Favorite mythological deity?

Crazycrazycultist

1 hour ago, Drusha said:

And the price he paid for it as well. An eye for a sip of the well or pool of knowledge. And perhaps more as well. One thing about the Norse gods is that they fit the environment. Not quite for humans but not against them. But more for them then against them. And amazingly then enough with eternal youth but not immortality. It is a rare god in lore that is killed and rarer still that the entire tribe can be to the point it is preordained. And they have as many failings as humans and sometimes even wider blind spots. 

This is why I like the Norse pantheon so much more than the Greco-Roman pantheon.

2 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

All that infighting between Catholics and Protestants did hang around for a long time. Wouldn't be surprised if it did still cause a bit of tension in some places.

I was thinking pre-Protestant times. The Cathars especially, but also others considered heretical by the church, as well as Jews and, later, Muslims. The Protestants brought their own level of pain to the playing field and were just as ruthless once in power.

Skycaptain
7 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

All that infighting between Catholics and Protestants did hang around for a long time. Wouldn't be surprised if it did still cause a bit of tension in some places.

I give you Northern Ireland up to the 1998 peace accord, and any Rangers Celtic football match to this day 

Crazycrazycultist
23 hours ago, Drusha said:

And the price he paid for it as well. An eye for a sip of the well or pool of knowledge. And perhaps more as well. One thing about the Norse gods is that they fit the environment. Not quite for humans but not against them. But more for them then against them. And amazingly then enough with eternal youth but not immortality. It is a rare god in lore that is killed and rarer still that the entire tribe can be to the point it is preordained. And they have as many failings as humans and sometimes even wider blind spots. 

I forgot that part! But, Norse Mythology is fun!

7 hours ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

I forgot that part! But, Norse Mythology is fun!

It is. But what is amazing is in their lore you can also see it be the gods own actions that set up this for the end. What if they had not treated Loki’s children so poorly? What if they had kept their promise to Fenrir? Might he have been an ally rather then a mighty foe? Might as well as his sons also been allies? And perhaps his sibs? 

My fam are from Rajasthan

My favourite deities are Maa Durga and Maa Kali.

Hekate: Triple-form Goddess of Magic, witchcraft, the moon, night, crossroads, barriers/doors, and necromancy. She is regarded as on who straddles conventional boundaries and eludes definition

Artemis: Warrior goddess. She has forsaken romance and marriage and swore to remain a maiden - so she's basically an aroace :)

Lucifer: As a lapsed Catholic, I dig his anti-authority vibe and feel he represents speaking truth to power

Nyx: Greek primordial goddess of night. She's the mother of pretty much every disgusting curse in existence and I hold her in high regard for that.

Hermaphroditus: The Greek god of intersex/non-binary people. I think you know why he's gained my respect.

Dionysus: The Greek god of wine and parties. He's also the patron god of transgender and gay youth due to his upbringing.

Terpsichore: Greek goddess of music, song and dance. I am a singer/songwriter, so she's a very important goddess to me, as mythical beings go.

Crazycrazycultist
On 5/12/2020 at 3:15 AM, Drusha said:

It is. But what is amazing is in their lore you can also see it be the gods own actions that set up this for the end. What if they had not treated Loki’s children so poorly? What if they had kept their promise to Fenrir? Might he have been an ally rather then a mighty foe? Might as well as his sons also been allies? And perhaps his sibs? 

I love the creation story for Norse Mythology! It's so weird and surreal!

Crazycrazycultist
On 5/11/2020 at 4:23 AM, Arodash said:

Does my kitten count as a mythological deity???

What are your Kitten's powers?

Crazycrazycultist
23 hours ago, Arodash said:

Adorableness.

Aw!

Skycaptain
On 5/14/2020 at 1:13 AM, Crazycrazycultist said:

To bend hoomans to their will at all times 

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:
On 5/13/2020 at 6:13 PM, Crazycrazycultist said:

To bend hoomans to their will at all times 

Adult cats are good at that too!

Twisted Tempest

Tyr. Hands down the best Aesir, though Baldur is pretty cool too. 

Second favourite is Horus, my main bird man with the eye that sees all! Wisdom is his power and there is nothing in the world that gets by him without him knowing. 

Twisted Tempest
On 5/10/2020 at 7:56 AM, Arodash said:

Talos. And the Dominion can Try and stop me from worshipping him!!!

Love the Elder Scrolls.  ;)

Also fun fact- there is a figure named Talos in Greek mythology which is not a god, but a colossal bronze statue which protected the isle of Crete from all kinds of threats. 

AceAnimeFan

I've always liked Hades, Loki, and Anubis, and for a more recent mythology, Lucifer/Satan. Also Athena and Horus

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty
On 5/11/2020 at 5:35 AM, DarkGloomSquid said:

Anubis cause I feel like having tea with him would be tranquil

That sounds like fun to me.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:22 AM, Twisted Tempest said:

Tyr. Hands down the best Aesir, though Baldur is pretty cool too. 

Don’t you mean hand down the best? Hand...singular...I’ll show myself out lol

Crazycrazycultist
5 hours ago, LobsterCat said:

Definitely Loki and Bast.  

I like this one story where Loki get his mouth shut for a short period of time!

Asterion Orestes
On 5/10/2020 at 5:23 PM, fuzzipueo said:

Heck, the early church wasn't above murdering Christians who didn't follow the mainline doctrine as laid out by the pope and his cohort. Let's not get into the horrors of the crusades (on all sides) and the Inquisition.

"The early church" is a little historically vague. In 1054 the Eastern & Western churches formally separated, but we in the West tend to concentrate on "the pope and his cohort" & ignore the Orthodox. As for the Crusades & the Inquisition, the former were a limited incursion into the Islamic world, while the latter were a nasty aberration which also didn't appear till a millennium after Christ. I've noticed the two are often referred to as a pair, rather as a recent generation used to invoke "Watergate & Vietnam" as the greatest US flaws.

Of course it may be fun to blame ancient & medieval bishops...

Asterion Orestes

When it comes to classical Greco-Roman mythology, I'll admit to a preference for Athena/Minerva for reasons other have noted. Wish I could find a real woman like that.

Twisted Tempest
21 hours ago, Zosia said:

Don’t you mean hand down the best? Hand...singular...I’ll show myself out lol

Well, I laughed more than I should have, and now my sides are dead. 

LobsterCat
On 5/24/2020 at 10:03 PM, Crazycrazycultist said:

I like this one story where Loki get his mouth shut for a short period of time!

Same here!  I think Marvel showed that in the comics, they do draw from the myths occasionally. 

Archived