Favorite mythological deity?

Crazycrazycultist

Crazycrazycultist

I've been reading up on mythologies in order to at least get a little bit of inspiration for a fantasy universe I've been working on. Not to mention, it's just fun to read about. Which does kind of bring up this little tidbit.

There are some gods that are...weird. I mean, sure. The greek gods had Dionysus, a god who's basic job was to get constantly hammered. However, that's not the weirdest one. They had a god dedicated to stupidity. Which seems counterintuitive. Since, you know, gods are at least supposed to be somewhat inspiring.

So, who's your favorite mythological deity?! I'd love to know!

Scottthespy

Gods are not made to be inspiring. They are made to explain a world which the people of the time couldn't explain. The Greek pantheon is full of pointless random nonsense. Zeus has fathered hundreds of children, Kronos ate all his kids, Demeter throws a hissy fit every year when her daughter goes to stay with Hades...most of them are flawed in some way, but this is because the Greeks did not take their gods to be flawless beings, because they did not perceive the world those gods were used to explain as flawless. They saw the suffering and the randomness and said 'yea, our gods must be a bunch of drunken assholes'.

That said, of all mythology and all religion, I like Hades the best. The stories I've read paint him, in my eyes, as a guy who's just trying to do his damn job, a job no body else really wanted but that was kind of important. Maybe sometimes he's selfish, or rude, but who isn't, especially when they've got a lot of stress and expectations on them? He's always seemed unfairly put upon to me, just a decent guy with a lot of work and not so many friends. Except Disney Hades. Disney paints him as a fast talking charismatic villain, and I like fast talking charismatic villains too, so while he is #NotMyHades, he's alright in my books.

I like Athena, though I'm becoming more a fan of Hades over time. Also Loki, he's a fun dude to be around as long as he has no reason to fuck with you specifically. 

I was always a fan of Athena and Saraswati. I tend to prefer gods of knowledge and arts.

blunose2772

I had to do a report on Aries in high school and spent a ton of time researching him so he always sticks out in my mind. 

Satan. Seriously, he’s pretty awesome, and to think I used to hate his guts back when I was a Christian.

2 hours ago, Gloomy said:

Satan. Seriously, he’s pretty awesome, and to think I used to hate his guts back when I was a Christian.

It's also sorta cool now that Satanism is a thing, although there are a lot of atheists in certain circles.

3 minutes ago, Una Salus Victus said:

It's also sorta cool now that Satanism is a thing, although there are a lot of atheists in certain circles.

I feel like a lot of "Satanists" don't actually believe in anything and just join the group. I respect them too much to do that. I'm happy just being an atheist.

Crazycrazycultist
2 hours ago, Arodash said:

He is kinda cool. 

He is!

1 hour ago, Una Salus Victus said:

I don't know any form of Satanism which is actually religious, only the atheistic ones who hold up characters as symbols, not as actual people they prey to and worship. All Satanists I know do it as a middle finger to religion, to find community, because they stand for something, etc. Like the one group who put up a statue of the goat-devil thing next to the Ten Commandments when the people in a community were trying to dance around religious displays by saying any religion could do so (not expecting people to actually do it).

I think there was another post about an AVENite planning to join one of the Satan churches and explaining why. 

Crazycrazycultist
29 minutes ago, Arodash said:

But you know whos cooler! Jesus. Hes pretty rad kids! "Rock on kids" *in monotone voices teens respond* "rock on pastor Dave"

How cool is Jesus? He's got an entire Queen song dedicated to him!

https://youtu.be/z0J_kuTib1w

Guest Ca$hrina

Athena, Diana, Hekate, Sekhmet (a kind of Egyptian Athena), and last but not least, Lucifer.

What else... Jesus is pretty cool too. Jesus and Lucifer make a very interesting duality.

Interference

Hestia and Bastet. Hestia for her domain and Bastet because she's basically a cat goddess. also Sekhmet. 

i am a homebody and a cat lover, don't judge me. :P

Crazycrazycultist
On 5/7/2020 at 7:32 PM, Arodash said:

I like to imagine my Jesus on judgement day, ripped and shirtless with tatoos of the virgin mary that says "love ya mom" and he has two cherokee axes on his back and a shotgun shell bandolier accross his chest. He rides an oldschool Triumph motorcycle with a sawed off shotgun that he shoots demons with.

He has a boombox strapped to the bike and it just blasts the Doom soundtrack. 

That. That is how cool Jesus is. And he also spouts stuff about love as he tears demons apart

That'd be really cool!

DarkStormyKnight

ARTEMIS! Lovely aroace lady!

Crazycrazycultist
8 hours ago, DarkStormyKnight said:

ARTEMIS! Lovely aroace lady!

Oh yeah! I forgot about that!

N8ty L3asT

Aergia god of inactivity and Loki obvs. 😄

Crazycrazycultist
21 hours ago, Arodash said:

*being attacked by demons someome yells* "oh my god!" *when suddenly the demons head explodes and Jesus steps forward "you called child?"

Yeah!

Crazycrazycultist
21 minutes ago, N8LV3y said:

Aergia god of inactivity and Loki obvs. 😄

Oh yeah!

On 5/8/2020 at 9:38 AM, Arodash said:

I will boop Bastet's nose and accept all consequences of that.

I would not advise that. Bastet is also the goddess of war. And she is a cat goddess so she would likely take it quite personally. And tend you... slowly. 

I like Bastet as she is a female war goddess and of cats. What is not to love?

I love Loki because really he is amazing he gave birth to sleffneir, saves the gods and has brains. And can do just about anything. Hell is also interesting. And her brother Fenrir. 

for Greeks I go for Athens and Artimis. I also like Pan well enough. 

oh and don’t forget the Native American Coyote. Very like Loki there. 

the African spirit spider Anancii is also cool. 

You do know that in the Japanese there is a saying that a cat’s curse lasts seven generations. Boop her at your our risk. I tend to find it offends cats and cats are rarely smart to offend. They remember insults even if they ignore or forgive them. And war deities are not typically known to be forgiving. 

Lately I've been getting into the idea of Satan being a rebel against a tyrant, and that the only idea of him being "evil" is, as per usual, propaganda against such figures tars them as such.

Technically the way we picture satin is warped by Christian’s negative casting of pagan gods. The the horn could come from pan or Celtic gods quite easily. As does other beastial characteristics. It was all part of the Christian method of overtaking other religions. They first just tried to get the pages to worship in the church even if it was to pagan gods then they started the recasting of allying pagen god to demons and good things to God. Then they moved to take over significant pagan events and Christianize them. The story of Jesus born on Christmas for example. That was to Christianize a major pagen event. Same with Halloween and all saints day. It was all a systematic recasting to take over the hearts, minds, and memory associations of pagans dovetailed to Christian doctrine and teachings 

They did however drive it to the brink of extinction. And use Christianizing the pagans as cover for monstrous acts. 

AnOverthinkerAce

I might be late but still can contribute  I hope 😋

One of my favourite deities is Kwan Yin, closely related to Avalokitesvara, Bodhisattva of Mercy. There are many stories about her origin, but my favourite is this one: it is said that she was a Buddhist nun in Ancient China who elevetad to Nirvana through meditation. While she was about to cross to the other side, she heard a cry of pain and decided to resign her own ascent in order to dedicate her life to end suffering in the world. Thus, she was designated as the Goddess of Mercy in Asian pantheons, once she departed. 

12 hours ago, Drusha said:

They did however drive it to the brink of extinction. And use Christianizing the pagans as cover for monstrous acts. 

Heck, the early church wasn't above murdering Christians who didn't follow the mainline doctrine as laid out by the pope and his cohort. Let's not get into the horrors of the crusades (on all sides) and the Inquisition.

1 hour ago, fuzzipueo said:

Heck, the early church wasn't above murdering Christians who didn't follow the mainline doctrine as laid out by the pope and his cohort. Let's not get into the horrors of the crusades (on all sides) and the Inquisition.

All that infighting between Catholics and Protestants did hang around for a long time. Wouldn't be surprised if it did still cause a bit of tension in some places.

Crazycrazycultist
23 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

Odin.

He's so cool! I love how he wants knowledge!

3 minutes ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

He's so cool! I love how he wants knowledge!

And the price he paid for it as well. An eye for a sip of the well or pool of knowledge. And perhaps more as well. One thing about the Norse gods is that they fit the environment. Not quite for humans but not against them. But more for them then against them. And amazingly then enough with eternal youth but not immortality. It is a rare god in lore that is killed and rarer still that the entire tribe can be to the point it is preordained. And they have as many failings as humans and sometimes even wider blind spots. 

Archived