Languages

GingerRose

talk  

157 members have voted

1. 1. What languages do you speak fluently//intermediately?

• Spanish
    • English
    • Japanese
    • Vietnamese
    • Korean
    • Arabic
    • German
    • Italian
    • French
    • Patois
    • Russian
    • Chinese
    • Hindustani
    • Urdu
    • Portuguese
    • Other (comment)

This poll is closed to new votes

English is my native language.

I took French for 6 years (10+ years ago) but didn't retain any of it due to lack of practicing.

I've been picking up some Spanish from friends I've made over the last year. I'm obviously not fluent but I'll mix it in conversation with Spanish speakers because I know that's the best way to learn.

J. van Deijck
On 5/23/2020 at 6:43 AM, cato said:

Use it or lose it!

This is how I forgot all my German. 🤭

Selecting "Chinese" as one of my options felt uncomfortable for me as I speak Cantonese but not Mandarin.  Potentially need to split these two. 

just English and German. although i used to speak Korean and Mandarin (some Russian but not as fluently) but have lost it over the years.

MetricalSky

Just English. I did learn French in school, but without practice I've forgotten most of it.

J. van Deijck
23 hours ago, CBC said:

I'm familiar with the Cyrillic alphabet

Same here, but that's because it was mandatory to learn Russian where I was born when my parents were young, so my dad taught me. 

• 3 weeks later...
RandomPotato02

I love learning new languages, I'm just not very good at it lol

German: native

English: very good (I even began thinking in English a few years ago haha)

French: kinda well (had it at school), but it has been better when I spoke it regularly

Japanese: not well at all (hope to learn it properly in the future tho)

Latin: random words

Plattdüütsch: Can understand, but not speak

I also wanted to learn Esperato, Greek and Dutch at some point, but I abandoned that quickly.

J. van Deijck
5 hours ago, RandomPotato02 said:

I also wanted to learn Esperato, Greek and Dutch at some point, but I abandoned that quickly.

Dutch is awesome, and I think you would rather catch up quickly since you're a native German speaker. ^_^

Russian is my favorite language, though I would hardly say that I speak it anymore. It has been 15 years since I've practiced speaking Russian. There is just something about Slavic languages that really appeals to me.

J. van Deijck
2 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Russian is my favorite language, though I would hardly say that I speak it anymore. It has been 15 years since I've practiced speaking Russian. There is just something about Slavic languages that really appeals to me.

What about Polish?

1 minute ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

What about Polish?

I studied Polish for exactly one semester in college, which was still pretty cool once you get used to it. I do prefer the Cyrillic alphabet, though.

J. van Deijck
19 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I studied Polish for exactly one semester in college, which was still pretty cool once you get used to it. I do prefer the Cyrillic alphabet, though.

Did you have problems with our grammar? A lot of people say it's a killer :D Cyrillic alphabet is actually pretty, seems way cooler than Latin.

Interference

Native tongue is Indonesian.

I can speak english a bit fluently, i guess. 

other languages i know: javanese (semi-fluent, but only in the basic politeness level) and malay (passive only). malay is a bit of cheating because indonesian is technically a dialect of malay, but we have different vocabularies for some things (malay was more english influenced, indonesia is more dutch influenced) and word usage so it's kinda hard to speak or write in. 

i learned japanese and korean, but stopped. havent picked it up since.

German is my native language, I'm fluent in English and intermediately fluent in Spanish, Dutch (and, kind of, inLatin which is really extremely helpful...). I'm learning Welsh and Scottish Gaelic but am not nearly fluent there yet.

• 7 months later...

My native language is Russian and also Ukrainian (although I speak it much more rare so I speak it a bit worse than Russian). I'm learning English and currently have a B2 level (some tests can show that it's C1 but I'm not so sure about that, I think my vocabulary and grammar are not that good), but I'm out of practice since the start of quarantine - before I attended an English-speaking drama school which helped me a lot with my speaking skills, and now I can only watch movies and videos to keep myself "in shape". Also, I guess I can understand some Belarusian since it's very similar to Russian and Ukrainian, but I don't think that counts ☺️

German: native

English: fluent/nearly native

French: fluent

Spanish: intermediate (B1?)

Swedish: very very basic

Finnish, English, and Swedish (from best to worst). Because I know Swedish, I understand a decent amount of Norwegian and Danish as well, but I can't formulate sentences myself by using those two languages.

Native English speaker. Learning Japanese. In the past, I spoke Spanish at an intermediate level. 

I've also studied Korean, ASL, Modern Greek, German, Esperanto and Ancient Egyptian. 

When I am fluent in Japanese, I plan on learning German, Spanish and Korean (one at a time).

My native language is Hungarian, but I'm fluent in English. My French and German once were fluent too, but now they are just laying somewhere in my mind rusting.

• 2 weeks later...
AlaricLandking

English native, learning Dutch. I've got about 1500-2000 words of Dutch, can read it slowly, understand it spoken slowly, panic and blank if i have to speak it myself. ^^'

Also know a smattering of Maori but nowhere near enough to do anything useful.

I'm a native English speaker, so there's that. I also have learned some French for when I go to grad school, but I am rusty as early last year I didn't have the money to take the next semester and haven't been able to return because of the pandemic and everything. I was taking it from a community college, so I was still pretty much a beginner.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:43 AM, cato said:

Use it or lose it!

So true! I studied Spanish at uni, but it's almost gone in terms of speaking abilities now (at least I think so because I never had an opportunity to practise communicating in it outside the classroom, and my listening comprehension even then was low.) I also lost my motivation to continue learning Italian. 

I retained some German vocabulary and expressions from school, but my grammar is a jumbled mess, so I won't even try to answer in German when an occassional speaker approaches me in the street. 

OptimisticPessimist

English is native language. I know a fair amount of French and know some Korean, though not totally fluent in either 

spencexists

English is my first language but I grew up in California with a shit ton of relatives in Spain and a mostly Spanish speaking grandmother so once I started learning spanish it was super easy because I'd been surrounded by it my entire life. My grandma COULD speak like 99% perfect english she just likes to either confuse us or thinks we'll learn it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dutch is native. English is 95% fluent, it gets better after hanging out with native speakers for a bit. Enough German and French to get by on vacation and have awkward halting conversations. Learnt a bit of Spanish but not enough to tick the poll box.

On 3/7/2021 at 3:43 PM, Piotrek said:

I retained some German vocabulary and expressions from school, but my grammar is a jumbled mess, so I won't even try to answer in German when an occassional speaker approaches me in the street. 

Honestly who can remember all those conjugations and cases? I just say whatever comes to mind and generally the message gets across 😁.

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck
On 3/6/2021 at 12:48 AM, AlaricLandking said:

I've got about 1500-2000 words of Dutch, can read it slowly, understand it spoken slowly, panic and blank if i have to speak it myself. ^^'

Are we the same person? :lol: although I must admit I've started speaking more recently.

Oh wait. My native language is not English :D

On 6/16/2020 at 8:51 PM, A-Panda said:

German is my native language, I'm fluent in English and intermediately fluent in Spanish, Dutch (and, kind of, inLatin which is really extremely helpful...). I'm learning Welsh and Scottish Gaelic but am not nearly fluent there yet.

It's really strange. I took Scottish Gaelic summer classes and most people there were from Germany. Not sure what is going on there.

Archived