antidepressants and libido vs sexual attraction (question mark?)

Aven Mindcensor

Aven Mindcensor

after questioning my asexuality for a month or so I started taking antidepressants, which made me lose the feeling that made me want to masturbate. but I still feel like I would want to have sex and thought I might just be sex favorable, but I don't understand if I am sexual attraction? confusion? aaa?!?!? I feel like ive been able to separate platonic attraction from romantic attraction since antidepressants, but maybe I don't feel sexual attraction? I am just rambling and cannot make sense of any of my thoughts. basically, if I am on antidepressants and my libido decreased completely, would I still feel sexual attraction if I was allosexual? I guess I wouldn't be able to tell really because I have been in my house for many months. but hypothetically. also is it possible to be sexually attracted to someone online if it was a specific person or would it have to be in person?

Curiouser_And_Curiouser

Can't help you much, sorry. Never had a high one in the first place, and what little I had seems to have tanked on antidepressants. I am indifferent, as I didn't want sex before and still don't. The fact that you want to have it even without a libido sounds kinda allo to me, but I don't know how qualified I am to say that since I'm pretty sure I'm not, so someone else will have to check in with that.

4 hours ago, Aven Mindcensor said:

after questioning my asexuality for a month or so I started taking antidepressants, which made me lose the feeling that made me want to masturbate. but I still feel like I would want to have sex and thought I might just be sex favorable, but I don't understand if I am sexual attraction? confusion? aaa?!?!? I feel like ive been able to separate platonic attraction from romantic attraction since antidepressants, but maybe I don't feel sexual attraction? I am just rambling and cannot make sense of any of my thoughts. basically, if I am on antidepressants and my libido decreased completely, would I still feel sexual attraction if I was allosexual? I guess I wouldn't be able to tell really because I have been in my house for many months. but hypothetically. also is it possible to be sexually attracted to someone online if it was a specific person or would it have to be in person?

1- Personally, would say you're sexual if you're seeking sex and just lacking the libido right now because of meds. By the way, depression in itself can lower ones sexual functions but that also doesn't mean they are necessarily asexual, ie. They wouldn't want sex otherwise.

IF you thought you were asexual and that shifted when you started taking meds but now your libido is on the low because of the side effects and you are questioning ... you could well be allo? Soo, only you know, etc. 

Do speak to your doctor if your meds are affecting you too much. 

2- I do not see how you couldn't be sexually interested in someone over the Internet personally. (...isn't that what celebrity crushes or whatever are mostly about?) 

So this is impossible for us to tell you. If you can't figure this out right away it is not a big deal. If you are like me on medication it could mean that you should first focus on yourself (self-care and feeling better) for the time being before overthinking identity and considering relationships and stuff. I get impatient as well some days but then I see that some problems can only be solved by being patient. I think that when you will feel better the confusion will disappear more easily.

I'm pretty sure that antidepressants and hormones act against libido but I don't know if they can impact asexuality. From my personal experience they did not.

• Like 1

I can't tell you if you experience sexual attraction or not, but libido and sexual attraction are not the same thing. Libido is your drive for sexual activity and sexual attraction is desire for sex with another person. So I believe even if you have a low or absent libido, you can still experience sexual attraction to another person. The medication may play a role in your desire for sexual activity in general, but it doesn't take away sexual attraction if that makes sense? Allosexuals have this experience has well.

Also different types of antidepressants have differing effects on your libido. This was a concern for me when I started on antidepressants because I didn't want to decrease my libido. Wellbutrin is the one antidepressant that I know of that is not likely to decrease libido. I'm not sure any of this is helpful.

binary suns
On 5/20/2020 at 3:20 PM, Aven Mindcensor said:

after questioning my asexuality for a month or so I started taking antidepressants, which made me lose the feeling that made me want to masturbate. but I still feel like I would want to have sex and thought I might just be sex favorable, but I don't understand if I am sexual attraction?

why do you feel like you would want to have sex? I mean, I can't tell you what you are, but if you know you want sex in your life then that would make you sexual, no? but sometimes people say that because they feel like they're supposed to like sex or something along that line.

Aven Mindcensor
On 5/21/2020 at 4:25 PM, LibraGirl said:

I can't tell you if you experience sexual attraction or not, but libido and sexual attraction are not the same thing. Libido is your drive for sexual activity and sexual attraction is desire for sex with another person. So I believe even if you have a low or absent libido, you can still experience sexual attraction to another person. The medication may play a role in your desire for sexual activity in general, but it doesn't take away sexual attraction if that makes sense? Allosexuals have this experience has well.

Also different types of antidepressants have differing effects on your libido. This was a concern for me when I started on antidepressants because I didn't want to decrease my libido. Wellbutrin is the one antidepressant that I know of that is not likely to decrease libido. I'm not sure any of this is helpful.

I tried welbutrin last year and it was awful and I was just lying there for a few hours wondering if I should move and questioning if I had free will, and also telling myself to move my finger just for the sake of proving that I could decide to do things, and then I would proceed to not move my finger. that is unrelated tho.

Aven Mindcensor
On 5/21/2020 at 6:56 PM, Float On said:

why do you feel like you would want to have sex? I mean, I can't tell you what you are, but if you know you want sex in your life then that would make you sexual, no? but sometimes people say that because they feel like they're supposed to like sex or something along that line.

I mean I don't want to not have sex, and I feel like I should try it, because i'm not opposed to it.

Gifted With Singleness
4 hours ago, Aven Mindcensor said:

I mean I don't want to not have sex, and I feel like I should try it, because i'm not opposed to it.

Asexuality doesn't mean that you're sex-repulsed or a "celibacy enthusiast" or whatever. It just means that you don't actively desire sex. Some asexuals are willing to have sex, and some are even capable of getting some enjoyment out of it, but they're still asexual because they still don't have a desire for it.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:20 PM, Aven Mindcensor said:

also is it possible to be sexually attracted to someone online if it was a specific person or would it have to be in person?

If you have some kind of desire to have sex with that person, that would be sexual attraction. It doesn't matter where you met them.

Aven Mindcensor
2 hours ago, GiftedWithSingleness said:

If you have some kind of desire to have sex with that person, that would be sexual attraction. It doesn't matter where you met them.

there is no specific person, I just feel like I should try sex before I decide u know?

Gifted With Singleness
18 minutes ago, Aven Mindcensor said:

there is no specific person, I just feel like I should try sex before I decide u know?

Before you decide what? Whether or not you're asexual? You don't need to have sex to know that.

Janus the Fox

Just a reminder that if a person wishes to have sex to find out who they are, this action of behaviour is reasonable and valid regardless of sexuality.

• Like 2