Food preferences/diets

Rontz

Food preferences/diets  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What is the title you most identify with?

• Omnivore (eats everything)
    • Meat Reducer (trys to eat less animal-based food)
    • Pescetarian (vegetarian who eats fish)
    • Vegetarian
    • Vegan
    • Raw Vegan
    • Gluten Free diet (Celiac or for another reason)
    • Other (describe in the comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

I am personally a Vegan since last December! 🙃

Marimbasticks

My parents went vegan during my first semester of college. Came home for Thanksgiving and... Surprise! Although I'm definitely not vegan, I tend to not eat as much meat these days because 1) it's expensive and 2) it's kind of a hassle. If I do eat meat it's usually like ground turkey or something easy. I'm fortunate to live somewhere where meat alternatives are widely available if I want to go that route.

Right now I don't live where non-meat options are always available, and sometimes it's a hassle. I'll also admit I've gotten worse over time and sometimes just cheat because it's easy.

So right now I'm not technically a vegetarian. But I will return to being one when I return home to the States where it's easier. 

"Meat reducer" is closest in describing me, but I'm not doing it to "reduce;" I just am not as big of a fan of eating meat, much. I like vegetables and fruit a lot better.

I tried being "vegan" and "vegetarian" when I was younger, but the lack of essential B vitamins (from meat, milk, etc.) was making my body and brain feel tired, anemic, etc. and not well. So, I've found that making sure I eat a little bit of dairy and occasionally turkey/chicken, etc. helps my body and brain feel better.

everywhere and nowhere

I'm a vegetarian (all my family is omnivorous, unfortunately, although my mom is fairly eco-conscious, so I try to at least persuade her to reduce meat. Anyway, I live alone) and also a fairly picky eater, since also preferences are asked...

For example, I hate onions - I may tolerate small amounts, but when I cook for myself from scratch, I use no onions at all. (I'm extremely sensitive to the smell of vinegar - it immediately induced a gag reflex in me - and someone asked me how I react to peeling onions. But I don't know! I have never peeled an onion!) Interestingly, I like garlic very much.

I generally like vegetables, but there are some I don't like and regret it a bit - particularly peppers and spinach, because they are found in a lot of ready-made vegetarian dishes (for example, most "frozen veggie mixes" contain peppers) - but I just can't make myself like them. My mom was trying to tell me that well-prepared spinach isn't like "kindergarten spinach" (a culinary trauma for many Polish children, it seems), but I didn't like it either. :(

I also never use alcohol in any dishes (for example risotto). I hate the taste and also feel a lot of contempt for alcohol as a psychoactive substance whenever I can see or hear drunk people. I'm not fundamentally anti-drug, but I consider alcohol a drug which only stupefies and doesn't give anything valuable. At least for someone who, like me, is not very sociable and hates parties.

Of other things adults "should" like, I never enjoyed coffee. On the contrary, I can't stand its taste. So also no coffee-containing desserts for me.

9 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I'm a vegetarian (all my family is omnivorous, unfortunately, although my mom is fairly eco-conscious, so I try to at least persuade her to reduce meat. Anyway, I live alone) and also a fairly picky eater, since also preferences are asked...

For example, I hate onions - I may tolerate small amounts, but when I cook for myself from scratch, I use no onions at all. (I'm extremely sensitive to the smell of vinegar - it immediately induced a gag reflex in me - and someone asked me how I react to peeling onions. But I don't know! I have never peeled an onion!) Interestingly, I like garlic very much.

I generally like vegetables, but there are some I don't like and regret it a bit - particularly peppers and spinach, because they are found in a lot of ready-made vegetarian dishes (for example, most "frozen veggie mixes" contain peppers) - but I just can't make myself like them. My mom was trying to tell me that well-prepared spinach isn't like "kindergarten spinach" (a culinary trauma for many Polish children, it seems), but I didn't like it either. :(

I also never use alcohol in any dishes (for example risotto). I hate the taste and also feel a lot of contempt for alcohol as a psychoactive substance whenever I can see or hear drunk people. I'm not fundamentally anti-drug, but I consider alcohol a drug which only stupefies and doesn't give anything valuable. At least for someone who, like me, is not very sociable and hates parties.

Of other things adults "should" like, I never enjoyed coffee. On the contrary, I can't stand its taste. So also no coffee-containing desserts for me.

You weren’t kidding about being picky lol

Anthracite_Impreza

Vegetarian who hates vegetables. And actually most things. It's quicker to just say what I can eat than what I can't.

I was a vegan for a couple months up until a few days ago. I just couldn’t do it anymore, and I was tired of having to research everything I ate to make sure there wasn’t some random animal ingredient in it. That said I’ll probably still try to eat less animal products. For example I actually like vegan mayonnaise better than real mayonnaise, and I’ve found that ice cream made from coconut milk doesn’t really taste any different from dairy ice cream.

firewallflower

Vegetarian (mostly but not fully vegan), avoids refined flour/sugar/processed foods as much as possible, and kosher into the bargain. So, yeah—generally speaking, I just can't eat anything anywhere except home and a few select vegetarian restaurants (not that I'm currently going anywhere anyway). 🤷‍♀️

GingerRose

I am a pescatarian.

Rarely I do need to eat some chicken, but only when my vitamin deficiency issue acts up.

Skycaptain

Omnivore, but with a couple of health induced restrictions (T2 diabetes and lactose intolerance) so no dairy, sugary pop, 

@timewarp@. Beerivore isn't correct 😋😋

Grumpy Alien

I’ve been a vegetarian for nearly 20 years - since I was 9.

J. van Deijck

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like my eating habits kind of fall into the meat reducer category. It has nothing to do with life philosophy or whatever, I'm just not a big fan of meat taste-wise. I find veggies much more tasty. I still gladly eat eggs, dairy etc., and if I actually happen to eat meat, I choose fish or chicken. I'm not a big fan of any other meat, with some exceptions.

My current diet is no carbs, which requires a lot of protein. It is an effective diet.

I'd really prefer to eat less meat, but it is the cheapest and most effective option. I don't have much of a choice at the moment.

SpaceDustbin

Omnivore, trying to keep meat limited. And loads of restrictions on the side - my (birch) pollen allergy has gone haywire, so I have a cross allergy for a lot of fruits and vegetables

Alejandrogynous

I picked meat reducer. I spent last summer keeping to an (almost) strictly vegan diet as an experiment to see if I could do it and if my health improved, and I learned a lot. Now I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I eat significantly less meat and dairy than I did before. The only thing I haven't really cut back on is eggs for health reasons.  

I'm a picky eater. :P

But seriously, the range of foods I like is limited. I don't think I could manage a vegan or vegetarian diet. I don't eat a lot of meat, and will go days and weeks without eating any. I do love cheese, and various dishes that have some meat. But I have also found some meat substitutes (not tofu! but things like "beyond meat" and impossible burgers) can be good alternatives. I'd be fine with cutting out most meat almost entirely (maybe bacon once in a while or real fish and seafood) as long as I had access to reasonably priced plant-based alternatives that tasted good enough.

I guess that makes me a meat reducer.

J. van Deijck
5 hours ago, daveb said:

But I have also found some meat substitutes (not tofu! but things like "beyond meat and impossible burgers) can be good alternatives.

Now I am curious what it is :D

11 hours ago, SpaceDustbin said:

Omnivore, trying to keep meat limited. And loads of restrictions on the side - my (birch) pollen allergy has gone haywire, so I have a cross allergy for a lot of fruits and vegetables

That's tough :( I am allergic to hazelnuts, thankfully it's not severe. I have symptoms mostly from my throat and stomach. I'm also allergic to the blooms of common hazel. There used to be a lot of these where I used to live as a kid and they were affecting my life since I remember. <_< cross allergies are even worse, though. 

48 minutes ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

Now I am curious what it is :D

Beyond Meat Burger is a vegan burger made of pea protein and when cooked well, it tastes almost like real meat (as in cow meat).

They have more products that imitate meat products available in many countires. This is their website for more info: https://www.beyondmeat.com/

Meat reducer is tempting option but it was not conscious, certainly reduced meat consumption since I moved out of my parents but it was not consciously done

6 hours ago, Rontz said:

Beyond Meat Burger is a vegan burger made of pea protein and when cooked well, it tastes almost like real meat (as in cow meat).

They have more products that imitate meat products available in many countires. This is their website for more info: https://www.beyondmeat.com/

Yeah, it's funny. I do not like peas, but "beyond meat" is enough like ground beef in texture, consistency, taste and such that it seems to work fine in things like meat sauce for pasta or in enchiladas. Impossible burgers are a different plant-based protein meat (soy, but not tofu). I've only had an "impossible burger" once, as a burger with bun and condiments. I would not have guessed it was plant-based if I hadn't known. If people don't eat beef because they don't like the taste/texture of it then they probably won't like these options either, but I'd say they are good for people who want to cut back on meat even though they do like the taste/texture.

Alejandrogynous
4 hours ago, daveb said:

Yeah, it's funny. I do not like peas, but "beyond meat" is enough like ground beef in texture, consistency, taste and such that it seems to work fine in things like meat sauce for pasta or in enchiladas. Impossible burgers are a different plant-based protein meat (soy, but not tofu). I've only had an "impossible burger" once, as a burger with bun and condiments. I would not have guessed it was plant-based if I hadn't known. If people don't eat beef because they don't like the taste/texture of it then they probably won't like these options either, but I'd say they are good for people who want to cut back on meat even though they do like the taste/texture.

Yeah, I've had the Impossible Burger a few times and it's satisfying in a gross kinda way, but that's what I want out of a greasy burger anyway so it works. The texture is pretty close. I haven't tried Beyond Meat yet but I'm curious about cooking with it. I do decently with making beef substitutes out of tofu/beans/quinoa/etc. but some dishes just need the real thing. That's when I'll use real meat (especially if it's an expensive recipe, if I'm going all out then I'm going to go all out), but it would be nice to find a happy medium there. I still wouldn't eat it too often since it's still processed as hell but it's cool that it exists.

22 minutes ago, Alejandrogynous said:

Yeah, I've had the Impossible Burger a few times and it's satisfying in a gross kinda way, but that's what I want out of a greasy burger anyway so it works. The texture is pretty close. I haven't tried Beyond Meat yet but I'm curious about cooking with it. I do decently with making beef substitutes out of tofu/beans/quinoa/etc. but some dishes just need the real thing. That's when I'll use real meat (especially if it's an expensive recipe, if I'm going all out then I'm going to go all out), but it would be nice to find a happy medium there. I still wouldn't eat it too often since it's still processed as hell but it's cool that it exists.

If you (or other users here) want some recommendations or recipes, I'm here to help, or just to chat with in general 😄

19 hours ago, daveb said:

I'm a picky eater. :P

But seriously, the range of foods I like is limited. I don't think I could manage a vegan or vegetarian diet.

Hello fellow picky eater. Being a vegetarian is tricky sometimes. At home it's easy enough but when out and about, a lot of menu items I'm able to eat as a vegetarian, I'm unwilling to eat because of ingredients I don't like. It's a long list. Onions for example. HATE them and they're in so many things.

I don't think I could ever be vegan. My options are limited enough as a picky vegetarian. 😄

Definitely omnivore, although I do have food triggers and follow a somewhat kosher-style diet. No pork or shellfish. Triggers for me (I have colitis) are things like corn, summer sausage, many raw and not peeled vegetables (if cooked well and peeled, often they’re ok), a lot of whole nuts, etc. Calming foods for me are dairy (oddly), vegetable soups, mashed potatoes, fish, oatmeal, chicken, and more. I do try to stay away from things like soda. Mostly just drink water or tea. I don’t think I could restrict or change my diet more than I already have. Especially now with fighting cancer on top of everything. 

ace bookdragon

I guess I'm an omnivore, but I do try to stay away from unethically produced meats. 

I have to eat gluten free, unfortunately; I'm not fond of that, but I'm much less fond of being sick all the time...

Other than that, I apparently eat a lot less meat than most people (and I'm not terribly fond of much of it) which has led a lot of people to assume I'm a vegetarian, but I'm not. I don't eat fish or seafood, but that's just because I can't stand the way it tastes.

Archived