I often feel like I don’t identify with being male or female

Jefu

Hi, I’m Jeff (17M)

most of my life I have felt a bit out of place. I felt like a man but like not all the way, I don’t know how to explain it. I like women very much, at one point I thought whether I liked guys. I then realized I do not at all and like only women. But I always feel like Disassociated with being male or female. I often feel like i am neither and this is confusing. I love gender neutral stuff, I just never really explored it until more recently. I like things that you can’t tell who was meant to wear it, also I love cropped tees and hoodies. I like gender neutral scents for my lotions, cologne, etc. I like sort of feeling neutral idk. I do have masculine tendencies because that is how I am, but often I feel like neutral.

BlakeTheNightowl~

non- binary ?

erichamion

First off: You're you, and the you that you are is valid.

Gender and sexuality are two different things. Whether you like women, like guys, both, or neither, does not indicate whether you are masculine, feminine, both, or neither. As a plain-vanilla cis man, I can't offer much in the way of gender help, but there are resources. In fact, this forum has a section for Gender Questions: https://www.asexuality.org/en/forum/57-gender-discussion/

My thoughts, for what little they're worth? If you're a man but "not all the way", possibly you're a non-gender-conforming man - that is, a man who doesn't match up in all ways with the "traditional" ideas of what a man should be. Or as BlakeTheNightowl said, some form of non-binary - something in between man and woman, or even outside that spectrum. Or fluid, sometimes one and sometimes the other. But again, I have little to offer here, so certainly don't take my word for anything. Take the time to figure out who you are, and then if you find a label that helps to communicate that truth, use it.

There's a variety of non-binary identity labels that might suit you.  I recommend that you take a look in the Gender Discussion section.

Grey-Ace Ventura

Hey, Jeff! First of all, remember that gender expression and gender identity are two different things. So for example, a woman can enjoy dressing in men's clothes and such but that does not have to make said woman any less of a woman. That being said, my advice as a trans guy is to just go for what makes you happy. If what makes you happy happens to be using different pronouns like they/them, using neutral cosmetics, wearing neutral clothes, etc., go for it. If certain things turn out to make you uncomfortable, you can always just stop doing those things. This can help you figure out how you see yourself and how you want to be seen, whether it's as a non-conforming male, an agender person, genderfluid, etc. etc. (just examples). If you want a label, find one that fits your identity, not one you'll have to change your identity to fit. Also remember that labels are just guides and not catch-all boxes (unless they're umbrella terms of course).

Janus the Fox

Moved to Gender Discussion

Janus DarkFox

Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Musings and Rantings & Open Mic Moderator

I feel the same way to a point that I’d rather like to transition more femininely to neutralise my male features.

Archived