Cardboard cutout of Harry Styles

Stupsi

So it's my housemate's birthday soon and my other friend said we should get her a cardboard cutout of Harry Styles (because the concert that she meant to go to was cancelled). They're speaking of a cutout in his actual size, plus it's not just a joke to annoy her I think.. so I was wondering, if you admire a celebrity to the point that you want a real-sized picture of him, surely that has to be something like sexual attraction? Do you think it is? 

I would never want a cardboard cutout of anyone in my room, but I can see that many people who do experience sexual attraction, probably wouldn't either. But generally speaking, when people are really obsessed with certain celebrities, is that sexual attraction? 

Skycaptain

I'd say possibly some form of attraction, but it needn't be sexual attraction. Is it any different from someone who has a massive collection of something, though? 

Infatuation doesn't have to be sexual.  I'd take a cardboard cutout of many of my favorite characters, even if there's nothing sexual about my interest in them.  Otherwise why would people have cardboard cutouts of Darth Vader or Bernie Sanders?

1 hour ago, Memento1 said:

Otherwise why would people have cardboard cutouts of Darth Vader or Bernie Sanders?

Okay, fair point! :) 

Anthracite_Impreza

... no? You never heard of a fanboy/fangirl?

Janus the Fox

A powerful admiration of a person of interest can make an infatuated person do some unusual things.  It might just be that and that person would only know the motivation for such a cut-out.

My neighbors used to have a cardboard cutout of Edward Cullen that stood at their window.  It startled me every time I walked past.

At my old workplace they had a cardboard cutout of the president of the company (originally for an event so people could get their picture taken with it, for whatever reason - people are odd :lol: ). It started turning up in various places around work, occasionally startling people.

Salmiakki

If I had a cardboard cutout of Jung Jaehyun in my room it would probably make me feel so shy and embarrassed that I would have no choice but to hide him in the clothes room

Classic teenage girl moment when you’re in your room fooling around with a boy and then your parents come home and you make him hide in the closet so your parents won’t find out that you have a boy in your room

Not that I would kiss the cardboard or anything

Cause that would be weird

And in case anyone was wondering, I totally have not bought pillows with photos of celebrities on them and I totally have not kissed them. Cause that would be weird

A few years ago, my friend and I printed a poster of our friend's boyfriend and made her sister secretly hang it up in her room 😂 it made her jump when she saw it haha 

I felt a bit sorry for the guy though, he didn't even know us at that point and we just printed this massive selfie of him 

Alejandrogynous

I don't know your friends but I imagine it's meant to be a joke, not to annoy her but to have a laugh and make her feel better for missing the concert. Would you also be wondering this if they wanted to get her a really big poster?

Fangirl/boying over celebrities is just fun, it doesn't have to be sexual.

22 hours ago, CBC said:

Ok that's way weirder than the Harry Styles cutout. 😶

Well.. I agree! Haha 

22 hours ago, Alejandrogynous said:

Would you also be wondering this if they wanted to get her a really big poster?

I'm not sure.. potentially? I feel like a cardboard cutout is a bit different because it's a bit more like having the actual person in your room 

• 1 month later...
UndertaleGirl

I don't find it weird. Fanboys and fangirls are a thing. I have plushies of characters from stuff I like (it is similar). I have a buddy who has a life-sized cardboard cutout of Brendon Urie! I fear no man, but that thing (cardboard cutout), it scares me. Whenever I see it I almost think it's actually him, so creepy!

eeyore_fan121

When I was a teenager I had posters of One Direction all over my room but I didn't want to bang any of them, I was a big fan! I think it can mean an attraction, because I used to find several of them handsome, but I believe theres a difference between thinking someone is handsome and wanting to sleep with them. 

On 5/7/2020 at 2:37 PM, Stupsi said:

So it's my housemate's birthday soon and my other friend said we should get her a cardboard cutout of Harry Styles (because the concert that she meant to go to was cancelled). They're speaking of a cutout in his actual size, plus it's not just a joke to annoy her I think.. so I was wondering, if you admire a celebrity to the point that you want a real-sized picture of him, surely that has to be something like sexual attraction? Do you think it is? 

I would never want a cardboard cutout of anyone in my room, but I can see that many people who do experience sexual attraction, probably wouldn't either. But generally speaking, when people are really obsessed with certain celebrities, is that sexual attraction? 

Sometimes it's... for fun? I used to do that kind of thing as a joke to show to my friends and be like "I'M A GROUPIE, LMAOOOOO" when I actually wasn't

It's really random.

UndertaleGirl
On 6/16/2020 at 3:40 PM, eeyore_fan121 said:

When I was a teenager I had posters of One Direction all over my room but I didn't want to bang any of them, I was a big fan! I think it can mean an attraction, because I used to find several of them handsome, but I believe theres a difference between thinking someone is handsome and wanting to sleep with them. 

I have a poster of a fictional band from a video game and I find them cute. I am not sexually attracted to the two sister-cousins in any way, shape, or form.

Archived