I love talking to GSRM (LGBT) phobics

Minty greens

Minty greens

Does anyone else like it?
I'm never mad at the person, even when they say something outrageous, it only makes it more fun. I find their reasoning and topic points so interesting. Often the person can be talked into a middle ground or is very calm about it too. 
I wish people in real life would ask me some questions about being non-binary and asexual that I have had online, just because when I make a good point, it would be amazing to see their face. Especially for the conversation I had not long ago. The person said that everyone wants sex all the time and that it is weird if you didn't. My retort was "by that logic, there are a number of four-year-olds that want to sex you up" and then they basically said fair point and left. 

Rhyn Corinn

This sounds like the way one of my brothers argues with people on social media. (though not about the same subject). I've always liked to picture myself that way, but I've never actually been in a real argument with an acephobic person. There was one time I got into an argument online where I felt kind of attacked, but I wouldn't describe them as quite acephobic. It was exhausting and I just got tired of dealing with it in the end.

TBH part of me kind of hopes one of my followers of fanfiction.net will freak out or something when the ace headcanons in my story come along, if only to experience what you're describing. At the very least, arguing online would be much better than arguing in person, especially for me. I'm autistic and heated discussions overwhelm me, so I usually just freeze up even though I'm seething mad on the inside. But online, where you can potentially take as long as you want to respond, and have time to make your arguments as good as they can be? I could potentially like that. In my head, I argue with imaginary people (sometimes real people in imaginary scenarios) about this stuff, but I don't know if I'd be as good at irl or not...

I don't enjoy talking with them, no.

I do enjoy, however, watching them make fools of themselves on the internet.

It was a great hobby when I had low self-esteem - it helped me practice my logic and assertiveness and feel better about myself.  Eventually I discovered that the temporary high of feeling superior to others in the long run left me just as disconnected as feeling inferior to them.

I've never had to talk to one of those people, but I do kind of enjoy seeing those people make fools of themselves on the internet. Even then, I get pretty steamed, so I think if I had to counter it the whole thing would start and end with a fistfight. 

AceMissBehaving

I’ll be honest, while “enjoy” isn’t quite the right word,  when I have the mental health space to do so, I do get something out of taking on aphobes on The Outer Worlds Reddit community.

So of the shit has been more ignorance than anything else and I’ve had the odd person come around, which I’ll admit I did genuinely enjoy.

I don't respond well to dumb. I can get by without that in my life wherever possible. It just infuriates me and I internalize that. I let smarter people deal with them. I do kinda like watching people get demolished, though. THAT is satisfying.

WrenIsNotMyRealName!!

Arguing is a sport, change my mind.

@Minty greens, I've never enjoyed it, but I've always DONE it, because someone has to, someone has to stop these people in their hatred parade. But you know what? Even though I'm THE SHIT at it, and the people always get quiet and respectful when talking to me by the end (after I'm soundly whipping their ass and they know they can't win) and begrudgingly concede to many of my points, they just don't care and nothing will make them care. No amount of logic, no amount of getting destroyed in debate, no amount of patience, kindness, appeals to their "better nature"... they just go home back to their classic hateful selves, where they are safe from me and everyone else who makes them feel stupid... because you can't make them feel like bad people. They are HAPPY to be bad people.

Minty greens
2 minutes ago, GlamRocker said:

Where they are safe from me and everyone else who makes them feel stupid... because you can't make them feel like bad people. They are HAPPY to be bad people.

but another thing to consider is that, from their perspective, they aren't being bad, they just don't know any better. 
I do think that for some people, their minds can be changed. The ones that are in denial, or the ones that have/are going to have someone come-out to them. If they have no real world connection to the community in anyway, then it won't matter.  

@Minty greens

Oh, no, they know they're bad.

They just think they're entitled to it- that they can oppress with impunity.

Minty greens
3 minutes ago, GlamRocker said:

@Minty greens

Oh, no, they know they're bad.

They just think they're entitled to it- that they can oppress with impunity.

maybe some, or most, but I have met a lot that are ignorant instead of entitled.

I normally hate it but every once in a while you get people that make the most outrageous claims.

For instance, there was this one guy who told Yasmin Benoit that she wore makeup because she was sexually attracted to herself and that a real asexual person wouldn't wear makeup or "other sexually provocative items"

its hot takes like these that keep me going. 

I don't debate things that aren't open for debate. It just adds credence to the false belief, IMHO.

WrenIsNotMyRealName!!
On 4/27/2020 at 1:15 PM, Minty greens said:

maybe some, or most, but I have met a lot that are ignorant instead of entitled.

Yeah, like me. When I was just learning about the Community, I was ignorant about a lot of thinks because I only knew what the media had told me.

Minty greens
1 hour ago, WrenIsNotMyRealName!! said:

Yeah, like me. When I was just learning about the Community, I was ignorant about a lot of thinks because I only knew what the media had told me.

I feel that a lot of people are just parroting the media or their parents.

tea-board20

I grew up around a good number of folks who never really bothered to understand people who were different from them, usually out of fear or misconceptions, so I've been in a few in-person discussions about it. I can't say I enjoyed it, really, but I did find their point of views interesting, like you said. I like seeing how other people think, and it's good to hear what they have to say, even if I agree with none of it. Sometimes it helps me think more deeply and reaffirm my own opinions. More often than not, though, I just come out feeling a bit sad for them; they're probably missing out on quite a bit - maybe even making new and interesting friends - by being so stuck in their ways. I hope they meet someone who changes their mind, or maybe take some time to reflect and grow a bit in their thinking. And, if nothing else, if they say something particularly ridiculous, I can keep it in mind and laugh about it later. It's a learning experience, provided I don't get in too deep.

Archived