Jump to content
Kelly

New Moderator Needed: Just For Fun and Arcade: Nominations

Recommended Posts

Kelly

Join the team!

 

If you think you would be interested in being the new Just for Fun/Arcade Moderator, throw cookies, cakes, your hat, turnip, or whatever you have into the ring. Just be sure to make it clear that you wish to run.

 

Eligibility requirements include being a member for at least 6 months, and having at least 100 posts that are not in the Just for Fun or Welcome Lounge forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning.

 

Also, see the following for election rules:

 

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/90514-rules-and-procedure-for-elections/

 

Voting will be by a vote of confidence. A bio is required to be PMed to me by voting time.

 

This is the timeline for this election:

 

This is the timeline for this election:

Thursday, 9 April to Thursday, 16 April: Nominations.

Thursday, 16 April to Sunday, 19 April: Dedicated Q&A period.

Sunday, 19 April to Sunday, 26 April: Voting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man

These are very busy forums, but I guess they are not as busy with reports or reportable behaviour.

 

I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who’s previously modded them on reading volume + warning/action volume 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OptimisticPessimist

@Iam9man I've previously modded JFF, they do get very busy and and are very active, but JFF as a whole is generally easy to keep up with (chatterbox is included). Action wise, JFF is like any of the other forums, sometimes you do need to step in or deal with stuff but it's an easygoing forum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man
5 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

@Iam9man I've previously modded JFF, they do get very busy and and are very active, but JFF as a whole is generally easy to keep up with (chatterbox is included). Action wise, JFF is like any of the other forums, sometimes you do need to step in or deal with stuff but it's an easygoing forum.

Thank you! Excluding dealing with reports/needing to step in, how much time did you find you had to spend simply reading to keep up with everything? Did you find you could skim-read any/much of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skycaptain

@Iam9man, it's good first forum to moderate. After the first day it doesn't take too long to read through, and most of the actual work is tidying dupes 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CBC

I'm going to be pedantic here and ask a question that pops into mind every time I see a nomination thread. Why does it say that you can't run with an "active, current warning". Are 'active' and 'current' not the same thing...?

 

(And no, don't worry, folks... I'm not thinking of running even if I'm warning-free at any point. :P)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OptimisticPessimist

@Iam9man It really varies,and it depends if you do have to deal with stuff too but it doesn't take too long to look over. Arcade and most of the JFF threads are quick to go through but the conversation threads can take a little time to look through as they get very active. It is a good first forum to start modding. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man
1 minute ago, Skycaptain said:

@Iam9man, it's good first forum to moderate. After the first day it doesn't take too long to read through, and most of the actual work is tidying dupes 

Thanks for putting it into perspective. Just had a look at both and thought OMG! 🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man
11 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

@Iam9man It really varies,and it depends if you do have to deal with stuff too but it doesn't take too long to look over. Arcade and most of the JFF are quick to go through but the conversation threads can take a little time to look through as they get very active. It is a good first forum to start modding. 

Thank you. Do you remember (very) roughly how much time you used to set aside on an average day when modding JFF? I’m just trying to gauge if this is a “quick check at breakfast & lunch, then up to an hour in the evening”, more like “just 30mins a day” or more like “2h+ a day”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man

On a less serious (but just as important) note, if I became Arcade mod could I post a greenie on one of the “How high can we count before X sees?” threads if someone misses a number? 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OptimisticPessimist

@Iam9man When properly checking it would take me at least an hour or so, but agian, it depends how many new posts etc and we all work at different speeds. 

 

We do tend to use only greenies for offical posts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man
7 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

 

@Iam9man When properly checking it would take me at least an hour or so, but agian, it depends how many new posts etc and we all work at different speeds

 

Thank you, that helps me calibrate.

 

7 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

We do tend to use only greenies for offical posts.

Disappointing but completely understandable 😊

 

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Homer

JFF/Arcade/Chatterbox was the first set of forumses I modded. It's a boatload of traffic. I found it the easiest to open all the threads with new posts in separate tabs, then read them one at a time. Arcade can just be skimmed more or less. I don't think it's a breakfast and lunch thing if you really want to read everything there is. It's super rare that something blows up and there usually aren't many reports to deal with. It definitely helps to separate between mod browsing (aka reading threads as a mod) and regular browsing (aka just having fun like everyone else)

 

There were a few threads I just couldn't get myself to deal with, mainly Caps Lock Club (because I have a hard time reading capslock for an extended period of time) and anything kpop related, but I knew that @Skycaptain is up to speed in caps and a bunch of other staff follow the kpop threads, so things don't get lost. The amount of actual action I had to take was negiglible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man

Thanks Homer, that’s helpful.

 

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I don't think it's a breakfast and lunch thing if you really want to read everything there is.

So would you say like an hour in the evenings or potentially more (on average)?

 

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

It's super rare that something blows up and there usually aren't many reports to deal with. It definitely helps to separate between mod browsing (aka reading threads as a mod) and regular browsing (aka just having fun like everyone else)

👍

 

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

but I knew that @Skycaptain is up to speed in caps and a bunch of other staff follow the kpop threads, so things don't get lost.

That’s helpful; where other mods are part of the conversation I guess this helps reduce the workload!

 

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

The amount of actual action I had to take was negiglible.

My thoughts exactly on these forums, hence why they caught my eye!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Homer
2 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

So would you say like an hour in the evenings or potentially more (on average)?

If you really want to read all the chat threads, an hour won't cut it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man

@OptimisticPessimist & @Homer

 

Thanks both. Final question: what made you decided to move on from modding these forums?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OptimisticPessimist

@Iam9man I was interested in Admin-ing so decided to go for that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Homer
21 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

Final question: what made you decided to move on from modding these forums?

I covered Tea & Sympathy for a while because the previous mod stepped down. Combined with the fun & games boards, it is a downright INSANE workload. We're talking 3+ hours each day, all admod lense if you will. No fun. I ended up really enjoying Tea & Sympathy and it turns out that people in general didn't think that I was absolutely terrible at it. Just moderately terrible :D so I kept Tea & Sympathy. I seriously do not recommend Tea & Sympathy plus the fun boards as a package, at all, ever :lol: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iff
1 hour ago, CBC said:

I'm going to be pedantic here and ask a question that pops into mind every time I see a nomination thread. Why does it say that you can't run with an "active, current warning". Are 'active' and 'current' not the same thing...?

 

yes, they are the same thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CBC

Bit redundant then, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Real Jazz Hands
3 hours ago, CBC said:

Bit redundant then, no?

If "Bit" is ironic does that make it redundant?

 

By the way, feel free to that that as a rhetorical question! :P  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man

I appreciate that every time there’s a mod vacancy for more than one forum someone always asks if they can be split and the answer is always the forum workload is evenly split into X number of mods... but here’s some food for thought:

 

How about designating these two as “training” forums and taking on 2 mods? This would feel far less daunting for newbies, allow them time to get used to modding & back room activity, and there could be a defined training path; e.g. holiday cover for others after 3 months and change forums (subject to availability) after 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
timewarp
49 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

How about designating these two as “training” forums and taking on 2 mods? This would feel far less daunting for newbies, allow them time to get used to modding & back room activity, and there could be a defined training path; e.g. holiday cover for others after 3 months and change forums (subject to availability) after 6.

Yayyyy, just what AVEN needs. Even more red tape.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iam9man
21 minutes ago, timewarp said:

Yayyyy, just what AVEN needs. Even more red tape.

I suspect what AVEN needs is to foster a more positive, supportive environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
timewarp
6 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

I suspect what AVEN needs is to foster a more positive, supportive environment.

And red tape is totally providing that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skycaptain

@Iam9man, everyone is overcomplicating things. To put it in perspective, I cover Older Asexuals, PPS, TGA/Sex Talk, and I'm covering mod for Rels, JFF and Arcade at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kimmie.

I would love to help out more but again I don't want this kind of power plus based on the Q&A emails I am not cut out for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mother Bread

As the most recent mod of JFF/Acade, I can confirm that those forums are pretty darn awesome to mod. It generates very few reports or needs for mod actions - the majority of what I did was move threads and tidy up the forums. I helped other Admods with their duties a lot too. 
 

I work 14 hour shifts, 3 days a week, on those days I was spending 20 minutes checking my forums before work, if I missed something I let the other mods know so they could check for me. On my lunch break I dealt with any emergencies that had come up. When I came home, I did another check of the forums and took part in Admod discussions. If I needed I’d bring up any reports. 
 

The key to being organised is being up front about when you’re less online and when you haven’t had time to do something, so the JFF regulars in Admods can give those threads a quick glance when they’re doing their normal postings. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Janus DarkFox

As a regular JFF member, it’s pretty fun in the comparison of my serious forums I mod and grew up with :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leedle-Lee

:ph34r:

 

*puts shark plushie in the ring*

 

I've always wanted to mod JFF/Arcade, anyway, so...Let's do this!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...