anything she did, and was able to solve all the huge problems easily as a result. I know the avatar state was used as a get-out-of-jail-free card in the original series, but I also remember it having more weight and meaning. 

It was like two years or more until I watched seasons 2-4, and even those I don't remember as well. Just that I thought 1 < 2 < 3 < 4. 

Luftschlosseule

Fun thing: There is more than one kind of buddhism, and every region has their own version. I am not into it enough to be able to say which region was adapted for the air nomads, but I am sure that if you were to be knowledgeable on the topic, you'd see pretty clear distinctions on various differences.

Grumpy Alien
10 hours ago, LibraGirl said:

76% water tribe according to this quiz! 

Congratulations! You are a member of the Water Tribe! The people of the Water Tribe pride themselves on being loving, kindhearted, and authentic. They want their lives to be self-actualized and have meaning. They strive to be genuine and to be in harmony with the inner experiences of self. They try to avoid a life of bad faith and to live a life of significance, making a difference in the world. They want to help others become kinder, warmer, and more loving human beings. They seek to reform the world and to romanticize their experiences and lives, and also the experiences and lives of others. At their best they are altruistic, benevolent, conscientious, empathic, enthusiastic, ethical, even-tempered, genuine, idealistic, inspired, intuitive, loyal, persistent, reliable, respectful, self-sacrificing, sensitive, sincere, sympathetic, thoughtful, understanding, visionaries, and well-organized. At their worst they can be credulous, critical, depressed, detached, difficult, exacting, guilt prone, hard to please, indecisive, inflexible, judgmental, moody, moralistic, negative, perfectionists, picky, resentful, self-righteous, stuffy, suspicious, touchy, unforgiving, and unrealistic.

• 1 month later...
NerdAlert93

Air nomad.  Apparently, people who know me claim I give off an air aura.

Archived