Age and sexuality

GingerRose

?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What age did you realize your sexuality?

• 12 or under
    • 13-18
    • 19-24
    • 25-40
    • 41+
    • I haven't yet, I am still figuring it out.

This poll is closed to new votes

BlakeTheNightowl~

i  knew my whole life but didn't know the term till like 2 yrs ago lol

21 or 22

Rhyn Corinn

I pretty much knew I wasn't interested in sex when I was 14 (maybe 13 but idk), but it wasn't until I was about 16 that I realized how unusual that was, and I was 17 when I finally found out about asexuality.

I realized something was up when I was 18, but found the label and realized what I was feeling around 19 I believe. 

Grey-Ace Ventura

Since 15, I've been figuring stuff out but I figured out my true sexuality at 17.

Well, I first started thinking I was bi when I was around 18, then I thought I was a lesbian when I was 21, then I started thinking I was asexual when I was 23 or 24. Then I eventually started thinking I was bi again, albeit a graysexual one. Within the past year I’ve realized “graysexual” probably doesn’t fit me. 

So I guess technically I first realized when I was 18, but then thought I was something else until I was in my mid/late 20’s, lol.

Skycaptain

Grumpy Alien

24, I think. I assumed I was heterosexual until I was 18 and heard of demisexuality. Then when I was about 20, I thought maybe I was asexual. It wasn’t until I met my now husband that I really understood that heterosexual does not mean nymphomaniac. I decided to forgo labels because I don’t think they did me any good. They constrained my thinking. Since then, I’ve happily stuck to being myself and accepting whatever preferences float my boat.

Anomaly Q3Xr

Always known I had no interest in sexual activity despite strong romantic attractions, I was around 30 (2013/14) when I found out there was an actual name for it.

• 2 weeks later...

24 when I figured out what asexuality was and that yes, that definitely fit me, but I never did have any sort of attraction/interest in anyone, so I probably should've figured that out sooner... but I didn't even really give it any thought until I was already 18 or so, and not much then at that.

I'm curious what this poll would look like for different orientations. I bet for most heterosexuals it would be much much younger than for aces. I'd guess bi and gay would be in between on average.  

binary suns

I was AVEN for awhile before settling on an orientation. I used to ID as grey, but currently ID as ace. So I put 25-40

I reasoned I must be bisexual at 14 because I felt no differently towards either sex.  I didn't know being asexual was a thing--I just assumed becoming interested in one sex or the other happened as a matter of course--so if I didn't have a preference, must be bisexual, right?

15 was when I realized, oh wait, people actually feel specific things when they're [insert prefix]sexual.  Sooo, definitely not bisexual, then.  I landed on the term asexual at that time, although I haven't a clue where or how I found it.

I was 16-17 when I realized that I had different feelings from most people. I was 18 when I researched and fully embraced the term asexual.

I knew my whole life, but we didn't have a term for it. Was glad when I did learn there were others like me, helped alot.

• 2 weeks later...
Peace_of_Ace

I wasn't sure how to answer this.  I pretty much knew as a teen (13-18) but my father in particular told me it wasn't ok, that he wanted me to have a "normal life" instead of being a lonely freak.  So I suppressed it (with the help of alcohol dependency) until recently in my mid thirties.  I got sober and some hard truths bubbled to the surface.  Please don't doubt yourself.  Be true to yourself.  Respect your own boundaries.  💛

fooledbysecrecy

25, always knew i wasn't interested in sex but didn't know there was a name for it and i wasn't a freak until that

I honestly had no clue until I found the term asexual at 18 and everything clicked. Though I am open to the idea of things changing/being different than I thought in the future.

I had an inkling when someone came out to me as ace when I was 16. Scared me too much, and denied it for a good chunk of my life. Didn’t fully realize, accept, and embrace it until I was 31. I’m 35 now. 

• 11 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived