Are straight ships "gross" or "boring"?

17 hours ago, MaggieB said:

I've found something like this

If there are posts like that it means there is a problem. I've seen some posts saying that straight ships are "abusive" or "gross" or whatever. Really, there are many cute straight ships, what is problem with them?

I think the problem is Ace Attorney ... I can't seem to ship any straight couples there but it really does up my gay pretty hard. 

Half joking but actually truth. 

19 hours ago, Arodash said:
22 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

This is a favorite dynamic in romances featuring vampires, though competent writers can actually make it work (usually, however, the love interest is a good deal older than 16).

The true forbidden relationship between a vampire and a werewolf! Lol

There are some great vampire/werewolf romances out there, if you don't mind m/m (male/male romance). Just saying. 8)

For myself, the reason I don't read m/f romance is mainly because of the way it's written and I have never pictured myself in such a situation. More often than not, the female character is given just enough definition so she moves across the page and speaks somewhat intelligibly, but vague enough the reader can "insert" themselves into the narrative. Unless you have a really competent writer like Nalini Singh, Jennifer Ashley, or Suzanne Brockmann, reading romances can be a very uncomfortable experience, especially if you have never identified with the stereotyping of what it means to be female/a woman.

Evobessive
On 5/20/2020 at 2:09 PM, Jade Cross said:

Raw footage of shipers going at it 

I love that bit in the movie, I love Barbossa just shouting 'just kiss!' so funny 😁

Evobessive

To be honest there are straight and gay ships that I like and those I don't. The important thing is whether the pair have chemistry and if the couple avoid reinforcing negative habits in relationships. It's not the gender of the charecters that make the relationship work it's whether the relationship is well written. 

Twisted Tempest

I feel like this is unnecessary hate on hetero people. There is zero need for it. Unnecessary hate isn't going to achieve anything. Personally I don't like shipping. Way I see things, unless two given characters are canonically in a relationship or like each other, there is no ship to be had. But if someone gets enjoyment out of shipping characters, then there is no reason to hate on them for it. Let them enjoy themselves, hetero or otherwise. 

Personally, straight ships aren't gross (one of my OTPs is VegeBul and I will fight anyone who claims they're not perfect), but they do tend to be boring. As others have mentioned, often times characters are allowed better chemistry with their same-sex friends because of writers being nervous about writing inter-gender friendships non-romantically. And it's generally the default that characters with opposite sex organs will eventually get together because they looked at each other for longer than five seconds in the whole movie/episode/whatever. 

Thought fandom-wise, I find more straight ships to be canon and therefore receive less obsession than non-canon ships that exist entirely in the realm of fandoms. As if the plethora of material needs to be provided to explain it to others. There's a lot in terms of shipping of off-screen contact, double meanings behind words, and other stuff that isn't shown on the screen. 

As an example of this, Vegeta and Bulma are a HUGE ship in the DBZ fandom, but they have almost no chemistry in the DBZ anime and even less in the manga, and forget about scenes of them expressing more than vague interest in one another. We're getting canon stuff in DBS, but most of the fandom is obsessed with the gaps where they went from enemies to co-parents to a couple. Like, there are things missing there that the fans need to fill in. 

And since most non-straight ships are non-canon, they'd have just as much if not more off-screen gaps needing to be filled.

20 hours ago, Hanas said:

I think the problem is Ace Attorney ... I can't seem to ship any straight couples there but it really does up my gay pretty hard. 

Half joking but actually truth. 

I think Gumshoe has a thing for that Byrde chick in the prologue for the second game, doesn't he? There's a pic of her in his evidence locker (o_0) in Rise from the Ashes at least. I ship them.

Also Mia and... Diego? I forget his name before.

But mostly I ship non-straight couples in AA too. They're given so much chemistry!

52 minutes ago, SithEmpress said:

I think Gumshoe has a thing for that Byrde chick in the prologue for the second game, doesn't he? There's a pic of her in his evidence locker (o_0) in Rise from the Ashes at least. I ship them.

Also Mia and... Diego? I forget his name before.

But mostly I ship non-straight couples in AA too. They're given so much chemistry!

This is what I mean. I *am* fully aware of the straight ships, ... But sorry their dynamics feel so forced. I ship Larry and his unseen girls harder than I do most canon/suggested het ships there. At least there is passion. 😞 

(and in fact my best friend once was such a biiig Miego supporter and I sat there like "... Did I insist so much on you playing that only for you to ship Miego? That psycho would probably throw a hot cup of coffee on her face? Do you have no respect for Lana ???!?!?".)  

8 minutes ago, Hanas said:

(and in fact my best friend once was such a biiig Miego supporter and I sat there like "... Did I insist so much on you playing that only for you to ship Miego? That psycho would probably throw a hot cup of coffee on her face? Do you have no respect for Lana ???!?!?".)  

I like Lana. I think LanaxMia was a cute history thing between them, but I feel way more from Godot in terms of passion for Mia. Maybe it's explored more in the games that I haven't played, but Lana is very cold and emotionless in Rise from the Ashes (obviously) and Ema didn't even know who Mia was, so they couldn't have been super serious if her younger sister had never met her. I need to remember if Maya knew Diego (doubt it, though more reason not to since they lived far apart) but Diego did a lot for Maya in respect for Mia, in my opinion. 

I'm more of the "Do you have no respect for Godot?" type since I feel like entire game was him being an asshole because the love of his life died and he can't figure out how to cope with it other than protect her sister and make sure Phoenix is a good protege. 

29 minutes ago, SithEmpress said:

I like Lana. I think LanaxMia was a cute history thing between them, but I feel way more from Godot in terms of passion for Mia. Maybe it's explored more in the games that I haven't played, but Lana is very cold and emotionless in Rise from the Ashes (obviously) and Ema didn't even know who Mia was, so they couldn't have been super serious if her younger sister had never met her. I need to remember if Maya knew Diego (doubt it, though more reason not to since they lived far apart) but Diego did a lot for Maya in respect for Mia, in my opinion. 

I'm more of the "Do you have no respect for Godot?" type since I feel like entire game was him being an asshole because the love of his life died and he can't figure out how to cope with it other than protect her sister and make sure Phoenix is a good protege. 

... Well I mean there *is* a whole game dedicated pretty much to Godot's passion for Mia and I ain't actually judging anyone for liking them. Because that would be silly if it wasn't canon, let alone being canon. 

Idk, I can't remember a lot since it's been a decade or something since I last replayed the trilogy lol. All I know is Lana did intend to protect Mia and Maya iirc. I am guilty of IDing Ema a lot though which may explain why I cheer for her and her family in general whenever possible even if there isn't much in canon to back up that. :P 

... As for Godot I have to admit I have little respect for his character. Sorry. Yeah yeah it's a game where a parrot testifies in court, it shouldn't be realistic, whatever, still sat there through most of T&T thinking "when will we get to the good part? (= anything but Dramatic Coffee Man)". Nothing personal but. Yeah. 

... On the other hand Narumitsu over that any day, which is why I can't completely disagree from OP's screenshot just maybe their choice of words. LOL. 

Everyone should know that space ships are the best ships

Skycaptain
Just now, Una Salus Victus said:

Skyship? 😋😋

Lord Jade Cross

I'd be tempted to put a video of a different kind of ship but I'm not sure if involvement of panty shots might get me in trouble ^-^;

Skycaptain
59 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

I'd be tempted to put a video of a different kind of ship but I'm not sure if involvement of panty shots might get me in trouble ^-^

It will get you into trouble, not posting is the correct option 😋😋

8 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

:wub:

Lord Jade Cross
45 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

It will get you into trouble, not posting is the correct option 😋😋

Oh well. I'll just leave it with this. Waifu ships 

Gucci_Grape

I think my issue with straight ships sometimes, even though I am heteromantic myself, is that they are so prevalent in media. Straight people are literally everywhere in movies and TV, so it can be really easy to deem their relationships "boring" to create a sense of autonomy. I have no idea what people are thinking, but many of my friends have mentioned that they gravitate away from straight ships because heteronormativity is already being constantly shoved down their throats. 

It's also strange because of the presence of toxic masculinity and sexism in nearly everything. Because of these factors, straight relationships often feel forced or uncomfortable. Yet, we still normalize these uncomfortable relationships because they fit into the heterosexual narrative media companies want to promote. It's this agenda (I hate that word, but I can't think of anything better to use) that makes creepy relationships like in The Phantom of the Opera, Grease, Twilight, etc. completely acceptable to the public. 

This narrative also promotes the harmful idea that non-heterosexual relationships are unnatural and abusive. If I had a nickle for how many times I've heard people say they hate gay people because they are "dangerous deviants," I would be a very rich woman. These generalizations are harmful for all parties involved and we need to work a lot harder and stop making snap judgments about people based on their sexual orientations. 

I actually haven't seen much of this problem with straight ships. I usually see it more with queer ships.

One of the reasons behind this problem is most-likely what @Gucci_Grape has said and I agree with her.

Straight people are everywhere in the media and it's constantly presented to the point that some people may have gone tired of it.

Though regardless if it's a hetero/queer ship or not, some things shouldn't be normalized.

Personally, I didn't think much of shipping at first but now that I seen more of it. I kinda understand why people like it.

I mean whether it's straight/queer a ship or not, I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't go against my morals.

Like age-gaps (minors with adults), sexualizing fetishes, pairing characters that don't have any reason to do so in my eyes ...etc.

Or that one character you just know, it's shouldn't be shipped with anyone because that's just wrong in general.

My only problem is when it's fetished/obsessed to the point it becomes gross. (The reason why I didn't want to get involved in this fan-culture.)

3 hours ago, Destan said:

(The reason why I didn't want to get involved in this fan-culture.)

To be fair, there are different levels of fan culture and you don't have to read or enjoy fanfic in order to be in it. It's entirely possible to have a conversation with a fellow fan without ever bringing up fanfic or the more toxic areas that plague such fandom. 

5 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

To be fair, there are different levels of fan culture and you don't have to read or enjoy fanfic in order to be in it. It's entirely possible to have a conversation with a fellow fan without ever bringing up fanfic or the more toxic areas that plague such fandom. 

That's true. I apologize for what I said. I'm aware that what you have said it's possible. I just have seen a lot that I wish I didn't at all, which made my experiences with it not that great.

I actually don't read fanfic but I do enjoy fanart. 

Marimbasticks

I have nothing against straight ships, they just aren't interesting to me. But people can ship whoever they want. My only hard no (that I can think of right now, there are probably others) is incest because just no. Right now I don't write straight ships (because boring) but I could in the future if the characters are compelling enough. 

On 5/22/2020 at 2:16 AM, Una Salus Victus said:

You'd like Ian M. Banks' stuff.

GlamRocker

Romance has a hard time appealing to me in general, though there are some stand-outs in my entertainment history. Also, I'm not into shipping... and I've had a bad experience with shipping culture.

I'm a Supernatural fan.

Shipping culture also bugs me because it seems to devalue friendship... if you have any two characters with good chemistry, the friendship they already have is often looked at as just a "stepping stone" to the main course... them getting together romantically. It makes you feel as if people think you can't even HAVE meaningful, intense relationships unless they're based on some underlying romantic or sexual pull. Or that they should be. Man, that pisses me off.

Anyway, no judgment, though. I know it's just a hobby a lot of people enjoy and as long as they aren't getting to that harassment level (I'm looking at YOU Destiel shippers!) we're all good.

That being said, I do find it's hard for me to relate to straight relationships as much as gay ones in entertainment. I think it's because hetero relationship dynamics are often portrayed full of inequality.

• 7 months later...
Oberon Jasper

One of my favorite ships is straight (RumplestiltskinXBelle) but some of my are queer ships (JulianXStevens). I only have problems when the relationship is abusive like when a Bully gets shipped with the MC or the person they bully.(2Doc which is queer or 2Nu which has a problematic age gap and is straight). I only have problems when the relationship isn't healthy. If the ship is healthy I could care less if it's straight or queer.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:45 PM, GlamRocker said:

Shipping culture also bugs me because it seems to devalue friendship... if you have any two characters with good chemistry, the friendship they already have is often looked at as just a "stepping stone" to the main course... them getting together romantically. It makes you feel as if people think you can't even HAVE meaningful, intense relationships unless they're based on some underlying romantic or sexual pull. Or that they should be. Man, that pisses me off.

I understand this, I'm a huge fan of BBC's Merlin and though I understand why Arthur and Merlin are shipped, it kind of dismisses the idea that two friends can be as devoted to each other as they are and the only reason why they do so much is because they are in love. I mean platontic relationships are sometimes treated so poorly in fandoms and sometimes in the media itself, treating like a less important relationship than romance.

failing adult

i don't have any straight ships myself, just because it opens a door in my brain that's like,, that totally is something you would of had to do, in regards to sex in the ship and that really sets me off so I tend to avoid them.

However there's nothing wrong with straight ships, they're awesome and can be really cute and absolutely heart-wrenchingly emotional a lot of the time. 

People hating on straight ships just because they're straight is stupid, if you don't like it dont engage with it and leave everyone else alone yaknow, it's not rocket science. 

One (canon) straight pairing I really love is Wash and Zoe, from Firefly.  It feels like a very healthy, realistic romance.  I also like that neither of the characters is a gendered stereotype- Wash is the non-combat member of the ship's crew, being better at talking than fighting, and Zoe is a hardened veteran with a feminine side.

Archived