"Biases" in Media Relationships?

Zorua5903

I've noticed recently that I subconsciously tend to prefer lesbian relationships in movies/TV shows and wondered if, as an asexual, possibly greyromantic male, it's because I find it more difficult to see myself in that relationship or relate to it as much as a straight or mlm couple so I end up more invested in the relationship for what it is. (Not that there aren't examples of these relationships that I am also invested in)

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you find yourself leaning towards couples that you can/can't 'relate' to?

BlakeTheNightowl~

OMG AS AN AROACE I HATE SEEING STRAIGHT COUPLES BUT I  LOVE WATCHING GAY COUPLES I SHIP THEM SO HARD ! xD 

AlexTheGrey

OKAY SO I PREFER SEEING GAY COUPLES OVER STRAIGHT COUPLES ANY DAY

BlakeTheNightowl~
Just now, Gregarious Greyscale said:

OMG SAME ^^ 

AlexTheGrey
Just now, Blake23 said:

OMG SAME ^^ 

AHH MOST OF MY FRIENDS AGREE! EXCEPT THE AROACE. HE HATES SEEING COUPLES PERIOD

BlakeTheNightowl~
Just now, Gregarious Greyscale said:

AHH MOST OF MY FRIENDS AGREE! EXCEPT THE AROACE. HE HATES SEEING COUPLES PERIOD

HAHAAH THAT'S AWESOME AND THAT'S UNDERSTANDABLE 

Rhyn Corinn

Well, I'm predictable as usual. I'm heteroromantic and always prefer straight couples in media. Though, I find myself much less invested in any relationship the more it involves sex or sexuality. I have heard that a number of asexual males prefer lesbian couples, so it's definitely not unusual.

I find most straight relationships on screen boring and/or annoying as hell. Some straight couples in movies can be bearable, though. Even cute. But they're few and far between.

1 hour ago, Gregarious Greyscale said:

This, in the order that I prefer no romance over romance, and if there's romance, I prefer seeing lgbt+ characters. Straight romances are ... a little overdone?

Being aro-ace, it's pretty hard to relate to couples in general. I find it easier to understand (not relate to) to sexual relationships, actually, since the concept of sexual attraction is easier to grasp than romance TuT.

My favorite type of relationship, however, are ones that aren't really labeled? Ones where characters just clearly love each other, but don't necessarily fall into a category or romantic and/or sexual.

Blizzard Avis

Dunno honestly, I just like when relationships make sense and have emotions that rise from the story. Everything else is just meh,regardless of the gender of people involved.

6 minutes ago, CBC said:

WHY IS THERE SO MUCH ALL-CAPS IN THIS THREAD.

YES

Alawyn-Aebt
1 hour ago, United Pizza 149 said:

Well, I'm predictable as usual. I'm heteroromantic and always prefer straight couples in media. Though, I find myself much less invested in any relationship the more it involves sex or sexuality.

I'm in that same mindset too. Usually I dislike all relationships in media but there are a few that I can tolerate. Because I am heteromantic this probably impacts it, but I also struggle, especially for male gay relationships, with feeling it to be simply token representation and not furthering the plot at all. I feel that way with most romance in media though, aside from the few I can tolerate.

everywhere and nowhere

I always prefer same-sex relationships in media. For example, I may enjoy a queer romantic comedy. But a straight one... I would avoid seeing one in the first place. No way, straight romantic comedies are nauseatingly boring for me.

Sorry to all straight people, but I usually feel that heterosexuality is kinda boring and also - this is a much more serious matter - tainted by inequality. And so quite a lot of straight romance in media becomes propaganda which tells girls and women that gentle guys are not "real men", that not taking "no" for an answer equals assertiveness, jealousy equals caring for the girl, brutality equals masculinity... And then, "suddenly", people are suprised why can't women "just leave" abusive relationships and they can't understand why do many women enter them in the first place... :angry:

BlakeTheNightowl~

Agreed straight couples are  so over the top and boring and grOSs ^^

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Blake23 said:

Agreed straight couples are  so over the top and boring and grOSs ^^

Mate, stop. You're bordering on elitism and being downright rude. Preferring gay romance? Fine. Calling straight couples gross? Not fine.

Janus the Fox

All relationship dynamics should be respected.  So back to the topic of other biases.  No more elitist remarks from here on, refer to the ToS if unsure.

I didn't know other aces felt the same way about this. I wouldn't sit and watch a hetero romance movie or whatever but if its queer? Then ya, I probs would

It's most likely cause hetero romances have been (dare i say) the norm in media for decades so its so refreshing to see queer people on tv, ya know?

Archived