long term relationship?

myra

Hi all,

Does any of you, older asexuals, has a long term asexual relationship/marriage? I don't know couples in real life who have, but I see that some couples were formed here on AVEN, which is great.

My wish is to see an asexual relationship become as normal as any long term relationship. One can always dream isn't it... :)

Hi Myra

I personally haven't had such a relationship, but I havent tried for one.

I was engaged for 3 years. The engagement was great. Both being Christians, sex wasn't an issue. But She definately wanted kids once she was married. So, obviously, the relationship didnt last.

I too, have heard fo people on AVEN, having long term relationships, so maybe one or two of them will be able to post and give us their insights.

• 1 year later...
Hi all,

Does any of you, older asexuals, has a long term asexual relationship/marriage? I don't know couples in real life who have, but I see that some couples were formed here on AVEN, which is great.

My wish is to see an asexual relationship become as normal as any long term relationship. One can always dream isn't it... :)

I wish the same thing.

Guest disjointed

the golden chalice

For me a partner of the same level of Asexuality would be all my happy days in an instant.

Not to complete me but to share what I am and make use of what I have to offer

Until that day I will remain single, not unhappy, but not compramising either

The AVEN couples I've met (some of them I suppose, shorter-term) have been more in the age range (roughly, under 30) where forming couples is more of an expectation - not that that's the only reason why people do it, of course - and the "older" Avenites I've met have tended to be comfortably single.

Responding slightly to Ziffler, since of course not all asexuals on Aven remain virgins (as part of the way we cover a wide spectrum), some of the people on here in the appropriate age group still do want marriages with children, or love the children they already have, which makes sense to me, since wanting children is a quite different set of feelings from sexual attraction.

Before I waffle on here, do you mean asexual/asexual relationships, or asexual/sexual ones? Or both?

• 3 weeks later...
How long is long-term? Like months or years?

ha long term to me would be anything more than 3 weeks, thats about the length of time it always took before I was totally sick of the sight of the person. Even when my dad came to stay with me earlier this year by the 3rd week i was ready to shoot him...

sakura_alice

Oh, okay! Well, my ex boyfriend and I were together for two months, no sex but had some sleep overs. Those were great btw. It was nice to fall asleep in someone's arms and wake up with them still there. After we broke up, he e-mailed that he was glad we hadn't had sex (though his friends were confused about the whole thing), because he thought it might have ruined what we had. I couldn't reply to that because the thought of sex had never crossed my mind, and I was baffled (and disgusted) at the thought of it. I think that's about when I realized I was asexual, lol. Funny thing is, the break up had nothing to do with the no-sex factor, but I had broken up with him for various reasons. We still have a mutual friendship though.

Hi all,

You may know half a dozen asexual couples, they're just polite enough to not discuss their sex life with friends or the type who cover it up with stories and embellishment. You never really know if a couple is 'doing it' or not.

I think for awhile, the reason you'll find a lot of older asexuals who are single and childless are because they've gotten very used to being alone so a partner would infringe on their time and space. I'd like a partner but not a live in and not a clingy one. That seems to be the only option (well, there's not even THAT over here!) so I'd much rather be on my own.

As asexuality becomes more common and people are realising younger that they're normal asexuals, then there may be younger asexual couples. But don't expect to always know who they are.

Archived