Marvel Comics

Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne

I lot of people were telling me, a huge Marvelite, to create a thread here to discuss Marvel comics, characters, animated shows, films... :) 

Fellow Marvel fans, unite!

Galactic Turtle

Well I read Star Wars comics which are technically published by Marvel. ^_^ 

Grumpy Alien

I read a few X-Men comics as a kid but I’m more of a casual MCU fan now. Marvel is a million times better than DC and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

Bruce Wayne

Oh yeah! Star Wars comics have been published by Marvel since 1977 right? But to be honest, I haven't read any of those. :D 

Bruce Wayne
1 minute ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

I read a few X-Men comics as a kid but I’m more of a casual MCU fan now. Marvel is a million times better than DC and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

I'm a huge fan of the X-Men. Ever since I watched X-Men: Evolution when I was 9. That animated show made me a Marvel fan.

Grumpy Alien
4 minutes ago, Steve Rogers said:

I'm a huge fan of the X-Men. Ever since I watched X-Men: Evolution when I was 9. That animated show made me a Marvel fan.

I watched that too! I first got interested in X-Men when the first film was announced and I discovered my love for Hugh Jackman. But then I thought “mutants?! YES PLEASE” and that was my gateway drug.

Bruce Wayne
Just now, Kimchi Peanut said:

I watched that too! I first got interested in X-Men when the first film was announced and I discovered my love for Hugh Jackman. But then I thought “mutants?! YES PLEASE” and that was my gateway drug.

Oh wow! That's amazing.

When I saw the first X-Men film, I was 9, and I was like "Why is Wolverine so young?!" Because you know, in Evolution (and other animated shows) he looked like he was in his 40's 
(although he was much, much older) whereas in the films he looked like he was in his early 30's.

But gradually, Jackman aged on screen as well, and I think in Days of Future Past he really looked like a cool 150+ year-old who actually looks like he's in his 40's.

Grumpy Alien
1 minute ago, Arodash said:

Have you seen DC animated films? Wayyy better than MCU.

I don’t particularly like animated films that aren’t Disney movies. Even as a kid, I was very picky about animated tv shows. But I really hate DC characters.

Bruce Wayne
2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Have you seen DC animated films? Wayyy better than MCU.

I like both Marvel and DC. Please don't fight here! I think they're both great. They're also different from each other.

3 minutes ago, Arodash said:

I had no idea the cap. Was such a huge fan of the xmen lol

I love the X-Men! Maybe I'll rename myself for Wolverine here on AVEN.

I would say that Marvel has far more characters that I enjoy than I liked from DC, despite DC having my favorite character. Other than Batman, Watchmen (the comic, not the movie), and a tiny slight bit of Superman (I like some of the live action shows based on him), I never really cared much for DC. Marvel has a wider range of characters I liked, such as Spider-Man (loved the Ultimate Spider-Man comics), Iron Man (prefer the movies over the comics I've read), The Hulk, the assorted X-Men, Captain America, etc. I thought a lot of Marvels characters were really cool, even if story arcs ended up being hit or miss.

I just wish I knew where to start with X-Men comics. I've only read 'God Loves, Man Kills' and was in the middle of the road with it, and REALLY want to read more but the comics tend to seem like a weird amalgamation of different X-Men lines (Sorta like there's The Amazing Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man that were running concurrently, then Ultimate Spider-Man that was, at the time, a new ongoing that was a modern reboot of the series. How to start the X-Men comics confused me a heck of a lot more than Spider-Man ever did).

Bruce Wayne
On 5/24/2020 at 10:57 PM, CallaWolf said:

I would say that Marvel has far more characters that I enjoy than I liked from DC, despite DC having my favorite character. Other than Batman, Watchmen (the comic, not the movie), and a tiny slight bit of Superman (I like some of the live action shows based on him), I never really cared much for DC. Marvel has a wider range of characters I liked, such as Spider-Man (loved the Ultimate Spider-Man comics), Iron Man (prefer the movies over the comics I've read), The Hulk, the assorted X-Men, Captain America, etc. I thought a lot of Marvels characters were really cool, even if story arcs ended up being hit or miss.

I just wish I knew where to start with X-Men comics. I've only read 'God Loves, Man Kills' and was in the middle of the road with it, and REALLY want to read more but the comics tend to seem like a weird amalgamation of different X-Men lines (Sorta like there's The Amazing Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man that were running concurrently, then Ultimate Spider-Man that was, at the time, a new ongoing that was a modern reboot of the series. How to start the X-Men comics confused me a heck of a lot more than Spider-Man ever did).

I love both Marvel and DC. They're both unique.

By the way, when it comes to X-Men, I can tell you exactly. I'm a massive fan of the X-Men, even bigger than I am a fan of Avengers (I should really re-name myself Wolverine here). I don't think the comics are a "weird amalgamation of different X-Men lines". I can navigate through the X-Men comics quite easily.

Uncanny X-Men: Volume 1 was started in September 1963 (the same month that Avengers #1 was released) by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Jack left after 17 issues and was replaced by Werner Roth. Stan left after the first 19 issues, his last being the story about Mimic, and from then on Roy Thomas used to write the series. This run, which I like to unofficially call X-Men: Season One, ended in 1969, with a sequence of stories by Roy Thomas and the legendary Neal Adams. Chris Claremont already worked at Marvel by that point and used to proofread those stories.

Between 1970 and 1975 the book was cancelled. Chris recalled it was solely because the way Marvel got the info about sales was so slow, they cancelled it even before they found out it the sales were pretty good (some sources on the internet say that these later issues were not succesful but according to Claremont, that's not true, they did pretty well). In the 70's, Stan Lee was a publisher, and he tasked Roy Thomas with re-newing the X-Men, hoping for a more international audience. Roy gave the job to Len Wein who wrote Giant Size X-Men #1, drawn by Dave Cockrum. Then he went freelancing, so he left after this first thing. The story that started in Giant Size continued in the Uncanny X-Men series, at that time titled All New, All Different X-Men. And it was being written by Chris Claremont since then. So from 1975 to 1991 you have the Chris Claremont run. In the 80's, you get the spin-offs, also written by him - The New Mutants (from 1982), Wolverine (1982), Kitty Pryde & Wolverine (1984), Wolverine (1988-1991), Nightcrawler (forgot the year :D) and also Excalibur (1987).  And then, in 1991, X-Men: Volume 2 was started, with #1 by Claremont and Jim Lee becoming the highest-selling individual comic book issue ever. So that's the "first run".

GlamRocker

The only comic I read is JUDGE DREDD. And I $%@#%$@#ing ❤️ JUDGE DREDD, that's 2000 AD so I got no horse in the DC vs Marvel race where comics are concerned. Though, growing up I did read a little of X Men! I've read other comics, of course, but I don't FOLLOW them like I think is meant by "reading comics" (the way I do Judge Dredd.) I loved Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Preacher, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac for example...I guess the reason I can't really "follow" those is because... they ended. I always wanted to read Sandman, too.

Anyway, I'm a HUGE MCU MOVIE fan

And CAP is my FAVORITE!!!

• 5 weeks later...
Bruce Wayne

I just wanted to ask... Has any of you seen the X-Men movie reunion yesterday? It was brief but Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Famke Janssen and Halle Berry were in it, sort of representing the original movies, and then Ryan Reynolds sneaked in, wanting an X-Men Origins reunion which he got in the end because Liev Schreiber joined in, and also James McAvoy and Sophie Turner from The Beginnings films appeared there briefly as well.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:25 PM, Kimchi Peanut said:

Marvel is a million times better than DC and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

DC has Swamp Thing, which is a billion times better than all of Marvel (except for Moon Knight, he's pretty cool).

• 3 weeks later...
Bruce Wayne

Today, the first X-Men movie celebrates its 20th anniversary!

• 5 months later...

(Boop. feeling kinda weird reviving threads for some reason 😅 but at least i dont have to make a new one? XD)

I love X-men! After watching the movies I got into reading the comics, trying to read the old ones and got as far as the introduction of the new mutants... I don't know why but I got bored with it 😅 I still love xmen, generally more than the other superheroes, because their powers are innate and there's also the discrimination that they experience (which im sad about, but this challenge they face as a 'race' makes their story very interesting and the different factions that arise within their group) and the identity issues / recognition (wanting to be normal vs wanting to be accepted for who they are). I also became more interested in X-force, but I haven't read much of them (just that one where Cyc created the group in secret). I haven't watched any of the animated x-men series. >< Maybe sometime in the future I will get back into reading their comic again but maybe continue on from somewhere in the middle of the 2000s. 😅

Some months ago I got into reading Spider-man comics for the first time but starting from Brand New Day (cause I didn't want to get into old comics anymore 😅😅😅). It wasn't that much interesting except some arcs, like Grim Hunt or Shed (oof), but I started liking it when Peter got into Horizon XD. I'm reading slower now, but I'm at the Superior Spider-man arc. This is really weird but I like that we get to see stuff like how much Spidey's (peter's) kindness was taken for granted, or how ineffective Peter was in patrolling, he could have actually spent more time with everyone he cares about and be on time 😅, and so on -- but then relying on these spider bots also removes the human element in the whole thing and Spidey is now really becoming less and less 'friendly neighborhood spider-man' (which makes me love old spidey better). I think it's nice to see the differences.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:33 AM, Bruce Wayne said:

I just wanted to ask... Has any of you seen the X-Men movie reunion

Actually I saw this some time ago hahah. I was excited that Marvel finally got the rights (just because there would be more xmen movies lol) but was sad that x-men/deadpool wasn't mentioned at all during the phase 4 reveal. 😢

WhereTheSkiesEnd
4 hours ago, Elevn said:

Some months ago I got into reading Spider-man comics for the first time

I've read the Spider-Gwen comics. I would like to read more Spider-man/Spider-verse comics, but kinda confused where to start. Is Brand New Day a good starting point? Are there other starting points? 

15 hours ago, WhereTheSkiesEnd said:

I've read the Spider-Gwen comics. I would like to read more Spider-man/Spider-verse comics, but kinda confused where to start. Is Brand New Day a good starting point? Are there other starting points? 

Haha yeah, I know it can get overwhelming. x_x From what I know, Brand New Day arc was after Peter's marriage (!) with MJ (and the whole identity reveal of Spidey, as Peter Parker, to the 'world', just like how it is now in the MCU) was retconned. 😅 There are probably other better starting points than that. Some people recommend starting with Stan Lee's run which is right at the start of Amazing Spider-man. You can also start there. I didn't only because I found from previous experience that I prefer a more modern style of writing. Personally, I am enjoying Dan Slott's run so far, starting from Big Time arc (Amazing Spider-man #648). Then reading that straight through until #700. I'm not sure which style of comics you prefer but you can try to see from these which one fits your reading style better :)I also found a comic a month ago called Spider-man: Life Story, which summarizes the adventures of Spidey throughout the decades, i guess for people like me who are too lazy to go through all that comic. 😅😅😅 If you want to get into Spider-verse, I know it was also in Dan Slott's run. :)

WhereTheSkiesEnd

This might sound stupid (I'm new to comics)😅, but I'm looking more for short series because the longer ones seem like too much of an investment for me (of money, mostly). But I'm gonna look into Dan Slott and see what else he wrote. I think I going to get that Spider-man: Life Story comic, Thanks for the recommendations!😁

40 minutes ago, WhereTheSkiesEnd said:

This might sound stupid (I'm new to comics)😅, but I'm looking more for short series because the longer ones seem like too much of an investment for me (of money, mostly). But I'm gonna look into Dan Slott and see what else he wrote. I think I going to get that Spider-man: Life Story comic, Thanks for the recommendations!😁

no not at all, totally get what you mean :) but yeah I do think that you can read the Spider-verse arc in a collected volume instead. That should make it easier...hopefully? XD The main spider-verse arc is in The Amazing Spider-Man Volume 3: Spider-Verse. As for the other titles related to the Spider-verse, if you are interested in them, you can check out the titles of the collected volumes in here. :)

Archived