New Moderator Needed: World Watch & Alternate Language: Nominations

Kelly

Join the team!

If you think you would be interested in being the new World Watch & Alternate Language Moderator, throw cookies, cakes, your hat, turnip, or whatever you have into the ring. Just be sure to make it clear that you wish to run.

Eligibility requirements include being a member for at least 6 months, and having at least 100 posts that are not in the Just for Fun or Welcome Lounge forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning. You may run for only one election at a time.

Also, see the following for election rules:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/90514-rules-and-procedure-for-elections/

Voting will be by a vote of confidence. A bio is required to be PMed to me by voting time.

This is the timeline for this election:

Thursday, 7 May to Thursday, 14 May: Nominations.

Thursday, 14 May to Sunday, 17 May: Dedicated Q&A period.

Sunday, 17 May to Sunday, 24 May: Voting.

May I just point out that @Homer did an amazing job. Whatever the reasons he left, those are some big, big shoes to fill.

It wasn't me, it was the G**gle alert :D

Snao Cone

The gargle alert? I don't get it. Did a siren go off that told you to gargle water every time an article about asexuality was published? 

14 minutes ago, Snao Cone (me) said:

The gargle alert? I don't get it. Did a siren go off that told you to gargle water every time an article about asexuality was published? 

Yes.

@Homer

I’m guessing neither of these forums get a lot of reports?

As a frequent lurker in Alternate Languages I know it’s a quiet forum, but one that I’ve always wanted to mod.

In World Watch is a large part of the role organising and listing? Or do you actually go out and find resources too?

@Homer

Also appreciate your thoughts on whether modding these forums is, on average, less than 1 hour, more than 1 hour or more than 2 hours per day.

2 hours ago, Iam9man said:

Zero work report-wise.

In World Watch is a large part of the role organising and listing? Or do you actually go out and find resources too?

I had this G**gle alert thingy which notified me of new articles about asexuality. Those need to be listed, but there's a YT video on how that works. The amount of articles varies a bit according to the season - 2019 had a huge spike in the run-up towards valentine's day but 2020 did not. Big stuff like World Pride leads to a lot of articles, too. Or when something new pops up, like a TV show with an asexual character. I expected something similar to happen before Giftmas, but it did not.

Sometimes you'll read an article about some new website or podcast or whatever that you've never heard about, so you'll go and check whether it's any good... but I never sat down and said "Today I'm going to hunt for new resources."

1 hour ago, Iam9man said:

Also appreciate your thoughts on whether modding these forums is, on average, less than 1 hour, more than 1 hour or more than 2 hours per day.

If you don't let the indexing part sit for days and days on end, you'll be done in 30mins tops.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:03 AM, Homer said:

I had this G**gle alert thingy which notified me of new articles about asexuality. Those need to be listed, but there's a YT video on how that works. The amount of articles varies a bit according to the season - 2019 had a huge spike in the run-up towards valentine's day but 2020 did not. Big stuff like World Pride leads to a lot of articles, too. Or when something new pops up, like a TV show with an asexual character. I expected something similar to happen before Giftmas, but it did not.

Did you do a level of quality control/checking or post links as they stand? I’m guessing all articles are easy (and interesting) to read but it would take a long time to watch all YouTube videos prior to posting the links?

32 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

Did you do a level of quality control/checking or post links as they stand? I’m guessing all articles are easy (and interesting) to read but it would take a long time to watch all YouTube videos prior to posting the links?

I actually didn't check Youtube that often. Most of the YT stuff came in as contributions by other AVENites as I don't really follow any asexual stuff on the web and searching "asexuality" mostly provided results from before the war.

Is there a particular reason why this isn't paired with the Welcome Lounge? :huh: 

46 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is there a particular reason why this isn't paired with the Welcome Lounge? :huh: 

Maybe to appeal to people who may not have as much time to dedicate to the role.

Whilst I was tempted by the previous (JFF/Arcade) election these current 3 positions all seem to have more realistic workloads, at least to me, and they all appeal to me for different reasons. Obviously I can only speak for myself. Respect to you for the workload you used to have though.

4 hours ago, Homer said:

I suggested pairing Welcome Lounge with Alt-Lang and and T&S with World Watch...I don't like the idea of three elections running at once. I think it would be better to pair them up so there are only two.

Skycaptain

Also, being fair, giving a newcomer three forums might be overwhelming and deter candidates 

9 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Also, being fair, giving a newcomer three forums might be overwhelming and deter candidates 

It would have deterred me for one. As it is, I’m thinking about it. Will report back 😊🐧

It would have deterred me for one. As it is, I’m thinking about it. Will report back 😊🐧

Please consider running! Alt-Lang usually doesn't have too much traffic. World Watch is pretty steady, from what I've seen, but if you ever need help, @scarletlatitude is a superhero archivist and has offered to help. :)

FaerieFate
On 5/8/2020 at 1:58 AM, Iam9man said:

@Homer

As a frequent lurker in Alternate Languages I know it’s a quiet forum, but one that I’ve always wanted to mod.

Most of the role is archiving the sources linked. It's not much work, and quite interesting some of the sources people find. I quite liked it, but it was a large workload on top of Q&A comod, which is what I always modded.

FaerieFate
14 hours ago, Homer said:

Admods don't usually combine 3 boards when planning elections. In fact they only combine 2 if they're both light like Alt Lang and World Watch. Otherwise it appears overwhelming. Best to just let people take 3 on their terms :)

FaerieFate
6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Also, every time 2 have been paired, it's always 1 I would do with 1 I wouldn't. Only exception was Q&A with WW, which was a high workload when combined.

Combining 3, we increase the chances of including a board people wouldn't want, which would either get them to not run, make decent people less likely to be elected because they're not a good fit for a board that requires a specific type, or increases the chance of a board being dumped the moment the person is elected. 

6 hours ago, ♣Ryan♣ said:

The Mandalorian Baby Yoda GIF - TheMandalorian BabyYoda Mando ...

I'll run

Yayyyyyy! :D

3 hours ago, Iam9man said:

I’ve always wanted to mod the Alternate Language Forum and I already spend a lot of time reading articles in World Watch, so I hereby throw my cuddly penguin into the ring: 🐧

Yay! :D

scarletlatitude
On 5/9/2020 at 6:57 PM, Leedle-Lee said:

Please consider running! Alt-Lang usually doesn't have too much traffic. World Watch is pretty steady, from what I've seen, but if you ever need help, @scarletlatitude is a superhero archivist and has offered to help. :)

I also used to be the mod of alt-lang (many moons ago) and it is a pretty tame forum. Both alt-lang and world watch are easy forums to start with. :) 

(Also ❤️ @Leedle-Lee :) ) 

FaerieFate
On 5/8/2020 at 4:03 AM, Homer said:

If you don't let the indexing part sit for days and days on end, you'll be done in 30mins tops.

You don't have a member that regularly info-dumped threads, did you? When I modded WW, I had this one member that'd make like 5 threads a day with 10 resources each. Like, I love all of the info, but why all at once? 

Not to mention they posted a lot of research articles. Like, that's cool, but it's REALLY hard to log those because the site you see the research article on always makes it as hard as possible to find things like publication date and publisher. You'd think they wouldn't because they want you to reference their resources, but it was so much easier when it was like "this one random site said asexuality once!" Because articles published had all of that in the top 3 lines of the page. 

I actually had to make a thread in WW just to ask people to please put all the data I need for archiving in their threads because I'd spend 10 minutes at a time hunting down that information on research articles. 

On 5/10/2020 at 8:14 AM, ♣Ryan♣ said:

The Mandalorian Baby Yoda GIF - TheMandalorian BabyYoda Mando ...

I'll run

Good luck! 😊

I’ve thought about this a lot and have decided to withdraw my nomination. I’ve always wanted to mod the Alternate Language Forum, but I’m not sure I have the time right now. Maybe next time 🐧😊

10 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

I’ve thought about this a lot and have decided to withdraw my nomination. I’ve always wanted to mod the Alternate Language Forum, but I’m not sure I have the time right now. Maybe next time 🐧😊

Awwww, that makes me sad, but I understand. Modding is a big commitment. Please keep it in your thoughts for the future, though!

*closes to start campaigns*

Archived