LGBT+

GingerRose

LGBT+  

189 members have voted

1. 1. As an Ace/Aro person, would you identify as being part of the LGBT+ Community?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

This poll is closed to new votes

It really depends. I'm not going to force myself into a community that doesn't want me, but if it ever comes to a point where aces and aros are widely accepted into the LGBTQ+ community, then sure, I would consider myself a part of it.

As I said recently in another thread, I personally don't feel like I would belong in an LGBT setting, because I perceive their movement as being primarily about the "alternate" forms of sexuality and seeking the freedom to express that, and as an asexual I don't feel like I have a sexuality to express.   To me that's kind of the entire point of being ace.

I lean towards no. I support the LGBTQ community and try to teach other people whenever I get the opportunity, but I don't really feel part of it.

I would love for asexuals to be included en masse, but it's just not happening.

How I explained it to someone is, I wear rainbow socks but that's about it.

I am trans and biromantic, so I belong anyway. But even if I was not, I would lean towards yes. It's not exactly an exclusive society. 

No, because I believe there is no such thing as "The LGBT+ community".

1 hour ago, Phoenix the II said:

LGBT, no

LGBT+, yes.

Second this 🐧😎

I've come to prefer GRSM (Gender, Romantic, and Sexual Minorities) to the ever-growing letter salad that's LGBTwhatever.

That being said - I consider myself part of said "community" (whether or not it really is one is open for debate), due to the fact my sexuality (or lack thereof) is outside the societal norm with all the consequences it entails. So in the quest for recognition and education, I'd say yeah, part of that.

(Plus, as a biromantic who may just as easily end up "with" a person of the same gender, I'd belong under the rainbow umbrella anyway.)

I feel like I belong. I have friends in the community as well and have never really had a reason not to be part of it. But I also agree that I prefer GRSM to LGBT+ because of equality of names and all that. 

Janus the Fox

I’m LGBT+ as an AroAce for other attractions, relationship with the same sex and as Trans or if having no gender is part of the T, depending on which side of the debate is.

I’ll move this to Census Forum as it’s an opinion poll.

Janus DarkFox

Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Musings and Rantings & Open Mic Moderator

5 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

LGBT, no

LGBT+, yes.

Me too

For lgbt, I see me being ace as being lgbt adjacent 

nutterwithasolderingiron

this subject keeps coming up so much that im tempted to just keep a master version of my response i can copy and paste when needed. 

letusdeleteouraccounts
7 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

LGBT, no

LGBT+, yes.

I third this. The “+” is generally an invitation for aces/aros and from my personal experience, I was invited into LGBT+ by bisexuals anyways.

I accept the invitation because I’m in full support of the community’s goals when it comes to the complete liberation of queer people legally and socially and I want to be a part of that movement. Also to mention that I would identify myself as queer, having an identity that differentiates from hetero norms

Nothing makes me LGBT+ other than the + includes asexuality going along by that definition of +, but can't honestly say I feel that connected or wanting to belong anyway. So, I'm going to say no.

BlakeTheNightowl~

nopee 😜 I support it but I don't consider myself and I don't feel connected to it anyways xD

GingerRose
15 hours ago, Red Ivy said:

It really depends. I'm not going to force myself into a community that doesn't want me, but if it ever comes to a point where aces and aros are widely accepted into the LGBTQ+ community, then sure, I would consider myself a part of it.

I used to be on a LGBT+ website and I would say that the majority of users were accepting of Ace/aro people in the LGBT+ community. We did have three or four people against it, but besides that definitely welcoming towards Ace/aro people.

GingerRose
10 hours ago, SithEmpress said:

GRSM

Same all the way.

I just put LGBT+ for now until GSRM gets more popular.

It depends on the context. On one hand, I only learned about asexuality via a Pride event, so I fully support visibility and knowledge that it is OK. On the other hand, the kinds of oppression we face are different. I would err on siding with LGBTQ+/GSRM, though. I feel like not a full member in the community.

Yes. Though, I am also panromantic and trans, though would I still consider myself LGBTQ+ if I was just asexual? Maybe. It’s kind of hard to say because all of it together makes up who I am and it’s hard to not consider it since it’s all important to me.

Skycaptain

Yes, as one of a minority I do. 

J. van Deijck

I'm homoromantic, so that probably makes me fall somewhere there, but I really don't think about it. I am just me and that's it.

I generally consider myself Part of the Community, but I'm aware that not every group/space is oriented towards aros/aces. 

[X] meh

I definitely do feel part of the the LGBT+ community, but I don't know if I would if I wasn't homoromantic?!

• 4 months later...

i believe that asexuality is a sexuality, and therefore is there, but even if I didn't, I still feel as though its not whether it is a sexuality or not, but rather that it is a non-typical identity that solidifies a group as LGBT+ (someone mentioned GRSM, it sounds good if I wouldn't have to elaborate every time I said it 😀)

everywhere and nowhere
On 5/16/2020 at 6:24 AM, Philip027 said:

As I said recently in another thread, I personally don't feel like I would belong in an LGBT setting, because I perceive their movement as being primarily about the "alternate" forms of sexuality and seeking the freedom to express that, and as an asexual I don't feel like I have a sexuality to express.   To me that's kind of the entire point of being ace.

Well, I feel quite the opposite: that asexuality is an "alternate form of sexuality", and certainly not a lack of any sexuality.

Janus the Fox

I can understand this ‘grey area’ between feeling the actual lack of sexuality and that of an alternative sexuality to express, at the very least ‘the 4th sexuality to genuinely think about while questioning’ can ease the anxiety of any stress caused not knowing Asexuality.

This grey area often might just be dependent on a level of interest with Sexuality and might just be that for me, like an intellectual curiosity I’ve studied and keep studying from the AVEN forum and the wider internet for the last 10 years.  In a similar way of my study of Computing and Information Systems for the last 16.

wonder if I'll see the day that this isn't argued about (as much) 😕

I don't want to be part of any community. I'm too much of an individual to call myself part of any group. 😛

Archived