Cell Phones~ Age You Got One

GingerRose

call  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you got your first cell/mobile phone?

• 5-9
    • 10-14
    • 15-18
    • 20-23
    • 24-30
    • 31+
    • I have never had a cell/mobile phone...

This poll is closed to new votes

Around the age of 12. It's weird to think that I've lived in an era without smartphones by now. Man I still remember the times where the Blackberries were the phones of the cool kids, shortly before the smartphone conquered the world.

16, I think, for my birthday  from my friends because said friends were annoyed that they couldn't send me text messages and everyone had them now. It must have been in 2002, and it looked like what SpaceDustbin posted.

I think I was in my late teens when I first got a phone, it was an old fashioned one which could only call and barely text. Then I got myself an iphone, but not until my mid twenties. 😅 I don't use apps or anything, I mainly like it for it's camera.

When I got to 5th grade and was in a school in the closest city to my hometown my parents bought me a phone in case something happened, so that I could call them, but I always forgot it and never used it. I only started to use phones often, when I got to high school and wasn't in the same class as my best friends to text them and combine a place to meet during class breaks.

So the answer is around 10 years old. 

honingvogel

When I was 25, which makes me sound really old 😁 They were around for a while before that, but I never saw the point of owning one before. Imagine life without a cell phone and internet ... Basically the stone age 🤣

Anomaly Q3Xr

Around age 11/12 in 1993.

Got my first smart phone in 2018, but rarely use a phone.

I was 12. It was a Nokia 3310. And I remember having a strawberry case that smelled something like strawberry. It was sweet. The scent died over time.

My sister had a lemon case. 

Or maybe it was the other way around. But we both had the same phone with those cute scented cases.

Mackenzie Holiday

My parents got me my first cell phone when I was 16 so that I could text my long-distance girlfriend and stop hogging the computer all day to talk to her.

At the age of 14 for basic things like an emergency and such. Ive never really been "popular" so I didnt need one as much as the people who had tons of friends to stay in touch with.

Mid 30's.

Only got one cause I had to.

Only started liking them in the past year. 

My first was a flip phone. It was advanced enough to have a couple of games and a calendar. I think it was the beginning of my senior year in high school. So, I was around 17. My parents wanted to keep me safer by being able to call them whenever I needed a ride or something. I hardly ever used it. Didn’t get a smart phone (iPhone) until I was 29 or 30. I’m 35 now. Still feel new to them. 

I'm pretty sure it was when I was in 4th grade, so I would have been 9. I'm on the younger side, so that would have been in 2009.

When I got my first phone I was either 9 or 10, I don't remember which. My first phone was a flip phone. My second phone was a smart phone and I got it when I was 12.

Cosmic Latte

Got my first cell phone when I was 13.
Didn't get a smartphone until right after I graduated high school.

• 10 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived