Relationship Deal breaker?

GingerRose

GingerRose

What are your relationship deal breakers? 

GingerRose

LYING

O what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

If you lie, I say goodbye.

Going with a not very serious one:

Not being involved in geek culture. 

We'd never last, and most people who aren't involved in any way tend to not enjoy the culture and therefore they wouldn't enjoy me cuddling my body pillows, staring at my wall scrolls, or wasting hours of my time on fanfiction and fandom insanity. It matters to me, okay? *cuddles Fraligatr plushie*

17 minutes ago, SithEmpress said:

Going with a not very serious one:

Not being involved in geek culture. 

We'd never last, and most people who aren't involved in any way tend to not enjoy the culture and therefore they wouldn't enjoy me cuddling my body pillows, staring at my wall scrolls, or wasting hours of my time on fanfiction and fandom insanity. It matters to me, okay? *cuddles Fraligatr plushie*

Yeah, sometimes I think the same thing, it won't last for me too long when I'm constantly reading comic books and wondering whether I should actually be installing that mod into my game or hard drive into my PC.

If I had to choose just one, though? That's pretty hard, because there's plenty that would be relationship breakers for me, so there's no "definitely one answer" to this for me. I guess the best way for me to explain it is being selfish is a deal breaker. That would include lying to get what they want as well as being really shallow (I.E. only caring about looks and what they can gain out of the relationship). If all you care about is what you can gain for yourself and will say just about anything to get it, then you can hit the road.

Skycaptain

Smoking 

Being a non-fictional person. xD

Wanting to discuss politics every five minutes. 

Addiction with an unwillingness to seek help. 

6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Smoking 

The same for me.

Cheating. I could see past a few dealbreakers if the relationship was strong. Cheating just isn't one of them. 

If I can be loyal, you have zero reasons not to be.  

This boils down to communication. If you feel alone and don't mention it, how am I supposed to correct my behavior?

So that dealbreaker delves into so many little personality traits I just can't stand by, which includes cowardice. 

Phantasmal Fingers
3 hours ago, CBC said:

Pronunciation of 'scone'.

Long 'o', rhymes with 'cone' - Doomed from the start, sorry. We're really just fundamentally incompatible in a way that can't be overcome.

Short 'o', rhymes with 'gone' - Do me. Now.

Good for you! 

Napkin or serviette? 

Grumpy Alien

I don’t know, honestly. Lots of things but I can’t see myself entering a relationship without knowing them first so I can’t see how I’d have feelings for them to begin with 🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, Arodash said:

The excuses people come up with for cheating is Despicable

There is no remorse for the act, but rather for being caught. I have never knowingly been cheated on, but had a significant other request breaks, when I knew she had gotten close to someone she did art with. I eventually ended the relationship, and within days they were together, which gutted me to a level it took me a while to get over it. I never accused, as for me, I need to catch you red handed before I pull your card.

Karma ensued, and he cheated on her with over 5 women. She came crawling back to me, and out of pity I told her I forgave her and wished her the best, and blocked her.

Anthracite_Impreza
7 hours ago, CBC said:

Long 'o', rhymes with 'cone' - Doomed from the start, sorry. We're really just fundamentally incompatible in a way that can't be overcome.

It would've never worked out between us anyway 😭

Err, being a dick? But cars tend to be less dickish than humans so it's fine.

Anthracite_Impreza
18 minutes ago, CBC said:

It's ok, we'll always have the corgis.

I'd like a shelf of them.

Spoiler

IMG_2268jan14.jpg?preset=large

Phantasmal Fingers
6 hours ago, CBC said:

Ah, well... probably 'napkin'. My gran always said 'serviette' so I'm very familiar with it, but it sounds a bit dated to me.

Did I get it right? 😅

Bang on! :lol: 🍻

isnotajoke

There's probably a bunch in an actual relationship, but I guess I wouldn't know 😇

A dating dealbreaker for me is people who go from 0 to head over heels attached very quickly (like, before meeting in person, talking on the phone, sometimes before exchanging more than a handful of messages). My brain doesn't work that way, and it never seems to go well if pursued. I read enough of the love at first sight stories to figure that it works for some people, just not me.

Real Estate RICO

Awful parenting. That can end an arrangement the fastest in theory, so I'd have to go with that. I have two stories that stick out about this: one, I remember doing yardwork and hearing a woman make a threat like "I'mma get [father's name redacted] to beat your ass when we get home," and I'm like.. you do that, I'm out on the spot. You beat your child, I'm out on the spot. I'm not going to be dragged into this shit, which brings me to my second story. I was at work during the Night Shift from Hell (a night that also included someone leaving a dirty diaper right on the salesfloor), and just at the very beginning, one woman hit her child in the chest, and I actually heard it.

And yet, these people would be like "well, I got beaten and cussed at as a child and I turned out OK:" no you didn't. You really did not. Now your kid is gonna be as fucked up as you are.

Queerphobia. 

J. van Deijck

Infidelity.

My ex constantly said she accepted I was ace but her actions showed otherwise. She would make very passive aggrressive statements about me not having sex and routinely blamed me for her lack of self confidence because I "wouldnt have sex with her"  when does that become prejudice against asexuals?

J. van Deijck
5 hours ago, Arodash said:

My ex constantly said she accepted I was ace but her actions showed otherwise. She would make very passive aggrressive statements about me not having sex and routinely blamed me for her lack of self confidence because I "wouldnt have sex with her"  when does that become prejudice against asexuals?

I had something more or less like this with my first boyfriend. like, he was accepting at all, but then he started moving away, blaming me for everything, saying he's unhappy with me, and in the end I learnt he was cheating on me with more than one person. he was always comparing me to his first partner, or rather mentioning him like "oh I was so happy with him" or "we were such a perfect couple". pff.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:05 PM, CBC said:

This reminds me of when I learned mischievous was pronounced 'mis-chee-vous and not mis-'chee:-vee:-ous

GingerRose
On 5/25/2020 at 2:15 AM, Skycaptain said:

Smoking 

Definitely one of mine too.

GingerRose
On 5/25/2020 at 10:05 AM, CBC said:

Scawn is life.

GlamRocker

Very early signs it's not going to be good:

1) They were rude to someone with no provocation, especially a service worker (like a waiter)

2) They don't like animals

3) They don't like kids (I don't mean they don't want to have them, I mean they actively avoid them out of annoyance and/or disgust)

4) They're a conservative/republican. (Now, if you are a conservative/republican YOURSELF and are ALSO a straight, christian, white, cis male... this one won't be a problem for you.)

GlamRocker

@Arodash Whelp, I wouldn't take my chances with one. You can't decide who to date based on whether others will find your criteria offensive, or else you may find yourself in a bad relationship.

GlamRocker

@Arodash It's funny how people think that having certain opinions about certain political leanings is a prejudice like racism or homophobia... when they aren't at all alike. Being a certain race, or gay, or a woman, or short or WHATEVER is not belief system. However, a political leaning is not only a BELIEF SYSTEM, it is an ACTIVE belief system, that actively effects the world whether for harm or good. To act as if one has to respect everyone's belief system, even if it is harmful, is insane. No, I don't respect belief systems that I believe are harming people. And YES, I think it might be a bad idea to date someone who has a belief system that is against who you are.

GlamRocker
2 hours ago, Arodash said:

You also pointed out cis men, christians, white people as being associated with Republicans or that they'd be okay with those view points.

No, I implied that those people are the only people who are SAFE with republicans/conservatives... whether or not they are even republicans/conservatives themselves. I said, to put it another way, that if you expect to have a good relationship with a republican/conservative, you have to not only be a republican/conservative yourself, but also a white, straight, christian cis male... because everyone else is going to catch trouble from said republican/conservative.

Archived