What stupid things did you believe as a child?

JustSomeAce

JustSomeAce
4 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

A lot of kids probably believed girls and women urinate through their vaginas. I wasn't even sure how we guys are supposed to have sex without peeing... until a high school biology teacher explained there's a tiny sphincter muscle at some point along the male urethra that prevents unwanted golden showers.

As a kid I used to think that the man would actually pee inside the woman while having sex. And that really grossed me out until I learned that it wasn't like that 😅

That anyone who has the Twins zodiac sign must be twins (literally).

It took me years to figure out that the zodiac sign Twins has nothing to do with the phenomenon of having twin brother/sister.

JustSomeAce
53 minutes ago, Arodash said:

And what you learned grossed you out even more XD

Yeah, and that's why I'm here XD

I mixed up Napoli (Naples) and Nepal m(

JustSomeAce
34 minutes ago, Arodash said:

No way! Same! Lol

Omg! It's almost like we're twins or something! XD

This talk of twins reminded me, I thought me and my cousin were twins because we looked alike, eventhough she's three years younger than me and we obviously don't have the same parents.

N8ty L3asT

Accidentally gave my teacher the middle finger and once I walked into a tether ball poll and gave myself a black eye.

note: I still end doing stupid and embarrassing things to this day so it’s hard to keep track.😄

I live in nz which is two islands so I used to think every single country in the world was an island on its own. I dunno how old i was when i realised countries can touch each other and there are landlocked countries. It would have been an embarrassingly late age

I also believed that I would one day have a boyfriend! Ha that ones funny 😂

JustSomeAce
12 minutes ago, CBC said:

That when a man and a woman got married, God just decided randomly one day to put a baby in the woman's tummy and that's how babies came about. (I don't believe in God now, but as a kid I just assumed there was such a thing.) I remember being about four and being scared that God would make a mistake and 'give' me a baby when I was still too young and not married and wasn't ready for such a thing.

That's kinda cute though XD

Lord Jade Cross
4 hours ago, CBC said:

That when a man and a woman got married, God just decided randomly one day to put a baby in the woman's tummy and that's how babies came about. (I don't believe in God now, but as a kid I just assumed there was such a thing.) I remember being about four and being scared that God would make a mistake and 'give' me a baby when I was still too young and not married and wasn't ready for such a thing.

Thank goodness it doesn't work that way, because I'm 35 now and still have no inclination to pop out any kiddos...

Well, I mean if you believe Mary's story as conveniently depicted in the Bible about the holy Spirit magically impregnated her, then...

When I see a political map as a kid, I thought that all countries with the same color were all one country spread out over the world

I thought if you dug a deep enough hole you could see hell and devils and if you looked out the window while on a plane you could see heaven and angels.

12 hours ago, CBC said:

Oh also. I believed there were bats that lived in the toilet, and if you sat there too long, they'd start biting you on the arse. That thought didn't occur to me every time I used the loo, so sometimes I was fine, but if I remembered whilst sitting there, I'd start getting afraid and I'd get off the toilet ASAP.

My dad managed to convince me that moray eels lived in the city sewers.

that I was gonna have friends

Skycaptain
9 hours ago, CajunAce said:

When I see a political map as a kid, I thought that all countries with the same color were all one country spread out over the world

It was - Britain before WWI 😋😋

JustSomeAce
7 hours ago, Karst said:

My dad managed to convince me that moray eels lived in the city sewers.

Back when I was in elementary school I used to think there where crocodiles living in the sewers (though I think there are countries where that's actually the case, but Germany's definitely none of them) 😅

Lord Jade Cross
4 hours ago, JustSomeAce said:

Back when I was in elementary school I used to think there where crocodiles living in the sewers (though I think there are countries where that's actually the case, but Germany's definitely none of them) 😅

JustSomeAce
1 hour ago, Jade Cross said:

It's my nightmare coming true...  😵

Gifted With Singleness

I used to think that, when it was time for a woman to give birth, the baby would just magically teleport to the nearest hospital, and the parents would have to go to the hospital to pick it up.

I used to think that, if you wanted to call someone on the phone, you had to enter your own phone number like it was a password, and the phone would just magically know who you wanted to call.

I used to think that chewing tobacco tasted like beef jerky. (Looking back, I think this came from watching The Sandlot. There was a scene where the kids tried chewing tobacco, and I must have mistaken the movie prop for the real thing.)

I used to think that the Earth was flat, with the Northern Hemisphere on the top and the Southern Hemisphere on the bottom (like two sides of a coin). Therefore, in order to get to the other hemisphere, you have to take a rocket.

GingerRose

That my beta fish really did just go to the vet...Goodbye Goldy.

that babies come from The Baby Store.

• 1 month later...
NerdAlert93

I sincerely drew the conclusion that concubine were just pretty ladies who made people happy after watching Mulan.  Maintained this until I started reading fanfics.  Literally, everything I know about sex that didn't come from reading ahead in my biology book (I was a smart kid in a school that was redundant) came from reading fanfics.   

A while back, I created a blog post dedicated to these errors. Most of the examples are my own misconceptions.
But anyway, let me try to think of some additional examples...

When I was really little, I seemed to have the impression that when humans or animals gave birth, the babies came out of a slit that opened up in their abdomen, or something like that.

There was a game I used to play on Neopets, where there were a few cards with different symbols on them. You would select a card, and your neopet would guess which one you picked. One evening when we were out somewhere, I decided to play a similar game, asking my parents to think of a symbol, and I would guess which one they were thinking of. I kept getting it right, and it was awesome. My parents even mentioned this to some of my dad's friends who we met up with at one point, and I guessed the symbol right with them, too. I thought my psychic powers were really great that night.

Years later, it occurs to me that they might have just claimed I guessed right, to entertain me.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:47 PM, Woodworker1968 said:

A lot of kids probably believed girls and women urinate through their vaginas.

I, uh, only learned of this recently, on another forum thread here. I thought there was just one opening. Which shows how much attention I pay to that region.

Mackenzie Holiday

I use to believe that every god humans have ever written about was real and a part of the same pantheon. Zeus, Thor, Jesus, Shiva, and any other god I heard of was totes real. When I was later taught that I was only supposed to believe in the god of the bible and not all those other ones, and that believing in other gods is apparently a really sinful thing to do, I was a bit worried that I was going to go to hell.

I also believed that anyone could move things with their mind, it was just really hard to figure out how to do. I would concentrate really hard on moving things with my mind, but they would never move, but I also realized that if I concentrated real hard on moving a part of my body, it wouldn't move. I had to just... move it, and I believed that I could do the same thing with objects that weren't attached to me, I only had to figure out how to just... move it.

I also believed in werewolves. I mean, I didn't believe in believe in werewolves. If you asked me if they were real, I'd say no. But anytime I'd go into the backyard at night, yep, werewolves were definitely real and probably watching and waiting for me to wander far enough away from the house that they could catch me before I'd be able to make it back inside.

Velvet Crowe

I used to believe that TV presenters could see me but not hear me squawking away as a kid. It looked like they maintained eye contact, after all!

I believed all of my grandfather's stories, even the ridiculous ones.

"You can become anything you want when you grow up" was very commonly said here. I didn't question why there weren't any intergalactic cyborg ghost ninja dinosaurs fighting crime, but I took it at face value.

Gifted With Singleness
14 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Aa far as you know, see, they are ninjas, so you wouldnt see them

They're also ghosts, which doubles the invisibility.

Gifted With Singleness
4 minutes ago, Arodash said:

And intergalactic so we have no idea what cloaking tech they have

Are they also asexual?

Velvet Crowe

Hahaha, all of the above are fair points.

Maybe they are out there after all.

😏

Archived