Why are you here?

cato

On 5/13/2020 at 10:52 AM, HikaruBG said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, it's kind of weird. I mean, yes, you are right, it's the same interests (say, like we like the same video game) but there still would be a difference between what I'm focusing on and what they are focusing on.

For example, I would be focusing on things like the lore, the story, the world building while they would be focusing on the characters for example... and with the cases where there are female characters and maybe fanservice, it can be downright creepy at times. I tend to cringe a lot for that reason whenever I visit the fandom.

Don't get me wrong, it's like I don't like the characters themselves (I do) but the thing is, in my case it's nowhere near on that level. The characters aren't the main reason why I like the product.

I think you might be somewhat right. I love characters, damn I cosplay, characters are actual life inspirations to me, I love shipping too personally but it feel like some of it is learned behavior ; I'm drawn to complex relationships between characters, characters that are out of the box or inspirational in some way, ... but yeah I definitely feel that my attachment is less "personal" than most peoples in most cases... I am, in fact, much more often drawn to the aesthetic or semiotics of things/series/etc. Which is probably why I enjoyed reviewing - and reading reviews - anime for so long, too. Also, maybe why I sometimes feel like I am more obsessed than other people even though I may have watched far less series. I feel like I delve deeper, not so much in a "oh I like philosophical series!" way (...not always, uh... but in a "I actually wrote in all seriousness an essay on why I think K-On! is feminist while most people probably rolled their eyes and said why are you THINKING about THAT" way. Not sure if that's related to asexuality in any way or I am just far too dumb for humankind. 

• 2 weeks later...

I first stayed because I found people who understand exactly what I am feeling in a way nobody else has. Thanks @Whore*of*Mensa and others who welcomed me.  Then I found people like @CBC who gave me a good perspective about sexual people.  I am wiser than ever before 😃

Joined trying to figure myself out (ultimately going full circle but whatever!), stayed because I find sexuality fascinating and its the only place I feel comfortable talking about it and my own preferences

Also

brbdogsonfire

I'm here so I can try to better understand issues asexuals deal with so I can be a bettee partner for Sithempress. Getting information from other asexuals helps me know things I should avoid and things I can discuss with her to make sure our boundaries are respected even if those boundaries are not clear.

After discovering my orientation, I kept searching about asexuality and found AVEN one day because of the #asexualproblems topic.

I read through this whole topic because I could relate to it so much and at the same time, it was fun to read.

I wanted to post my problems too so I joined this forum.

I stayed to talk to people who are feel similar and play games with them.

I made a few friends too but keeping in touch is quite hard so I no longer seek for friendship here.

After graduating high school, I left this forum because there was nothing to say for me anymore and neither did I have the time.

But after a few months, I came back out of loneliness and things weren't going well in real life.

I realized AVEN is my second home, a place where I always can return to and talk with people.

That's why I stay here. it's been 5 years now, almost 6. I was 15 when I joined AVEN.

I discovered I was asexual about a year ago and aromantic a few months after. I get tired of hiding who I am to people. I’ve thought about coming out to people but it is scary, especially with the thought of being rejected or my identity dismissed. No one I know is aspec and I wanted to have a community where I feel comfortable to be myself, and eventually be comfortable to be who I am in real life.

Archived