What stupid things did you believe as a child?

JustSomeAce

JustSomeAce
7 hours ago, Velvet Crowe said:

Hahaha, all of the above are fair points.

Maybe they are out there after all.

😏

I certainly want to believe that they're out there, wouldn't that be cool? :D

NerdAlert93

I sincerely drew the conclusion that concubine were just pretty ladies who made people happy after watching Mulan.  Maintained this until I started reading fanfics.  Literally, everything I know about sex that didn't come from reading ahead in my biology book (I was a smart kid in a school that was redundant) came from reading fanfics.   

22 hours ago, Arodash said:

Gotta ask, where did this belief come from?

Dad used to build cabinets. One day, I'm in his shop watching him, and he's using the table saw. He told me to stand back. I was not in school yet, so I'm not sure how old I was. But, my brain was like okay I'm standing plenty back but I was not off to the side. He was cutting off a thin piece from a much larger piece. That thin piece flew straight off the table saw and directly back with a lot of force directly and hit me in the face. He grabbed his first aid box, and pulled out a dollar (after making sure I was fine).

I did learn to stand back and away when he was cutting boards though.

• 2 weeks later...

I believed in Santa Clause and Tooth Fairy.

I think it's not really a stupid thing to believe in though... I have deep belief in science, and I actually really struggled with it.

I was heart broken when I knew they were actually my parents. I have a weird and awkward personality, especially when interacting with my parents, and I just didn't want to believe that they would do such thing (giving me presents or exchanging tooth into money) for me. 

fooledbysecrecy

i was the most gullible child and hooo boy did the others take advantage of it!!

one of the stupidest things that comes to mind is that when our little town got its first ever ice cream van and it was really exciting, some kids in my class told me they put drugs in the ice cream to kill children. i absolutely believed it and was scared shitless and didn't even question this information. 

andreas1033

The most idiotic thing i believed as a child, was that there could be a perfect world.

I fell for the propaganda, in the film rocky 4, as i was 10 when it came out, and i had no exposure to anything to do with cold war. Never heard about it, my only exposure to anything cold war was from rocky 4 film. Showing how powerful propaganda can be, if like me back then, you had no opposing ideas on what was happening, as as a 10 year old kid, living in london, i never heard about cold war, or nuclear weapons, at all.

Rocky 4 was probably the most important film ever made, in terms of its effects on society, of when it came out, and its overall impact. I always believe that it was the catalyst to start the end of the cold war. Showing how powerful propaganda is, especially on young people, who have no way to counter its ideas, or question, what they are taking in.

I woke up in 1992, by becoming a target for uk and usa gov. But the cold war had ended by then.

Believing you are free, in supposed west in cold war, as a kid, was the most idiotic thing i have ever believed in my life. I found out at 16 in 1992, i had no freedoms, and never will till the day i die.

So for me, believing the idea that people in west were free, as a kid, was the most idiotic thing i believed in my life. As a kid at 10 years old back in 1985, seeing rocky 4, i believed the ideas it put out, and did not question it.

The idea of the perfect world, as i have learned since, is a pure and utter fantasy. I am glad i found out at 16 in 1992, that those ideas were totally false, as i became a target for something from uk/usa gov.

At least i never lived my adult life believing in this falsehood, and at least i question propaganda, and i know the power of it, especially for people when young, who have no other information, that what they see or hear is open to question.

Thats the most idiotic thing i believed as a kid. ie That people living in west were free. Well at least i woke upto the real world, and our lack of freedom in 1992, at school. But it was too late then, and i have lived with the consequences ever since.

Remember, the idea of a perfect world, is only a fantasy.

• 1 month later...

I believed I had to repeat Kindergarten because my sister is a complete & utter PRICK that made me think I wasn't smart enough to go to the first grade. Mind you, I had a ceremony with my class & my brother also graduated alongside me...I used to be so upset over this & my brother got mad at her for telling me this.

I remember crying a few times because of this & looking back, I was confused as to why I was still in the same grade as my brother when I apparently "got left back in Kindergarten & had to repeat the entire year" since I supposedly failed. I felt like such a fool, a total failure that believed her because she knew how to come up with the right excuses to make me think they either lied so I didn't feel bad or lied so I would think I didn't have to pass Kindergarten yet could still go to the grades after that.

Younger me, I'm so sorry. T_T

I fervently believed my uncle when he told me that if I ate the crusts of my sandwiches, my hair would become curly.

To be fair, while my hair did not become curly, I am not sure how good my adherence to that one was.  I liked the idea of curly hair, but I disliked crusts even more...

I believed other things that I think were kind of common lies to tell kids (gum staying in your intestines for 7 years, etc.), but I'm pretty sure my uncle just made that shit up randomly to be funny and never gave one second thought about it.  It shaped my thoughts on PB&J crusts for years.

My mother showed me the first Blues Brothers movie when I was fairly young. The scene towards the end with the military personnel chasing them? With the guys who constantly said "hup, hup, hup" when they took a step? Yeah, I believed for YEARS that the American military always said "hup, hup, hup" when they took a step.

I thought England was another state of Australia.

That if I dug down far enough, I could actually go to China. Also, that if I dug down far enough, I would reach the centre of the Earth. No idea how I thought I was getting through the centre of the Earth to get to China!

That if I jumped high enough while holding my breath, I would start to float.

I used to believe that when you paid money into your bank account (when I was a child we took our savings to the bank once a year on Weltspartag), it was then stored in a locker assigned to you and whenever you withdrew money from your account they literally took it out of the locker. One time my mum withdrew money in a different city and immediately got the cash, which surprised me because according to my logic they would have taken it out of her locker at the bank in our hometown and then transported it 500 kilometres via some underground system within seconds.

local burnout.

My parents never let me have anything caffeinated when I was a child and said it was because it would stunt my growth, so I used to think that people with dwarfism were short because their parents let them drink coffee when they were kids.

Don't know if this is true or not 

My parents always said that if you read under the bedclothes then you'd strain your eyes and need glasses (They knew that as a kidlet I'd be sent to bed at say 2000, and still be awake after midnight), I never read in bed, and I'm the only one in my extended family doesn't wear glasses 

My sister and I had multiple heated debates about which one of us my dad gave birth to and which my mom gave birth to.

A baby's gender was determined based on the amount of hair it had when born (I asked my dad how he knew I was a girl. That was not a helpful response).

Christopher Columbus was great and other myths spread via education.

There was a vampire in my closet and if my bed covers didn't go over my neck then it would kill me (in a dead-dead way, not undead). I still can't sleep without my covers like that no matter how hot it is.

Archived