• No
  3. 3. Do you use contact?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Which do you prefer?

• Contacts
    • Glasses
    • I wish I had good vision period
  5. 5. Would you give anything to have better vision?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would sell my soul at this stage

Gucci_Grape

I've been wearing glasses since I was in second grade. Myself and all of my friends and family are so used to me wearing them that it feels weird when I'm not. Honestly, none of my friends knew me before I wore glasses. They're like a major part of my face. I always think of my glasses as a permanent fashion accessory! 

I only wear contacts for cosplay or fancy events. I just prefer my look with glasses. 

Gucci_Grape
On 5/23/2020 at 12:45 AM, DuranDuranfan said:

I was born with a strabismus of my left eye. It was severe enough that it wouldn’t self-correct so I had a patch placed over my right eye and I had my first pair of glasses as well. I was nine months old at the time. When I was one year old I had an operation to straighten my eyes so that I’d have binocular vision, but I don’t have complete binocular vision. So my depth perception is poor. 

I don't have a condition or anything but I also have poor depth perception. When I got my eyes checked a few years ago, my doctor commented on how it was the fastest depth perception deterioration she had ever seen. It's really fun not being able to catch anything. Or when I have to walk down patterned stairs and can barely tell where one step ends and the other begins. 😅 

Grumpy Alien

I wear glasses and contacts. I prefer contacts. Glasses start to hurt my face or slide off and I hate the sensation of having something on my face. It feels like it’s blocking my vision even though it’s actually correcting. I’ve needed glasses since I was 8 and once I had to wear them full time (my eyesight went from normal to severely nearsighted over the course of 2 year) I switched to mainly contacts. I was 10 when I switched. My vision in both eyes is -2.75. I take my glasses off to use my phone or read because it’s so close to my face but anything else I need them for it to not be blurry blobs.

I can’t find a picture example of exactly my vision but my eyes are a bit worse than this:

nearsighted-before_0.jpg?itok=TOEMs3eE

Not having corrected lenses makes me feel really disoriented.

J. van Deijck
On 5/23/2020 at 6:45 AM, DuranDuranfan said:

So my depth perception is poor. 

So is mine. It's caused by the two diopters difference between my eyes and some other condition that causes my weaker eye to work even worse than the test indicated.

DuranDuranfan
8 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

So is mine. It's caused by the two diopters difference between my eyes and some other condition that causes my weaker eye to work even worse than the test indicated.

Yeah my left eye needs a thicker lens. 

J. van Deijck
8 hours ago, DuranDuranfan said:

Same :D my left eye is the weaker one.

Forest Spirit

Got my first glasses at the age of about 10, had contact lenses for 2-3 years in high school but went back to glasses again because they made my eyes dry. I'm near sighted with some astigmatism which funnily enough seems to counteract the nearsightedness a bit and makes my eyes end up with about -3 diopter (+- 0.25 in between right and left eye), so clear vision until about 30cm which means reading is still fine ^yey^

Honestly, I actually like it in a way. My glasses are the last thing I put on in the morning because it's just nice not having to see everything right away (if that makes sense). Only problem is with wearing over-ear headphones, hats and sweating at the point where they touch your nose (just hate sweating)

Forest Spirit
On 4/17/2020 at 10:13 PM, DarkGloomSquid said:

I actually have no idea what my eye sight is cause the optometrists never seem bothered to talk to me about it.

You might have to specifically ask them to write it down on one of those eye charts (and explain what it means because there's usually no description on it), had to do that the last time I went for a check up which was... weird. Idk just felt like that should be a given😅

AceAnimeFan

Everyone in my immediate family has bad eyesight, but mine, thankfully, is closest to normal. I had glassed as a kid but didn't need them in high school or college, but since I started grad school it's gotten worse again. For safety reasons I can't wear contacts in the lab I work in so I got glasses but they were uncomfortable so after looking into other options I decided to do corneal refractive therapy, which reshapes my eye with wearable molds that I sleep in so that my vision comes out to be 20/20 when the molds come off.

I was prescribed glasses awhile back for astigmatism, but I dont need them all the time only when I need to see something at a distance. Learned real quick about that "distance" part when I rolled a car into a ditch cause I didnt see the deer down the road. To be fair that deer also jumped out and was hidden in the brambles and also had a gillie suit.

ElloryJaye

I'm really nearsighted and have been wearing glasses since I was six.  ("Really nearsighted", in this case, means around -6.5 diopters in my left eye and around -7.5 in my right as of a few years ago.  They've deteriorated gradually over time.)  I only take my glasses off to shower and sleep.  I also tend to buy my glasses with the largest sane-looking lenses I can find—I'd rather have the world in focus if I look up or to the side than worry about my glasses being a bit heavy (despite the outer edge of the right lense on my current pair being a centimeter thick).  I've never given contacts serious consideration.  My glasses are a part of me.

Semiterrestrial Scientist

I relate to this much more than i would like...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1sXvBvNO1vfF_zSvoYE4

I also never wear my glasses 🤷🏻‍♀️

On 5/30/2020 at 1:55 AM, DuranDuranfan said:

18 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

Same :D my left eye is the weaker one.

Hat trick! My left eye is slightly weaker than the right.

I got glasses at 25 but I had gone many years without a test so I probably should have had them long before that. My vision seemed to take a sudden turn for the worse--possibly eye strain--so I had to get it checked out which scared the crap out of me. It was just astigmatism though, and I didn't realize just how bad my vision was until I saw it corrected while in a Future Shop. The glasses took some getting used to though; for a while I was shorter than usual, or so it seemed. I went lax on the tests again though, not getting another one until months after my frames cracked. Back then I wasn't in a position to have them replaced quickly.

I'd prefer to not need visual correction. Glasses are just another thing to clean and right now they're not clean; thanks, oily skin.

Somehow the big aviators Weird Al had before Lasik surgery, not to mention his mustache, suited his image better in my opinion. I never got used to seeing him without them.

I'mTheDecoy

I do wish I had 20/20 vision just because glasses can get in the way - terrible in the rain, and then steaming up, having to remember to switch from normal to sunglasses, keeping them clean and in working order, and as my eyesight changes having to remove them now to read up close. Also I have had ones in the past that cut my face so I switched design and the ones I have now are too loose and fall off a lot which is a real pain. Also looking at old photos, small glasses really do no suit me at all. Glad big glasses came back into fashion!

Tried contact lenses once. Horrendous experience. Not worth the stress.

J. van Deijck
21 hours ago, I'mTheDecoy said:

I do wish I had 20/20 vision just because glasses can get in the way - terrible in the rain, and then steaming up, having to remember to switch from normal to sunglasses, keeping them clean and in working order, and as my eyesight changes having to remove them now to read up close. Also I have had ones in the past that cut my face so I switched design and the ones I have now are too loose and fall off a lot which is a real pain. Also looking at old photos, small glasses really do no suit me at all. Glad big glasses came back into fashion!

Tried contact lenses once. Horrendous experience. Not worth the stress.

Totally agree with all of this.

But also I would never call myself severely nearsighted, -3.0 is on the border between mild and moderate :D even though something doesn't feel right when I have no glasses as the world gets blurry.

There are people who literally have it worse. I once knew a girl who had about -10.0 diopters in both eyes; without glasses, she was completely helpless. She told me she really wanted kids one day, but was too afraid of childbirth since her eyes were at the risk.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:45 AM, Semiterrestrial Scientist said:

I relate to this much more than i would like...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1sXvBvNO1vfF_zSvoYE4

I also never wear my glasses 🤷🏻‍♀️

I used to memeorize shit or just order the same thing over XD

1 hour ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

Totally agree with all of this.

But also I would never call myself severely nearsighted, -3.0 is on the border between mild and moderate :D even though something doesn't feel right when I have no glasses as the world gets blurry.

There are people who literally have it worse. I once knew a girl who had about -10.0 diopters in both eyes; without glasses, she was completely helpless. She told me she really wanted kids one day, but was too afraid of childbirth since her eyes were at the risk.

see you all discussing numbers XD I know nothing I dont even know what my vision is, I ask but get ignored by the optometrists lol

On 5/31/2020 at 7:47 AM, I'mTheDecoy said:

Also looking at old photos, small glasses really do no suit me at all. Glad big glasses came back into fashion!

A fortunate few can rock any size.

img11-2.jpg

optigrab-orig.jpg

scarletlatitude

Woah where has this group been all my life? 

I've had glasses since I was about 8 years old. My prescription is insane - the lenses are so thick that I need to use plastic frames. I tried metal frames... they fell apart almost immediately. Once a screw literally flew out of them during dinner. :P 

I am super blind without my glasses. I need to have things right in front of my nose to even see them. I also get migraines if I try to see something without my glasses, then try to put my glasses on (like looking at my phone at night). 

Blaiddmelyn

I've also had glasses since I was about 8, and also have very bad eyesight. I'm shortsighted. I think it's currently about -7,-8. I've never had an optician's appointment where my eyesight hasn't worsened. Whenever friends want to try my glasses on, I have to warn them that they should not look through them for more than a few seconds. I usually get the glasses back very quickly as people are never expecting them to be as strong as they are.

Tbh, I don't mind the glasses so much - I've spent most of my life wearing them so I'm used to them - but it is annoying in rain or now wearing facemasks, or even swimming. I cannot stand contacts though so never wear them, meaning I pay a bomb every time I get new glasses so I can get thin lenses. I wouldn't get laser eye surgery. I have zero desire to have a laser pointed at my eye!

scarletlatitude
14 hours ago, DarkGloomSquid said:

It took us awhile to see it ...

giphy.gif

I didn't need glasses until I was 19 or 20. I have a fairly bad stigmatism that as I age progressively makes my vision worse. At one time, I didn't want them, loving how I originally looked. Now that I have spent equal time with and without them. I am indifferent. I use the glasses to augment my style, and certainly appreciate being able to see clearer. I always use sun glasses (and HIGHLY recommend everyone else due the same to protect your eyes). There certainly are challenges, and I never liked contacts, but overall, there not that defining to me anymore.

J. van Deijck
On 6/1/2020 at 12:19 PM, DarkGloomSquid said:

see you all discussing numbers XD I know nothing I dont even know what my vision is, I ask but get ignored by the optometrists lol

This is actually bad, they should inform you like straight away. Sometimes it's better to know these numbers :D for example, when I went to the ophthalmologist last year, she asked me how strong my lenses are, so she could start testing my eyes from that point and not from zero.

2 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

This is actually bad, they should inform you like straight away. Sometimes it's better to know these numbers :D for example, when I went to the ophthalmologist last year, she asked me how strong my lenses are, so she could start testing my eyes from that point and not from zero.

They cant be bothered, I have tried and they ignore me 🤷‍♀️ 

FallingStar

I've worn glasses since I was in middle school. My whole family has bad eyesight so initially I was proud of my ok eyesight and I didn't want to wear glasses/didn't tell anyone when it became hard for me to see the board in school or recognize people from a distance (although this made school harder...). Anyway, I'm now very used to my glasses and think of them as a part of me. I feel like I look weird without glasses.

Lately I'm annoyed at my current pair, though, because they're too loose and always sliding down my face and I haven't had much success in fixing this myself. 

I got glasses in elementary school and loved them at first. Then they got annoying. Now, I don't wear my glasses most of the time unless I'm at school because my vision isn't so bad that I can't see without them. At this point, I haven't worn my glasses for about three months. I really hope it doesn't get worse, because glasses are annoying. I also hate the idea of contacts.

I tried wearing them again yesterday and it kind of hurt my eyes. I'm not sure what that means.

ChickenMayo

sometimes i just can't stand to wear glasses full time, it's just uncomfortable for me on some occasions, also i have an allergies with contact lenses (last time i wear a contact lenses my eyes is itchy af). Plus, my eyesight is always deteriorating every year, now it's -4.0 for both eyes. I wish i can un-deteriorate it somehow even though it's impossible

On 6/10/2020 at 8:52 PM, autumnlao said:

I got glasses in elementary school and loved them at first. Then they got annoying. Now, I don't wear my glasses most of the time unless I'm at school because my vision isn't so bad that I can't see without them. At this point, I haven't worn my glasses for about three months. I really hope it doesn't get worse, because glasses are annoying. I also hate the idea of contacts.

I tried wearing them again yesterday and it kind of hurt my eyes. I'm not sure what that means.

How do they hurt?

28 minutes ago, DarkGloomSquid said:

How do they hurt?

It feels kind of like the prescription is a little too strong. Maybe I'm just not used to wearing glasses right now

Archived