College/University

GingerRose

GingerRose
8 hours ago, Alawyn-Aebt said:

international relations

Great!

I wish you the best in helping changing the relations for the better!

GingerRose
5 hours ago, CajunAce said:

I was in university for a bit, but I've taken this year off to work in Americorps NCCC (a 10 month long gov runned community service program)

How is Americorps? I have thought about joining. I just went to a presentation about peacecorps but I can't do the long distance right now. We can talk over message if you would like.

I graduated 6 years ago with a Bachelor’s in Business/Finance.

This summer term I started with the Master of science in crop science with focus on ecology and resource conservation. Before that I studied argiculture with focus on botany. And before that I studied physics but I didn't finish it. But it still was worth it because a lot of the math stuff is useful right now for ecosystem modelling or for applied machine learning with Python.

• 2 months later...
BodhranBace

will be a freshman studying instrument repair.

update, I am now a freshman studying stringed instrument repair, I have been so for 1 week exactly, and I am also exhausted.

I love it though. really it is so much fun. but why am I so tired.🛏️😴 it isn't even intensive yet!

• 3 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I only attend language school for adults now.

I am. 

Metallurgy, mineral extraction and engineering.

*MapleSyrup*

I just graduated with a diploma for Film & Television, but am planning to continue into a post grad Advanced Film making course once things get less crazy with COVID 

On 8/20/2020 at 9:10 PM, *MapleSyrup* said:

I just graduated with a diploma for Film & Television, but am planning to continue into a post grad Advanced Film making course once things get less crazy with COVID 

WOO HOOO CONGRATS! CELEBRATE!

About to return to University, getting a master degree in history of religion, took a bit of a break after getting my undergraduate degree in history, but looking forward to learning again

5 hours ago, Zhev said:

history of religion

Awesome! Do you belong to a certain religion yourself?

Not really, I was brought up in the Mormon church, but during my time at uni decided to leave it, so I have some remnants of that probably, but wouldn't say I'm religous, I just enjoy learning about religions, especially early ones, like Old Norse mythology or Celtic mythology

9 hours ago, Zhev said:

I just enjoy learning about religions,

Same here! I enjoy it as a side interest of diversity and knowledge & because I'm trying to form my own beliefs. I've yet to study Norse interest besides Druidry. The three I had studied the most are Druidry, Islam, and Jainism.

Political studies but I'm about to drop out and start art school in a few days.

(and technically that art school isn't university or college. But you US folks have no equivalent to my kind of education so yea XD)

Grumpy Alien

I never did any higher education.

I work in a university! Librarian and teaching.

Going to go back to being a student within the next few years to do a phd though.

1 minute ago, StrangeDruid said:

Yay Anthropology! I just finished my BA with a double major in Anthro and Environmental Studies. I hope you enjoy the the wondrous and highly varied world of the social sciences :) 

I mainly argue with it XD always looking for a fight 

1 minute ago, StrangeDruid said:

I mainly use my degree to drop weird cultural facts on people at unsuspecting moments.

I took subjects I wouldnt fall asleep in xD Anthro keeps the spirit fighting 

RoseGoesToYale

I got my bachelors in sociociology in 2018. Currently going to the local community college for an associates degree in IT.

On 8/25/2020 at 4:30 PM, Artila said:

Political studies but I'm about to drop out and start art school in a few days.

(and technically that art school isn't university or college. But you US folks have no equivalent to my kind of education so yea XD)

cheers to you for doing that!  till death we do art....

I want to go in a few years. money first though.

• 3 months later...
Blue eyes white dragon

I'm in second year at my local community college working on an associate's degree in general science before transferring to the main branch. There I will be getting a bachelor degree in Anthropology, with a focus on Archaeology. I absolutely hate it and I can feel my self dying inside every semester, but apparently in order to have a stable life you need a job and at least a bachelor degree. It's hard cuz I'm a free spirit that wants to do things my own way and explore the world. But at least I get so much financial aid because my family is so poor that I can save money up. 

• 1 month later...

In my second year of a physics BS. Love most of my classes but I have discovered none of the chemistry teachers are helpful at all and YouTube is a better teacher. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at uni too, for a few more months at least.

I'm going to school now,  trying to get my undergraduate. It is really hard! I am studying Art History, with minors in Museum studies , Philosophy and Religion. But really just love learning about everything I can! 

J. van Deijck
On 8/26/2020 at 12:10 AM, Kimchi Peanut said:

I never did any higher education.

Just asking out of curiosity, how did you do your job? I'm not familiar with US education whatsoever, but in most of European countries, if not all, you need to finish university to do it.

3 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

Just asking out of curiosity, how did you do your job? I'm not familiar with US education whatsoever, but in most of European countries, if not all, you need to finish university to do it.

A problem I’m now encountering!

In the US, I just had a high school diploma. There’s nothing below that. If you don’t have a high school diploma or GED (equivalent for those who didn’t graduate high school at 18), you don’t have anything. At 18, I started working as a receptionist at a hospital. None of my coworkers had degrees and it was minimum wage. In fact, one of my coworkers was entirely volunteer. My manager felt I could do more so she trained me as her secretary and I became a patient advocate. I did a lot of listening to patients’ concerns and compiling complaints and compliments into a database to see what we were doing well and what needed improvement or disciplinary action. I did that for 4 years and when neurology couldn’t find anyone for a tech position, they started asking around the hospital for any interest by word of mouth. I jumped at the chance to become clinical so they arranged for me to shadow the supervisor for a day. He was impressed with me and asked the director to offer me the job. It was entirely on-the-job training. I spent a few weeks just watching EEGs being done and studying/practicing in the office. Whenever there was a non urgent coma patient on a quiet day, I would be the tech until I got the hang of it. I eventually trained other staff. The thing with neurophysiology is that it’s a specialty within a specialty. Not all neurologists are epileptologists and can read EEGs. I also worked with some intensivists (ICU physicians) who could read EEGs. You can’t go to university and study neurology and be ready to do EEGs. You’d need the same on-the-job training. If you did have some sort of university degree having studied neurosciences, you’d be overqualified for the position and would be better suited doing something with a broader scope and more responsibility. There IS a certification you can do for EEG techs... it’s a year of online schooling. It’s not university or even equivalent. There’s only like 2 or 3 courses out there that are accredited and some of them are SHIT. Riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes and glitches and entirely self taught. The one that isn’t shit is HARD AS FUCK. It teaches you loads that just isn’t relevant in the job. You have to be employed as an EEG tech to do these courses - it’s basically an apprenticeship and you have to be learning the hands-on stuff for real with proof and signatures from your supervisors to prove you can actually do it. You need to have examples of your own patient in status epilepticus or a neonatal patient, for example. The year of entirely or mostly self-taught online courses runs at an average cost of $14,000. Finishing the course does NOT get you certification. You have to pass a separate board examination which costs a couple thousand and has a very low pass rate. (It’s so hard to pass that a very high percentage of people who take it fail despite studying and experience.) The only difference the $16,000+ certification gets you is a higher income. Because EEGs are niche and tedious and can be in high-stress environments, the starting salary is already very good. There aren’t many certified EEG techs in the US. There are hundreds to thousands at best and that’s not to say all of them are still working as an EEG tech. Because the certification is a pain in the ass to get, it isn’t worth it or affordable to most. No one at my hospital was actually certified. 

Now that I’m in England... My high school diploma might as well be a scrap of toilet paper. It’s only barely and technically equivalent to GCSEs so on paper, it’s like I’m 16. Except my diploma doesn’t state any subjects or grades. It’s just a piece of paper saying “Congratulations, you’ve completed mandatory education.” It’s meaningless here. There are only two positions I’ve found that will hire me here and I’ve tried both. I was a carer at a care home briefly wiping butts and spoon feeding old people and now I work in retail selling pet food and stocking shelves while my soul withers away into just a crusty black sliver. 

So yeah. The US education system is very different from European education systems and it’s also shit.

35 minutes ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

So yeah. The US education system is very different from European education systems and it’s also shit.

This reminds me of a thing where years ago, my grandmother on the American side knew that i didn't finish high school, so every now and again she'd sorta hassle me to do it, even though, at the time I mentioned it doesn't really necessarily mean anything here.

J. van Deijck
8 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

I see, the difference is huge. And here even having the university degree is not a guarantee for finding a job in your profession, so I imagine it must be hard for you. Thanks forvsgaring your story.

Isn't there a possibility to attend an additional course for adults, just to get the paper and be able to do the job? Sometimes it's an option and for that you don't need university or whatever. This is how I got my electrician job and it's as valid as a diploma :D

Archived