Romantic: Nature Vs Nurture

GingerRose

GingerRose

Is any of what is considered Romantic (kissing, hand holding, embracing) created by our scientific nature of humans or is it all from society's social expectations of what looks good and feels right?

Like most things, it's a mix. There is solid brain chemistry behind the effect physical affection has on our moods, but the forms of physical affection and their significance is mostly culturally shaped (though through logical developments that make some gestures common across cultures, in terms of how we express ourselves with our mouths and therefore what lips symbolize, for example).

NorthCircleTraveller

Hey! I would say the romantic feelings behind holding someone's hand (like you're floating above the ground - cheesy but true for me) can be more nature. Because I can hold hands with friends and like it, but not feel like I'm floating. And it's almost the same action.

In addition, because society categorizes and restricts certain actions to romance or other relationship categories, I believe showing affection that is strictly viewed as romantic can ignite romantic feelings.

So, as Snao Cone mentioned I believe it's a mix.

As Snao said, it's a bit of a mix. There's some proof to show how skin-ship chemically affects us, so things such as cuddling, hand-holding, kissing, etc. all have very real and measurable effects on a person's body. Not everyone equally, but it still exists. 

But other things like love languages are certainly culturally influenced. How one shows their affection to a loved one will vary across cultures, times, societies, etc. So all romantic gestures/actions are not the same.

Archived