Asexuality in fanfiction

henshin

Hi all

A graduate student from Ohio State University is researching asexuality in fanfiction and is inviting people to take part in a survey and potentially be selected for a follow up interview over video chat. 

This study is only open to participants aged 18 and over. 

Access the questionnaire here: https://forms.gle/6FunzvkthFeh3pie7

This request has been approved by the Research Approval Board

Lisa Smith

Done. As someone who writes I wanted to share what I've been told when submitting YA Fiction - If I don't include sex I'm told I'm 'ripping off Twilight' or it's 'unbelievable' or 'not realistic' It's ridiculous x

Finally, I can tell someone other than my SO how much I LOVE fanfiction, lol.

Edit - in fact, I learned about asexuality through Sherlock fanfiction.  Before then I had no clue there was a term to describe how I felt.

One of my original characters, Emilia Ilena Thompson, is ace-aro. She still has a lot of love to give, but none of it is romantic. She exists in a world that hangs between Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. Most people think she's evil, as she is the daughter of the godly embodiment of night.

• 2 weeks later...
I'mTheDecoy

What do they mean by 'Asexuality is a fairly new sexual orientation'? I presume they mean that the term itself is new because the orientation has presumably always existed? 

On 5/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, I'mTheDecoy said:

What do they mean by 'Asexuality is a fairly new sexual orientation'? I presume they mean that the term itself is new because the orientation has presumably always existed? 

Yes I believe this is the case. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 8:19 AM, I'mTheDecoy said:

Hi there! This is my study so I'm happy to answer this. I use "fairly new sexual orientation" as a shorthand because most of the academic faculty I interact with (who have the power to approve or refuse my research) are unfamiliar with asexuality as an orientation, let alone as a community/communities of people organizing under shared language. Phrasing it this way has been the easiest way to make the "why does your work matter" argument without needing to repeatedly fight academic ignorance around asexuality just to be allowed to do the research I wanted to do.

I mean I've got a aro/ace character that's got asperger's and is overall done with everyone's shit. She's also ready to thrown down when and where ever. 

I have three aro/ace characters. One is a witch with dyslexia, one cries diamonds and is an insomniac, and one is the literal embodiment of night, dyslexic and ADHD. They all have friends and personalities. They all have a sense of humor. They're all perfectly normal where they're from.

Helen, the witch, lives in the forest, has a pet gremlin, and curses like a sailor when no one's around.

Tamami, the one who cries diamonds, will punch you in the face if you approach her before coffee.

Emilia, the dyslexic, ADHD one, is a demigod who dual wields meat cleavers in battle. Needless to say, she's spilled a lot of blood.

On 6/8/2020 at 11:01 AM, Dirty gremlin named Em said:

I have three aro/ace characters. One is a witch with dyslexia, one cries diamonds and is an insomniac, and one is the literal embodiment of night, dyslexic and ADHD. They all have friends and personalities. They all have a sense of humor. They're all perfectly normal where they're from.

Helen, the witch, lives in the forest, has a pet gremlin, and curses like a sailor when no one's around.

Tamami, the one who cries diamonds, will punch you in the face if you approach her before coffee.

Emilia, the dyslexic, ADHD one, is a demigod who dual wields meat cleavers in battle. Needless to say, she's spilled a lot of blood.

Beautiful. They literally all sound so much like Holly. 

Art of Matt Eldritch

The only fanfic with asexuality I can remember is this one My Little Pony fic with Rainbow Dash as ace and Twilight as bi.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:37 AM, KrysLostInSpace said:

Beautiful. They literally all sound so much like Holly. 

Why, thank you.

I don't know why, but I have a history of making unlikable, aroace badasses as main characters. Tamami was born into a rich family and was taught martial arts as soon as she could walk. She has anger issues and astronomical standards.

Emilia is a sarcastic little crap who punched her sister for existing and split a hellhound's skull open. She's also friends with the resident mom friend.

Helen looks like a fluffy little squish. She isn't. She may love animals and have a cottagecore theme, but she also curses like a drunk sailor and fantasizes about stabbing her enemies.

• 1 year later...
On 6/8/2020 at 12:01 PM, Fig/Coby. Am goblin said:

One cries diamonds and is an insomniac

This sounds like a particularly painful combination

Archived