• No
  3. 3. Do you use contact?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Which do you prefer?

• Contacts
    • Glasses
    • I wish I had good vision period
  5. 5. Would you give anything to have better vision?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would sell my soul at this stage

J. van Deijck
On 6/10/2020 at 1:31 AM, FallingStar said:

Lately I'm annoyed at my current pair, though, because they're too loose and always sliding down my face and I haven't had much success in fixing this myself. 

Oooh, same here. My glasses are 2 years old now and I can't fix them at all, even though I've tried. I would go to the optician, but that probably costs money.

• 1 year later...

I know what you're thinking:

full

But this was the newest thread on whether you wear glasses or not, the other was from 2005.

I have astigmatism and suffer from short sightedness so I wear glasses. I have tonnes of different frames but will often just stick to one. Right now I'm rocking a Sean John pair which I really like. As for the person who said her eyes hurt after wearing her glasses after 3 months, wish I could have said it here sooner, but I've heard that if you're supposed to wear glasses and don't, especially if you need them, your vision progressively gets worse. Not sure if that is quite true though. My next pic in the selfie thread will be with glasses on, the current pair that I'm loving so much. (I posted a selfie of myself over there yesterday if you'd like to see how I look without glasses)

My vision is not so bad that I can not do without my glasses, but I definitely see better with them. I would certainly be required to wear them if I was driving for example.

TheSmolFoxWeeb

My vision has been trash since 2nd grade. Genetics have not been kind to me.

Sister Mercurial

Been wearing glasses since I was 7.  Think my face looks empty without.  However, considering finding out whether contacts are comfortable, because there are some situations where they would be more practical.  

On 4/17/2020 at 10:09 PM, Rhyn Corinn said:

The one complaint I have is that men's glasses...are so boring. The women's section had so many nice different colors! But the men's section was just boring colors, except for the one pair of blue frames that I found.

The problem with "non-boring" glasses is that if you wear non-boring clothes, there will always be some outfits that clash with them, so I tend to stick with neutral colours for glasses despite there being a wider range available.  

Sister Mercurial
On 5/21/2020 at 9:50 PM, SorryNotSorry said:

Ever notice how most of us with Asperger’s have terrible eyesight?

Yep, got autism and short-sightedness from my father.  Wouldn't surprise me if the genes went together, like the genes for diabetes and higher risk of breast/ovarian cancer go together (my best friend has that gene, though touch wood, she hasn't had cancer yet).  Has any research been done on the autism/short-sightedness gene combination?  

Sister Mercurial
On 5/24/2020 at 7:42 AM, Gucci_Grape said:

Or when I have to walk down patterned stairs and can barely tell where one step ends and the other begins. 😅 

Can't your feet tell that?  Even with double thickness DM boots, I can usually figure out when one foot is at the edge of a step.  Well, so long as I don't try to run down them, but that's not recommended practice anyway.  

Sister Mercurial
On 6/3/2020 at 8:30 PM, scarletlatitude said:

My prescription is insane - the lenses are so thick that I need to use plastic frames.

I have a very strong prescription, but have never been recommended plastic frames.  What they recommend is unfashionably small lenses and the extra option to make them thinner (which is included in the opticians at the supermarket chain Asda over here, so that's where I usually buy my glasses).  

• 1 month later...

I used to think wearing glasses is really cool until i got my vision damaged and I'm forced to wear it 24/7. I really feel sorry now for thinking it was cool at all, i really wish to resuscitate my vision again!

J. van Deijck

I actually like my glasses and I do think they're cool :P except for the problems like lenses getting steamy or dirty :lol:

BTW one of the lenses is thicker, too, because with my left eye I see only stains of colour. Even the shapes are hard to recognize :lol:

32 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

I actually like my glasses and I do think they're cool :P except for the problems like lenses getting steamy or dirty :lol:

BTW one of the lenses is thicker, too, because with my left eye I see only stains of colour. Even the shapes are hard to recognize :lol:

Yeah I like my glasses too. I think they make me look more posh and intelligent. :)

J. van Deijck
1 hour ago, Calliers said:

Yeah I like my glasses too. I think they make me look more posh and intelligent. :)

That's exactly why I like mine :lol:

6 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

That's exactly why I like mine :lol:

IKR??? I really don't blame people who wear glasses for fashion, like the ones with non-functioning lenses/fake lenses that are just clear, glasses can really accentuate your wardrobe. :)

J. van Deijck
9 minutes ago, Calliers said:

IKR??? I really don't blame people who wear glasses for fashion, like the ones with non-functioning lenses/fake lenses that are just clear, glasses can really accentuate your wardrobe. :)

And they come in variety of styles, so you can choose whatever you like these days :D

11 minutes ago, Black-purple-grey said:

The only annoying thing is they steam up when wearing face masks. 

That's horrible indeed <_< but last year we've been supplied at work with special sprays that prevent steaming up, and they seem to be really working.

6 minutes ago, Black-purple-grey said:

Oooh I shall look into these "special sprays". Sounds useful. 

I think @davebtalked about them somewhere else on the forums.

I don't use them, if it is winter time I just go without glasses when I go out. I mean, I'm not driving, and if I am driving I am within the cars cabin so it is fine.

7 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

And they come in variety of styles, so you can choose whatever you like these days :D

Have a look at this:

J. van Deijck
13 minutes ago, Calliers said:

I just go without glasses when I go out.

Wish I could do the same :lol: but my eyesight is too messed up, and I can't deal with lenses. Some might say how on earth have I dealt with basketball trainings in the past :lol:

And that video is awesome :lol:

2 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

Wish I could do the same :lol: but my eyesight is too messed up, and I can't deal with lenses. Some might say how on earth have I dealt with basketball trainings in the past :lol:

And that video is awesome :lol:

Yeah the company is advertising their glasses all over CNN non-stop, that is where I first saw them, might get me a pair when I go in for a change of glasses next year probably. I already got my turtle frames for this year like a few months ago so.... 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Calliers said:
5 hours ago, Black-purple-grey said:

Oooh I shall look into these "special sprays". Sounds useful. 

I think @davebtalked about them somewhere else on the forums.

Yep, there is a kind that was originally made for gamers (like paintball or laser tag, where they wear goggles and are running around very active and really don't want their vision to get fogged up). The one I use is called Fogaway, but I don't know if that is a US-only brand. I definitely recommend looking for something like it. :)

Made a big difference to me when I have to go out and wear a mask.

adequately.asher

I wear glasses full-time out of necessity. My vision is about -4.0, if I recall correctly (I've always gotten mine as 20/xxx at the optometrist) so I can't make out much more than blobs when something is more than 15-20 feet away, unless I already know what it is or it's very big/obvious. I have had to wear glasses since I was probably about seven years old, and my first prescription was about -2.5 (20/200). I have never tried contact lenses, maybe one day I will. The thought of them getting lost in my eye scares me too much.

Oddly enough, I can see just fine underwater most of the time, even without prescription goggles.

J. van Deijck
10 minutes ago, adequately.asher said:

My vision is about -4.0

Mine as well, but in my right eye. In my left eye it's even worse.

Blue eyes white dragon

My left eye is -2.3 and my right eye is -5.0. As of 3ish years ago I think, it stopped progressing at least. I like how glasses look but I also loose them and bump them and get dirty and scratched and just an all around hassle. I like contacts too but again gotta put them in, take them out, keep them moist, they get lost in eyes or you drop them. Plus the last time I was able to afford them, I was allergic to the brand I got. Honestly I'm just gonna see if I can get corrective surgery so I don't have to deal with any of that and have my eyes be the same. Two different prescriptions is annoying, I can feel it in my eyes and I get headaches from it 

J. van Deijck

Mine was said to have stopped progressing as well, until I got that brain injury and since then, it takes long to adjust my eyes <_<

I'm worse than -6 in my good eye, worse than -7 in my bad eye, and can only see clearly for about a foot in front of my face without my glasses on.  I've been wearing glasses since I was six, for obvious reasons, and my vision has been getting progressively worse ever since. On top of this, I recently almost lost the sight in my bad eye altogether when the retina detached, although modern medicine seems to have pulled it back from the brink.

wow yalls vision is rough.

I only have about -1.5 to -1.85. So I wear em while driving or looking at anything further away then 5 feet or so. 

I remember the first time I got glasses, I was about 25 and was shocked at how much clearer everything was.

2 hours ago, skal said:

I remember the first time I got glasses, I was about 25 and was shocked at how much clearer everything was.

When I was in junior high school I tired on a friend's glasses just for fun and realized I could see better, even with his prescription which was surely different from mine. When I got my own glasses I marveled at how clearly I could see stuff. It was like going from an impressionist painting to hyper-realism. :P 

2 hours ago, daveb said:

When I was in junior high school I tired on a friend's glasses just for fun and realized I could see better, even with his prescription which was surely different from mine. When I got my own glasses I marveled at how clearly I could see stuff. It was like going from an impressionist painting to hyper-realism. :P 

4 hours ago, skal said:

wow yalls vision is rough.

I only have about -1.5 to -1.85. So I wear em while driving or looking at anything further away then 5 feet or so. 

I remember the first time I got glasses I marveled, to my land lord, who was with me that everything was like switching from SD to HD lol. If 4K was around I would have said it was like going from HD to 4K with HDR 2000+! :D

J. van Deijck
On 5/21/2020 at 10:50 PM, SorryNotSorry said:

Ever notice how most of us with Asperger’s have terrible eyesight?

Yeah but in my case it's more MFS, I think :ph34r: although I have both.

SorryNotSorry

Q: how can you spot a hardcore nerd in Los Angeles traffic?

A: he's the one driving the car that has a prescription windshield a foot thick, foggy around the edges.

J. van Deijck

My glasses are not enough anymore. Particularly in my left eye. 

Archived