Face masks

Balance

They just started requiring face masks in my state (NM), now that they're reopening stores, restaurants, etc. I'm just curious, are there any cities/towns/regions in the United States that don't require face masks for customers / non-employees?

Yeah. I was actually really uncomfortable at one of my jobs when there was a lot more guests there than I thought (about 100 people). Not a single person wore a mask and none of them were social distancing. Myself and my coworkers were required to wear a face mask, but still. 

Grey-Ace Ventura

I mean... we're required but it's Florida. Our numbers have soared because a ton of people don't follow the rules.

Wait, they only now started requiring them?! 

I'm not in the States atm, but my family back home said as soon as the hard quarantine was lightened somewhat, people stopped wearing masks and stopped social distancing as much. So I guess public places aren't requiring customers wear them, but I bet employees are still required to. Not sure if there's something keeping the stores and stuff being loose with customers? Maybe fear of being sued? 

2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

The CDC until recently kept telling us not to wear masks.

Even at the time, I thought it was very weird they were saying that. Sure a mask isn't full-proof, but it is an added layer of protection. My thought process was that, if front liners are wearing masks, it has to be for a reason. I understand limited supply and they need it more than anybody, but there are alternatives and wouldn't it be better safe than sorry to wear it?

3 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Its a good sentiment but is basically a redundency for the most affective practice, social distancing, when people wear masks though iy gives them false sense of security. Since people started wearing masks more and more people think its okay to get in my bubble

There could also be carriers since some people are asymptomatic, but not tested. And I wish more people knew the importance of social distancing. One of my friends was really upset about going outside without a mask by mistake. I asked if they were social distancing and they said yes, and I responded that they should be fine. It's literally fresh air. But their family was still upset at them for going outside without a mask, even if they were social distancing. 😕

RoseGoesToYale
8 minutes ago, SkyWorld said:

Even at the time, I thought it was very weird they were saying that. Sure a mask isn't full-proof, but it is an added layer of protection. My thought process was that, if front liners are wearing masks, it has to be for a reason. I understand limited supply and they need it more than anybody, but there are alternatives and wouldn't it be better safe than sorry to wear it?

I think one of the reasonings early on was people putting masks on and feeling a false sense security... like "Oh, I've got this mask now, I'll be fine!" and neglect other behaviors like proper hand washing and social distancing. Also people wearing them incorrectly, which you think would be pretty intuitive, but apparently not. I can't believe how many store employees I've seen with masks the last month but were wearing them over their mouth only, or pulling them down to talk to customers. Once in a Target, I walked down the aisle and saw a trolley with cans to be shelved. An employee came to stock them and removed his mask right before he started!

28 minutes ago, Grey-Ace Ventura said:

I mean... we're required but it's Florida. Our numbers have soared because a ton of people don't follow the rules.

Wait, they're required here? I'm in Tampa, and I've seen a great many employees at stores without masks. I figured we'd be the last state to require them, since all one single citizen has to do is go outside with a gun and a wooden sign that says "masks kill our liberties!" and the government would rescind it.

Alejandrogynous

They were going to be required in Ohio but then some people complained so now they're just "heavily suggested." Thankfully my workplace seems committed so far to requiring all customers wear them in the store because the health of employees should not be up to the whims of strangers.

MakeupJunkie4

I don't mind wearing one for the good of all because I know it's not permanent. In my area they're still required, but neighboring counties recently made it optional, not mandatory. Wearing masks is not a law, but a temporary order. IDK why so many people are assuming it's going to be a "law" on the books for the entire country, for the remainder of history. It's an urgent situation requiring certain rules that (naturally) will be non-applicable when things improve.

RoseGoesToYale
14 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Forcing people to wear them technically does. 

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

The Supreme Court has affirmed on multipile occasions that clothing and the choice to wear certain articles of clothing is protected speech, not only that, many cities actually have laws forbidding the wearing of masks in public spaces because of KKK members in the early 1900s.

But in this case, it's unclear whether these masks are articles of clothing or life-preserving medical equipment. A court argument could go either way. The guy being forced to wear a mask could say it violates free speech. A sick person could argue not wearing them violates the right to life. The legal interpretation jousting could go on forever.

As for cities banning masks, wouldn't that violate certain individuals first amendment rights to practice their religion, e.g. a muslim woman wearing a niqab?

Grey-Ace Ventura
44 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Wait, they're required here? I'm in Tampa, and I've seen a great many employees at stores without masks. I figured we'd be the last state to require them, since all one single citizen has to do is go outside with a gun and a wooden sign that says "masks kill our liberties!" and the government would rescind it.

Sorry, I was told they're required but they're actually recommended.

4 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Theres a shortage of N95s because we have hogged them in the medical field, but cloth masks can easily be made

Ah cloth masks, hmm, they could help..

Just stay off the masks that medical staff are really in need off... 😕 We need them protected, so that when your butt gets sick, they can take care of you too.

I live in a really low-population area, so this does seem more like theatre to me than necessary here. If I were in a major city like NYC, LA, Boston, etc, it might make more sense. I keep my distance from people as much as possible all the time, and it's one of the perks of this IMO. But I think the masks give people a false sense of security, and I'm sure it's political for govs to say wear a mask, so they're "taking care of" the people or something.

I've checked resources like NPR about the state requirements and they all seem to be saying the same thing. Some places so-called require masks, some they're suggested, some (IA and MT) are none, but if you dig deeper it just seems like different phrasing. But those are entire states, I have no idea if certain cities/regions don't do these rules. I get it that they might not require it by law, but the stores might be enforcing this so it's the same thing. I'd just love to find a place thats not doing these rules. I get it that it's supposedly not forever, and I'd have to wait until this is kind of over to move anyway, but if they're doing this here I'd rather find a city/town that doesn't.

Whoa.  Huh.  Interesting.  I had no idea that not wearing a mask was so common elsewhere.

In NYC, everyone is wearing a mask, unless you're clearly exercising (in which case I don't either, because ...  realistically, it's basically impossible to breathe).  You can't enter stores without a mask on; stores will post signs saying you will be denied entry.  It's the same deal in Connecticut, which I have bounced back and forth between over the past few months.

I am pretty sure you would get death stares if you wandered around without a mask on.  Honestly, it's really hard to tell how many people are wearing a mask because they actually believe it will protect them vs. wearing a mask so they don't look like a complete social pariah.

Skycaptain
3 hours ago, Arodash said:

Theres a shortage of N95s because we have hogged them in the medical field, but cloth masks can easily be made

That's being unfair to yourselves. Those in the medical sector, and other emergency services should have absolute priority for masks, followed by other keyworkers, and only when there are sufficient supplies for these people should N95 masks be distributed to the general public. If people want to make their own, fine. Also they should not be compulsory anywhere. 

I'm not in the USA, but as a cab driver, I wish we could say "All facemasks must be removed before getting into this car", because we don't want to be relieved of our takings by some masked individual pulling a knife on us. Until C-19 "facemask = criminal" was an assumption with near total accuracy, and its going to take more than a virus to change that. 

Also what about people with neuridiverse responses. They (including me)  find face coverings incredibly uncomfortable, distracting and choking. 

21 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

I'm not in the USA, but as a cab driver, I wish we could say "All facemasks must be removed before getting into this car", because we don't want to be relieved of our takings by some masked individual pulling a knife on us. Until C-19 "facemask = criminal" was an assumption with near total accuracy, and its going to take more than a virus to change that. 

Also what about people with neuridiverse responses. They (including me)  find face coverings incredibly uncomfortable, distracting and choking. 

That reminds me...

They're supposed to be required here. I say "supposed to" because the number of times I've walked into the supermarket with tons of people not wearing masks makes me sick. I have sensory issues, so for a while, I couldn't wear one, but I worked at it and now I always wear one whenever I'm going to the store and when I'm at work.

There's this whole debate about whether or not masks actually protect you going around on FB right now, but what people don't understand is that the masks aren't supposed to protect you; they're supposed to protect other people.

I've seen a few people not wearing a mask, but I don't judge them since I don't know them or the reason they're not wearing one. Tbh it takes a lot for me to morally judge someone. During my teenage years I was acquainted with quite a few petty criminals and just the other day when I saw a Reddit post saying "Why do people idolize Kodak Black? He went to prison for lying on a background check form to purchase a firearm" and I was just thinking "What's wrong with that?".

1 hour ago, Arodash said:

Everyone makes mistakes is the way I see it anyone who claims they dont is lieing

... Trump ... :P 

Personally, I wouldn't get in an enclosed space like a cab without wearing a mask. Not that I have any reason to get in a cab these days.

I don't want anyone telling me I can't wear a mask during this medical situation. I will wear one any time I need to go out anywhere where I think a mask is warranted. That is my choice, because I believe it is the right choice. I do think other people should wear them, too, especially in public spaces where we can't avoid possible exposure. If they don't that is their choice, but then they shouldn't be surprised if I try to avoid them.

I'm scared to. Because last time i did wear one I had the worst panic attack I've had in years...

So I don't go out right now...😑

MoonDancer

Mask wearing in my area is pretty inconsistent. I live in the country, and I think that I'm the only person other than the people who work at the gas station who wears a mask. There are more people wearing masks at the grocery store when I go to town. If I go into a store that has a permanent sign about uncovering your face when you enter (like the gas station), I wear my mask and work ID badge (I work in a hospital). I haven't had any problems. 

Since I've been sewing face masks, I've been debating if I should carry some extra ones to give to people who work in service jobs. I don't know how people would react. I don't have any elastic left to make ones that hook over the ears, so I make ones with long ties that go around your head. I actually find those to be much more comfortable.

On 5/22/2020 at 9:12 PM, Arodash said:

I wouldnt force anyone to wear a mask.

I would agree in public, but if I'm a private business, my staff's safety matters as much as my customers. I'd enforce across the board mask wearing. Don't want to wear one, shop elsewhere. Simple. I'd hire security guards to do the work vs my staff that will already have their hands full.

16 minutes ago, Arodash said:

a private business can deny service

And should. I yesterday bought bubble tea from a highly popular Taiwanese shop in my city. I then saw over 10 people crowd inside shoulder to shoulder, with no masks. I was standing as far as possible (a good 10' away from everyone), but the crowding was crazy, with more people piling in (this is exactly why I carry my sanitizer and mask on me at all times). At this point, stuck there for 5 minutes puts you at a high risk of getting sick if one person happens to be.

Personally, I'd avoid that shop moving forwards until they implemented stricter social distancing policies.

I only shop at places that enforce them.

Businesses need to realize, that the more safety you offer, the more people will want to buy from you.

But the entitlement of someone refusing to leave because of their rights, has them in my opinion deserving to have cops called and arrested for trespassing.

5 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Super simple. 

Tell that to the many Americans and Canadians that took their "rights" into their own hands and were caught on camera doing it.

I just feel for those jobs like Wal-Mart, which pay staff pennies, and expect them to sanitize things, and on top of that, act as security guard to boot. To me, this disgusts me more than anything.

You're already spiking in business and demand. Heck, charge 2% more on critical items to pay for it, and hire damn security guards to man your entrance.

I'm in California and work as a Stock Clerk in a hospital, so wearing a mask is more or less natural for many of us. We wear masks a LOT more than we used to, but it was sort of a natural step for many of us. Plus, I also pretty bad allergies to a lot of things, so I have to wear a mask just to mow the lawn otherwise I start to feel like I'm getting a terrible cold for a few days (even though it's just my allergies kicking up).

So saying that, wearing a mask when I am out and about isn't a detriment for me and I do it every time I leave the house, and honestly don't feel safe without one anymore. Make it a fashion statement if need be, it's possible (I have plain black masks as well as a few red ones for when I'm dressed in my typical gothy-ness , plus I also have a few more that are colorful that I wear when I'm just going out really quick and don't feel like creating the aesthetic).

5 hours ago, Arodash said:

Up charging would be a bad idea right now

Technically, there would be no need for it. You just don't put any sales on those products ever, and just charge full MRSP at all times. They sell like hot cakes, so would pay for the added security.

5 hours ago, Arodash said:

They dont care about employees.

That's unfortunately nothing new. Mind you, they are smart enough to know that many employees dying is bad for business, so at least there's that.

6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

That's unfortunately nothing new. Mind you, they are smart enough to know that many employees dying is bad for business, so at least there's that.

Yeah, I used to work for Amazon about 5 years ago and that's pretty much the vibe they had too. Don't allow anything that can be a liability to occur and keep that revolving door moving. The external face is "we care," when you have to add "about our bottom line" to the end of the sentence in actuality. When I was there, none of my co-workers, nor myself felt valued in the least. So yeah it's pretty common that a lot of bug businesses don't care about their employees, as long as they aren't be held liable for anything. Unfortunate, yes, but like you said, nothing new.

Skycaptain

@PerspektivI'm surprised that those stores aren't restricting the number of customers inside. Here there's a calculation for large stores (these are appropriate figures) of 1 person in store per 6m², 56ft² of open aisle area. Smaller shops just have a notice "maximum X people in the store at one time". The big stores have someone on the door managing the numbers, whilst small stores rely on common courtesy. You queue outside until your turn comes, maintaining social distancing. It works. 

Granted go to a supermarket at 1100 on a Saturday and there's a huge queue, but as payback, there's minimal queueing at the checkout 

On 5/22/2020 at 7:39 PM, Balance said:

They just started requiring face masks in my state (NM), now that they're reopening stores, restaurants, etc. I'm just curious, are there any cities/towns/regions in the United States that don't require face masks for customers / non-employees?

Oh definitely. They're largely not required for customers where I am (southern state). It's the only thing making this crap tolerable right now.

There are a couple locales (city or counties) that are still requiring it for store shopping (aka, pretty much anything) in the vicinity though (ironically they took away the enforcement method so cops can tell you the rules but I don't believe they have anything they can do about it unless someplace is requesting you be removed from the property, and a business can refuse to let you in if they wish to follow the local order but it's up to the business to enforce it). Outside of those areas only one business I know if is requiring it for customers so far.

Archived