Aromantic or just haven't met the right person?

BluePerson

BluePerson

Hey guys, hope everybody's alright out there!

First of all: I am 18 years old, which I guess is still pretty young. However, many (I feel) people have already figured out their gender/sexual/romantic orientation by this age. I like the concept of romantic relationships, just having another person always be there for you.
Sometimes there have been people I met who I found cute and I think I was more nervous around them than around other people. But I never really imagined/fantasized about anything (concerning romantic or sexual actions) with them like I guess is the case with crushes? I only wanted to be their friend or be, like, closer to them. I do know the definition of squishes and maybe that is the case for all the people I have met till now?

In general I don't think I have met a lot of people, although I am definitely not introverted. I just don't like parties which seems to be the most popular place for meeting people? 
I have been wondering if I am aromantic (and asexual as well, but that's another story I guess) or if I have just never met a person to who I feel romantically attracted. Maybe I'm a late bloomer?

If anybody has any advice or experiences I would be very thankful for that :)

I thought I was aromantic for a while, and then I found the right person (it didn't work out, but that's a different story). From my experience if it's a case of not having found the right person, you won't know until you find the right person. Kind of like, aro until proven otherwise. 

thanksbutno
2 hours ago, BluePerson said:

Sometimes there have been people I met who I found cute and I think I was more nervous around them than around other people. But I never really imagined/fantasized about anything (concerning romantic or sexual actions) with them like I guess is the case with crushes? I only wanted to be their friend or be, like, closer to them. I do know the definition of squishes and maybe that is the case for all the people I have met till now?

Hi! I love this part of your post. Samesies. In answer to your question, if you feel you're aro, you're aro. It doesn't matter if it will change in the future. It is what works now. 

It's like, a guy wondering "am I straight or just haven't met the right man yet?": it is an unnecessary question. Here and now, you feel aro. That's great. If that changes, well, then you'll know when (IF) it happens. And that will also be great.

It's fine to use a label with the disclaimer that it might change at some point in the future.  Orientations can be surprisingly fluid.

Archived