What is your Silver Lining during COVID-19?

Has the situation with COVID-19 brought any positivity to your life? What is your silver lining?

I'll start... It's given me the time to think my mental health issues through and now I plan to see a therapist again :) 

The silver lining for the Communist Party of China has been that it has given them free rein to crush democracy in Hong Kong.

Even more positive news is that the Communist Party of China has removed references to "peaceful" in its desire for reunification with Taiwan. Hopefully, the CCP doesn't try to crush democracy in Taiwan through a brutal military invasion in addition to crushing Hong Kong democracy.

ace bookdragon

It's given me more time to stay away from people and be on my own, which is how I prefer to be.

Starry Sky

I've had the opportunity to do the same as you, LibraGirl. Now I'm just impatient for my therapist to open back up. I've also had all the time in the world to focus on the things I enjoy that I never have the time to do with school and work in the way. The time I've had to myself and to spend with loved ones has been very valuable to me. 

everywhere and nowhere

For me it's just not that bad. I don't need much contact with people, I'm fine staying at home, and the epidemic gives me an excuse. ;)

I'm also, to some extent, glad that the epidemic made me switch temporarily from public transportation to cycling. I have to be able to get to places, but the condition of my right knee joint is making me realise that, sooner or later, surgery is inevitable. I may have a lot less problems with my knee since I lost weight, but 10+ km on a bike is very bad for my knee joint and I suspect that in the end I may require an endoprosthetic implant... It's all a result of an injury, 25 years ago, which probably never fully healed and for many years, my weight certainly didn't help it... :(

Anthracite_Impreza

Much, much RPing has occurred, friendships have been strengthened and I'm learning who truly cares about me.

25 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

The silver lining for the Communist Party of China has been that it has given them free rein to crush democracy in Hong Kong.

It was only a matter of time. Jingping had to save face, from the humiliating defeat at the hand of the protesters so far.  

You take them down with a swift crushing blow, and reassert your power. 

Control their minds, you control their bodies. He has done this via fear, and brutality. 

In Hong Kong, you could already see the end was near. The only silver lining to this, are the many wealthy investors flocking overseas to spend their fortunes. 

27 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Hopefully, the CCP doesn't try to crush democracy in Taiwan through a brutal military invasion in addition to crushing Hong Kong democracy.

I don't see that happening. 

It would create a global conflict and crippling damage to China's economy.

Chocolatastic AroAce
3 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Much, much RPing has occurred, friendships have been strengthened and I'm learning who truly cares about me.

Love you to Anth. Yeah rping with online friends is always the highlight of my day. I still work so i'm not on as much as I would like but it is great fun when I can join in. Not as dull or dumb as one might think. We have some laughs and do silly things. Lots of times though things can get really deep and beautiful.

Alawyn-Aebt

Now I have the time to try to learn Serbo-Croatian-Bosnian-Montenegrin. (It's all one language but Balkan politics makes it seem like many.)

3 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Reminds me of an article I saw about catching a feral cat it basically said "use her kids" 

Most feral cats are pretty protective of their kits, so this makes a lot of sense.

firewallflower

I've been spending much more time at home hanging out with my family (not that I have an alternative). It also inspired me to reach out and reconnect with some people I hadn't been in touch with for a while. Free live streams, virtual programming, etc. have enabled me to participate in more activities and attend more "performances" than I could have if they met physically. And, instead of waking up an hour earlier to commute to my morning class, I just need to get dressed a few minutes before signing onto Zoom. 😛

nutterwithasolderingiron

i've cycled an avg of 8 miles per day every day. some days i've went to the 15-20 mile mark. some days i've not been able to. 

lelisabeth

The only good thing that came about for me from all this was that I found AVEN when I was supposed to be working from home one day. That and we aren't doing programming at the library right now so I don't have to do storytimes. 

1 hour ago, Arodash said:

I still stand with Hong Kong and Taiwan

Hong Kong is no longer. It was a dramatic difference from just one year when I went there earlier this year. 

You could see the remnants of the carnage, as they filled brick sidewalks with concrete, hastily. Fences along major roads, became chains. 

So many damaged lights and train station parts. 

A resilient bunch of protesters that now know the end is near, almost fully defeated by a regime that can play these games for years if it has to. 

Once your spirit is fully crushed, it's over. They can't kill everyone but their vague new laws ensure they can arrest in droves. Courage will be hard to find as those crowds dwindle knowing there no longer is a chance in the world. 

50 rats in a trenchcoat

realized i was actually genderfluid

1 hour ago, Just Dani said:

Similar to what @Perspektiv said, it's made me reassess my life. I mean, I was already in the process of doing that, but this helped cement some things for me. :) 

For me it was working for a business, being kept in limbo. 

Having your own business, has you in control. 

Also allows for quick thinking to diversify a portfolio to generate cash flow, and allow you to keep employees. IE quick thinking fabric suppliers turning to making masks. 

Bakeries in some cases turning to online with significant proceeds going to those in need. 

Or offering groceries on the side. All delivered right to your door. 

The lack of that killer instinct to keep alive in a business to me is frustrating to watch. 

I am creative, so for me I thrive under this type of pressure. 

Made me truly think about my 5 year personal growth plan. 

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

It would create a global conflict and crippling damage to China's economy.

They don't seem to mind crushing Hong Kong's economy. The CCP cares more about power than the Chinese economy.

Just now, -1=e^ipi said:

They don't seem to mind crushing Hong Kong's economy.

Create desperation and urgency and they will need China more than ever to survive. 

They already bypassed HK for Macau for major economical investments. They can easily make that well behaved area the new Hong Kong, but retain full control of it. 

Freedom doesn't exist in China. It was slowly being chiseled away for years. 

It was so subtle most didn't notice until they got aggressive. 

1 minute ago, Perspektiv said:

It was so subtle most didn't notice until they got aggressive. 

It wasn't subtle at all. From their social credit score, to their "re-education" camps for muslims, to their desire to strengthen the great fire wall.

Rather, a lot of people chose not to take notice. And in some cases, still choose to do so. Such as Trudeau, who refuses to condemn the recent actions by the CCP against Hong Kong.

1 hour ago, Ennis said:

Garlic. Lots of garlic.

This is by far the most intelligent comment 👆

Just a Quail

For me, I've had the time to learn how to bake! It means a lot to me because it's self empowering, and gives me more comfort around the kitchen. I want to start breaking bad eating habits and food barriers, and I think this is a great way to start!

Here are more replies, from this thread: https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/196404-any-positive-covid-19-life-changes/

In the beginning, it was nice for me to not have a long wait for the library's new e-audiobooks, but now, all the titles seem to have long wait lists, again, for brand new listings (because the library only has one copy for each title).

It's been okay, doing yard work, exercising, and listening to audiobooks; it's just hard because I fear going out anywhere in public, now, where there are people (e.g. the bank), worried that I could get the virus from anyone.

My job is one which involves sitting at a computer all day, so I've been teleworking from home. I love it and I'm really not looking forward to having to go back to the office. It's so nice to wake up and know that my workstation is only a few steps away rather than having to brave the traffic and the rush hour to get into work.

2 hours ago, Arodash said:

it doesnt know its already too late

If you think about it, that is the education system of most countries. 

You have a mass assembly line of drone like mindstates ripe for the picking. 

For bananas they use gases to control ripening for mass production. 

We use a system designed to minimize dissent. The genius, is the control isn't noticed until it is too late. 

A lot of what they teach you, especially regarding history, is garbage. Facts are deliberately picked or omitted. 

Many don't question the heroes they are forcefed since childhood. Why so much of history is missing from the curriculums. If you taught them the truth they would demand answers.

Ain't no government got time for that!

The western world is no different, with cover ups and if anything, are worse with theirs. China is quite open about being dicks.

We pay reparations, and keep in on the DL. 

3 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

It wasn't subtle at all.

By subtle, I am eluding to the pro regime curriculum they use in elementary schools.

Indoctrinate them young. Harder for them to resist. 

Want to truly strip their resolve away? Start at the language. Move to their liberties. This is how you crush someone's soul. 

Once that is gone, they are ripe for the taking. 

Archived