Romantic attraction = good chemistry?

Is it possible to have romantic feelings for people but when you interact with them you don’t have any chemistry and you have a hard time connecting with them? Yet you still can still experience romantic attraction towards them?

Just a Quail

I assume that is possible? People emphasize it being important to "have chemistry" in relationships, and most experience romantic attraction. By that that logic, shouldn't that mean that it's normal to not have chemistry with someone you have feelings for? I personally wouldn't know 🤷‍♀️

Grey-Ace Ventura

Seems totally possible. That's the point of dating, isn't it? To see if you do have chemistry to go along with the romantic feelings?

I'm just looking at my past crushes and I never had any chemistry with them. Idk if it's just me as a really awkward person who has trouble connecting with others or if I never actually had feelings for them in the first place. I just assume you develop those romantic feelings because you have chemistry. Like the two of them go together if that makes sense.

Just a Quail
13 hours ago, LibraGirl said:

I just assume you develop those romantic feelings because you have chemistry.

Maybe? It's also possible to have a crush on someone without really knowing or interacting with them. So chemistry doesn't necessarily impact whether you have feelings or not. I think you can consider it to be more correlation than causation.

I'm not sure what 'chemistry' means exactly in this context. I mean, I know how the phrase is generally used, but what does it really mean to 'have chemistry'?

Meaning you are comfortable around each other, can have fun together, and there is no sense of awkwardness or uncertainty. Sharing an emotional connection with someone else.

Seems possible, though wouldn't last long for me without chemistry. I generally view losing romantic attraction for someone as the chemistry being gone. Since that's how it's described a lot in media: "The spark was gone." "We just don't have any chemistry anymore."

Archived