Face masks

Balance

36 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

I'm surprised that those stores aren't restricting the number of customers inside

Guarantee if someone files a complaint at the municipality for non compliance, that it would get fixed. They also are poorly laid out for this. Very narrow and long counter for orders, with an insanely narrow order and pick up area. Impossible to pay and pick up, without walking past and having to squeeze through people.

Having too high a crowd in such types of stores is just making them a mass infection waiting to happen.

Most staff there have heavy Taiwanese accents, so being thorough on distancing, I just don't see it.

3 hours ago, CallaWolf said:

The external face is "we care," when you have to add "about our bottom line" to the end of the sentence in actuality.

Heh, its like McDonald's here. Bombarding TV with "we care" ads. I.E "we've installed plexiglass at drive through windows, encourage debit (vs full out ban cash)", and still get staff performing carry outs to your car -- but with masks. "We care!"

"Now, you buy!" (is the voice you do in your head as you watch these)

2 hours ago, Arodash said:

Any company putting out those "we care" ads are just pure cringe incarnate

Yeah anyone who desperately seeks credit for "caring", likely aren't doing it for the right reasons. 

I love seeing spoofs of such commercials. 

Reminds me of a company I worked for. Worst job ever. 

However, they gave "happiness" quizzes to staff, you had to fill in your own handwriting and name and date things. Room for improvement, could be "discussed" (IE you get black listed and fired, probably). Those who openly complained about conditions didn't get raises for years. 

Needless to say. They would boast of their over 80% happiness index as staff would try to hold back from laughing during the "we care about you" speeches we would get at annual town hall meetings with the CEO. 

"Now, get back to work! Any of you bastards call in sick from Covid are as good as fired!" would likely be the wording if they were allowed to continue and if I still worked for them. 

I worked for an employer like this during H1N1. 

That sinking feeling of seeing your pale co-worker sitting next to you looking like they are about to pass out, knowing they have no job if calling in sick knowing you are going to get sick next. 

I have had bosses ask if I smoked. Very illegal here, but won't stop them from trying. 

Smarter would be mentioning breaks and mentioning they can be broken up if a smoker "are you a smoker" as a means of weeding them out. 

I have worked with a few that hated smokers with a passion. 

Skycaptain

Just ban mask wearing unless a healthcare or blue light response person totally, infringement punished by death with no trial. 

Sounds harsh, but I'm in danger of losing my home and livelihood and totally abandoned by the government, so I'm lashing out

With all the smoker hate that has developed in the "new" millennium, I actually find it rather refreshing to see someone having a casual puff even though I have never smoked. Call me old-fashioned I guess.

Just wait until the government declares face masks a carcinogen; they'll disappear mighty fast after that.

24 minutes ago, Jon A. said:

Just wait until the government declares face masks a carcinogen; they'll disappear mighty fast after that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the government did that to keep people from wearing masks after all this was over. Can’t have those things get in the way of facial recognition surveillance technology.

@Gloomy Well, that was just a joke really; I was making fun of the government's habit of restricting/banning things all the time, saying they cause terminal illnesses and/or are bad for the environment. Give them enough time and they'll find a reason to dump on tap water.

I don't like the idea of facial recognition surveillance technology either; like so many other technologies it's just too easy to abuse. I get what Sky is saying though; masked people are often perceived as threats, and the assumption is often accurate under normal circumstances. That's basically the main thing stopping me from making fun of all this panic by obtaining and wearing in public an 1878 Siebe-Gorman firemen's rescue mask like a character that made a very brief appearance in The Road Warrior (1981).

Skycaptain

I was reading in the news today, that they're looking to develop transparent masks 

LobsterCat

I wear a Buff when out walking and very think bandanna mask at the store.  I do get claustrophobic and panic when grocery shopping, but I wear it.   We're actually getting some spiffy United by Blue ones in the mail today (hopefully.)

I work(ed) retail until furloughed.  I am terrified to go back to the store because we won't enforce masks for customers.  My boyfriend is asthmatic, so I have to be extra cautious. 

Of course, I might not go back.  We partially opened and I didn't hear about it until a social media post.  But that's a whole different story! 

MoonDancer
2 hours ago, LobsterCat said:

I wear a Buff when out walking and very think bandanna mask at the store.  I do get claustrophobic and panic when grocery shopping, but I wear it.  

I work in a non patient care role in a hospital, and we wear clear face shields instead of masks. I wish that the people who have problems wearing masks wore face shields instead. Granted, you have to have the bottom of the shield below your mouth. A lot of people wear the shield on top of their head like a visor which is totally useless.

I needed to go and get groceries today, so I wore a mask while I was there. Most, but not all, other people did, too. I have to admit as a glasses wearer I don't enjoy wearing a mask. Glasses get fogged up. I also tend to get overheated easily. So by the time I was done and back in my car I was ready to remove the mask! I'm trying to find masks that work better and that are available for me to buy. But I still plan to keep wearing the masks I have on the few occasions I got out these days. I'm in a higher risk age demographic, I can't afford to get sick, but I can afford to keep myself isolated most of the time and to take precautions when I can't stay isolated. If I find some places I go to are not taking precautions I can choose to avoid them, as I have that luxury, too. Those are my choices.

12 hours ago, MoonDancer said:

A lot of people wear the shield on top of their head like a visor which is totally useless.

Maybe they think that when people cough, breath, or sneeze, the hot air from their lungs will carry the virus upwards and then it will gently float down onto them, and without the visor/shield they'll get sick  too.

Of course, I'm being facetious. Some people like doing useless things for no apparent reason and act as if they have no idea why it's useless.

Unleash the Echidnas
3 hours ago, daveb said:

I'm trying to find masks that work better and that are available for me to buy.

I sewed cheekbone width wire to my non-medicals and bent it over the nose. Fogging problem solved for a few cents and a few minutes' work. Depending on the stitching used it can be more comfortable to skip a bit across the nose, though if the skip is too large the mask will shift under the wire.

J. van Deijck
On 5/23/2020 at 2:52 AM, SithEmpress said:

Wait, they only now started requiring them?! 

That has surprised me as well. I live in Europe and face masks have been something normal here since at least three months; in open areas not mandatory, but highly recommended. In close spaces, required.

I live in Florida and people are mostly not wearing them.... some do, but a whole lot do not. My "lovely" cousin kept being annoyed cause I insisted on wearing a mask around my ill grandmother to visit. She also insisted on hugging me cause "You're wearing a mask, so it doesn't matter" - sigh.

I did find out the mask I have is very impossible to breathe in when it gets wet though. Omg. And with the rains we have... it got soaked just going from car to house and I had to remove it, could not get any air. Not wet it is light weight and can wear it for hours without issue, but... yikes ! Was suffocating in that thing after a heavy rain. 

On 5/26/2020 at 9:02 PM, daveb said:

I needed to go and get groceries today, so I wore a mask while I was there. Most, but not all, other people did, too. I have to admit as a glasses wearer I don't enjoy wearing a mask. Glasses get fogged up. I also tend to get overheated easily. So by the time I was done and back in my car I was ready to remove the mask! I'm trying to find masks that work better and that are available for me to buy. But I still plan to keep wearing the masks I have on the few occasions I got out these days. I'm in a higher risk age demographic, I can't afford to get sick, but I can afford to keep myself isolated most of the time and to take precautions when I can't stay isolated. If I find some places I go to are not taking precautions I can choose to avoid them, as I have that luxury, too. Those are my choices.

Apparently, if you clean your glasses with dawn it prevents the fogging up for a few hours. Also, if you put the edge of the mask closer to your glasses, it helps. 

53 minutes ago, Serran said:

Also, if you put the edge of the mask closer to your glasses, it helps. 

I had already tried that, but it didn't help. I have heard soap on mirrors can help prevent or cut back on fogging up. I can try dish soap next time I have to wear the mask to see if that helps. Yeah, I could getting it wet in a humid place like Florida especially wouldn't be great. Just the steaminess of my own breath makes it stuffier.

6 hours ago, Arodash said:

In a little bit I can send you the recipe for antifogging stuff for glasses. Our lab at work made some and I will get the recipe from them I believe it can made from easily sourced stuff

Thanks!

Is it safe for plastic lenses, or for the coatings that might be on them?

A personal problem, I know, but I feel like a dork when I wear my mask. 🤣 However, I am totally in favor of wearing masks in public spaces such as stores, shopping centers, and other such public venues. My dad is in his 80s and doesn't need me bringing home this virus. He grumbles and complains, but wears a mask too, for the same reasons - most of his friends are in the high risk zones either age wise or due to health.

New Mexico is relatively unscathed, with the exception of the highly vulnerable Pueblos and Navajo Nation. Of all our residents in the state, they are the hardest hit and getting the least amount of help. Otherwise, we have a low population density for the most part and even Albuquerque, the biggest city in the state, hasn't been hard hit. The Governor has been a champion of safe, common sense practices from the get-go, and encourages the use of face masks in public. The state itself is opening back up to regular business with some restrictions on June 1. We'll see how that goes.

2 hours ago, Arodash said:

Vinegar and water

Is that the recipe to keep glasses from fogging up?

Like 50/50?

Dunk or spray or wash?

Or maybe the proportions and methods of application don't matter much?

4 minutes ago, Arodash said:

I believe it's 70% water 30% vinegar and it's basically just liquid that you would dab a cloth on and you would wipe it on your glasses but I will have to double-check the mixture because it was a very quick question that they answered with just water and vinegar. 

Also isopropanol is a really good anti fog I use it on my safety glasses here at work cuz I have a little stockpile of little wipes that are made for anti fogging and isopropanol is safe to use on Plastics if it's in such low quantities

Thanks for the tips! I have most of those things. I can try them out next time I need to go somewhere, without needing to purchase anything new before doing so.

@Arodash & @daveb: an alternate mixture which works for plastic and glass is to mix water, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (70%-91%), and a tablespoon of dish soap together in a gallon jug. Replaces Windex and other such glass cleaners and works great (cheaper too).

I don't think I need a whole gallon! :lol: But thanks for the tip!

I played around a bit with some distilled vinegar and water, and separately, with some glass cleaner that has vinegar as one of the main ingredients, and tried walking around my house with a mask on. I think it helped somewhat. I also tried pressing the top edge of the mask down around my nose to try to eliminate little gaps, as some people talked about that. That actually seemed to work best for me (at least in brief experiments). Of course, I don't want to have to walk around holding it with my hand! :P so I think I will try to see if I can sew some wire into the top edge, as has been suggested, and see how that works. I have 3 masks to work with, so not too concerned if I mess one up.

2 hours ago, daveb said:

I don't think I need a whole gallon! :lol: But thanks for the tip!

This stuff is great for windows, glass cases, etc., or if you just want to wipe a surface down (though not wood). All you need is a spray bottle and a cleaning cloth.

I finally went to the grocery store about a week ago and most people were wearing masks at the store i don't usually go to, just testing out where I should shop. I still say keep your distance and you should be fine, and those wearing masks seem to be doing it due to peer pressure, acting like they care, but keeping a safe distance seems to do more for this. And yeah, people will remove their mask while talking to you, so why bother?

I actually requested a mask from the governor's office, if they want me to wear a mask in public then they should provide one. I haven't seen it though. At the moment I'm staying home anyway and I'm trying grocery delivery again.  In the comments, it sounds like it's mainly in the south that they don't wear masks, I'll remember this when I move. Thanks for your comments!

Archived