Favorite Types of Books

GingerRose

?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite types of books?

• Chapter Books
    • Graphic Novels
    • Comic Books
    • Poetry Books
    • Picture Books
    • Cook Books
    • Activity Books
    • Coloring Books
    • Reference Books
    • Holy Books

This poll is closed to new votes

Manga, so I put graphic novels. Though I like light novels too (imagine chapter books but with shorter chapters and generally shorter in complete length). 

Just a Quail

Graphic novels and comic books all the way! Also, very interesting that you put picture books on there. As one can already imagine I'm a huge lover of illustrations, and so many picture books have wonderful artwork matched with great stories. Some authors that instantly come to mind are Eric Carle, Jan Brett, and Rosemary Wells... my list is endless. In hindsight, maybe I should've voted for picture books as well, though I haven't been reading much of them these days lol.

Skycaptain

Academic level textbooks, especially on medicine 

Sports biographies 

Novels 

ace bookdragon

Longer novels (400+ pages) and the occasional manga or graphic novel.

Anthracite_Impreza

I don't read books, haven't for a long time now, but I keep my vehicle, dino and animal encyclopedias cos I know they're the things I may actually want to again one day. Tell a lie, I do still read my fireman handbook but that's cos I'm learning to be a fireman (of the steam locomotive variety).

"Chapter books" is a really interesting term I only figured out from context - but then I'm not a native speaker of English. 😉

So my favourites are chapter books (fiction, as well as non-fiction occasionally), poetry, and comics and graphic novels. 

None of the above?

Just regular novels, generally fantasy.

Aren't the majority of books sold all pretty standard fiction or nonfiction literature? Doesn't seem like 99% of those wouldn't fit into any of those categories 😕

3 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

None of the above?

Just regular novels, generally fantasy.

Aren't the majority of books sold all pretty standard fiction or nonfiction literature? Doesn't seem like 99% of those wouldn't fit into any of those categories 😕

novels are chapter books. Not sure why the OP phrased it that way.

Grumpy Alien

Novels and nonfiction so chapter books

And then I really enjoy adult colouring and activity books as well

Alejandrogynous
7 hours ago, SithEmpress said:

Yeah, usually "chapter books" refers to intermediate level children's books, so this took me a moment to understand too.

What about novels that don't have chapters? :)

The Discworld books don't have chapters (at least none of the regular ones I have read (not counting some of the sort of supplemental ones like the Science of Discworld books)).

2 hours ago, Alejandrogynous said:

Yeah, usually "chapter books" refers to intermediate level children's books

this

Novels, audiobooks, novelas, some short stories, comics on occasion. Mainly SF, Fantasy, Mysteries, Westerns once in a while.

Mainly non fiction- geology, industrial history 

Some autobiographies -  footballers, recreating journeys e.g Thor Heyerdahl

If  fiction - Gay crime /mysteries especially Jack Dickson and my own stuff cos I write the kind of books I like to read.

Not much else. 

Alejandrogynous

Realized I never actually responded here. I read mostly novels, so "chapter books," with the occasional memoir/nonfiction, poetry book, and graphic novel. Cookbooks can be pretty to flip through but I never actually use them so I don't let myself buy them.

Yeah, usually "chapter books" refers to intermediate level children's books

Oh, and "picture books" are usually children's books too, not like art or photography books. Not sure if the OP intended it that way also.

How did I format this so weird...

12 hours ago, SithEmpress said:

Are they? I hadn't heard the term before so I googled it, and Wikipedia, goodreads, and Amazon all stated that chapter books are books specifically for kids 😕

J. van Deijck

Chapter books, I guess? I enjoy novels, non-fiction and biographies. 

It also got me confused here.

4 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

Are they? I hadn't heard the term before so I googled it, and Wikipedia, goodreads, and Amazon all stated that chapter books are books specifically for kids 😕

Really? I always thought novels and chapter books were the same thing, one term was just used for kids. I don't really differentiate the terms. 

Yeah, I confirmed and for some reason "chapter books" is what's used when it's a book for children. But the only difference is the audience demographic. Like Young Adult novels vs. regular novels, there's only a difference because of the general style in the way it's written. So I still consider them basically novels but with a genre attached. 

What I read the most are novels and short story collections, mostly sci-fi, fantasy, mysteries, and other "genre fiction". I also like art books and artists sketchbooks, reference books, some non-fiction, science, history, biographies, and some comic books (not superhero stuff, but things like comic strip collections and other humorous comics) and some that I suppose fall into the graphic novel category.

everywhere and nowhere

I voted "chapter books", and "poetry books", but again I feel not represented. I prefer quality lierature, but mostly non-fiction.

• 2 weeks later...

Novels, primarily science fiction and fantasy, but sometimes mysteries and other assorted types of fiction. I also enjoy non-fiction on topics that I'm interested in (say, dinosaurs, space exploration, trains, etc.), art books, and graphic novels. Also some comic books, if we're making a distinction there (I typically wouldn't, as it's a fairly blurry line).

I didn't vote because I assumed "chapter books" meant kids books. I suppose that wasn't the intent?

• 11 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived