How do you feel about being called "sexy"?

Marimbasticks

How do you feel about being called sexy?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about being called sexy?

• I love it
    • I don't mind
    • I hate it
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you refer to others as sexy?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends

This poll is closed to new votes

On 4/13/2020 at 5:08 PM, N8LV3y said:

I get confused and then I question their standards.

This also is me - I'm just puzzled and kind of suspicious of them.

I've never called anyone/thing sexy in anything but an ironic way. If I want to compliment someone on their looks, I use other words.

everywhere and nowhere

I replied to question 1 as "I hate it", because I definitely would hate to be sexy - I don't want to, I want to look good without being sexually attractive. However: I'm not actually called sexy by anyone. I have a hard time recalling if there has been even a single instance of someone calling me that. (And since I would be very uncomfortable with that - it's likely that there wasn't. The number of sexual proposals I have received is small, but above zero. I know a guy who would try to seduce almost every woman he meets and also attaches a spiritual significance to that, my asexuality was a bit of a spur for him - but even he never called me sexy.)

Which surely has a lot to do with me just avoiding any sexual situations, with me taking care not to look sexy... but it also confirms that I'm really not what is considered conventionally attractive. I have bad allergy, already quite deep wrinkles (probably partially because of having extremely dry skin), a just not very feminine face - rectangular, with deep-set eyes and a big nose. And, to make it clear - apart from my allergy, I like these features. I wouldn't want to look more "girly".

Which, sure, protects me from the "You're really cute, what a waste!" type of comments, but also comes at a price - my unattractiveness obviously leaves me vulnerable to the other type of comments: "You couldn't get laid anyway and are just lying to youself!". In my view, beauty and ugliness are deeply intersectional situations for asexuals.

I feel like if someone was going to call me sexy, I would feel a little put upon, like they then have desires on me or want/expect something, which would make me very uncomfortable. I don't know how sexy people manage it, but I guess their psychology is just different.

... It would probably make me want to crawl out of my own skin and run away if someone called me that. Just about any other compliment would be better.

I don't like it, but won't make a big fuss out of it. When guys I'm not even remotely intrested in call me that I'm just like "okay thanks, not like you'll get to do anything about it." I would prefer my partner compliment my personality rather my sex appeal. 

I would be baffled if anyone called me sexy.

I hate it! It's similar to "attractive", which makes me feel nauseous.

I'm scared that I can never have a relationship without being seen that way. 

J. van Deijck

I don't like it and I don't call anyone that way.

Celyn: The Lutening

It seems objectifying and targeted towards a body of which I'm not fond, so I find it very unpleasant.

I use "hot" if I find someone aesthetically attractive, because "sexy" implies sex.

Celyn: The Lutening
1 minute ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

I use "pretty," "handsome" and "cute."

I use "pretty" a lot too.

On 4/12/2020 at 4:23 PM, Homer said:

Doesn't happen, am potato.

As someone from Idaho I can confirm that potatoes are, in fact, very sexy (in a totally nonsexual way) 

It depends on the context. if it's someone catcalling me or someone I don't know commenting on my body, I find it disgusting and dehumanizing. If it's a close friend being funny I'll totally accept it. My friends in my section call each other 'saxy' all the time 

• 4 weeks later...

(I answered “Other” and “It depends” on the poll)

If the complimenter has good, innocent intentions for calling me “sexy”, with true appreciation and not as a catcall or a way to degrade/objectifying me, I’ll accept passionately. That’s a way for a lot of people to say to one another they are beautiful.

For the subject of me calling other people “sexy”: I know what is considered to be sexy in our culture, and so I will refer to a person as “sexy” if they answer to this description.

• 1 month later...

My kind-of-ex girlfriend told me that she had a big sexual attraction going on towards me and I was like.... WAIT SO I CAN ACTUALLY WAKE THAT SPARK WITHIN ALLOSEXUALS??? DOES THAT MEAN I AM SOMEWHAT PRETTY? Felt flattered XD

However if a random person would say that to me out of the blue I'd be like ew go away shoo shoo. 

fooledbysecrecy

i don't like the word itself bc it confuses the heck out of me, what does it mean?? sexy as in shaggable? it's certainly something more than just 'good looking' or something. so yeah i wouldn't like it if someone called me that. and no i don't call people that either.

I never thought about why I never called anyone sexy, but it makes so much sense now. I don't understand the term therefore I simply don't used. 

I am a bit confused, since I am still not sure what it actually means. But it does not really bother me. Sometimes I ask that person "is that a compliment?" (genuine question) and if they say it is, I am flattered :D

I never use the word for people. But when I am feeling especially ironic (which is, to be honest, quite often), you can hear me refering to topics of research as "sexy" :D 

nonsquirrel

I never use it to describe people because I don't find that it means anything to me. Occasionally I use it to describe dance or dance-like movement that I recognize as being rather sexual in manner. As for having it applied to myself, I would hate to be simplified to only that adjective by a stranger, but could probably accept it as a well-meant compliment from someone who actually knows me

I spent most of my life struggling to pass as "normal" regarding gender and sexual expectations. I studied what others perceived as sexy, and imitated that (and was sometimes abusively coerced into "sexy" behaviors). It felt like being in drag unwittingly; I was extremely uncomfortable and anxious. Since I've accepted myself as ace and gender fluid, I've been able to let go of those ingenuine behaviors for the most part. So, since I've stopped "acting" sexy, it surprises and confuses me when anyone calls me sexy because I thought sexy was a mask that one puts on or not. I thought I had a good understanding of what allosexuals regard as sexy, but apparently there's more to it than I'm able to understand. 

• 2 weeks later...
NerdAlert93

My insecurities are going to show.  I never get called any aesthetic complements other than "cute" and occasionally "adorable," and it gets to me some times.  "Sexy" scares me because for some reason, but I wouldn't mind being called "beautiful" or "hot" or any other adjective in that vein that doesn't apply to baby animals.  I am already baby-faced, and I feel like no one takes me seriously as an adult.  

I'm sorry for the whinging.  It just gets under my skin some days and I just wanted it out.

I don't like being called sexy (but A-sexy is ok), but I don't object to referring to another as such if it would be received as a compliment.

• 3 months later...
Mackenzie Malik

I don't particularly like being called sexy because I don't get what it means, well I know the definition but I don't get how a person can be "sexy" so it confuses me 

1. I would feel really weird 😂

2. It's funny (and weird?) that I call many things or people sexy, but not for their sex-appeal =))), but for things I find interesting at them (like hobbies, jobs, how they think etc).

I think I'd get them a new set of glasses 👓😅 if someone called me sexy, I'm overweight, ugly, look way older than I am, there's nothing that could be sexy about me, I wouldn't be offended, shocked but not offended, I can honestly say, I've never been called sexy in my life

I find certain people appealing for reasons such as personality, maybe looks, but sexy? Even at my age, I don't think I would know what sexy is

I would feel fear and general concern for my safety if I did not know them. Anyone that knows me would already know better.

Yuck yuck no no no. I'd be terrified. 😳 I'd rather be called a rotten tomato.

Archived