just a lil something I worry about. all the time

cat mama

hey y'all! for months now I've had this nagging thought that really concerns me every now and again so I thought I'd just... say something about it. and where better than here, amiright?

so I'm definitely not aromantic, I dated someone for three years and for most of the relationship sex wasn't a topic of discussion (we were both super insecure and bad at talking about that kind of stuff. I know now my asexuality is why I was bad at it, not sure about him but WHATEVER off topic) and while it was just about being close with someone & romance & cuddling and all that, it was awesome! being in love was a lot of fun sometimes. that leads to what I worry about, which is potential relationships in the future. like, even if I did start dating someone chances are it would end pretty fast because my s/o would not be getting uuuuh sexually satisfied. so I guess I'm worried about just drifting between quick relationships ending with me awkwardly telling people that I don't want to take things to the natural next step. OR I if I tell someone I like off the bat that I'm ace, any chance of a kind of relationship I'm looking for totally gets crushed. and even if I DO find someone who's asexual, I'm just as worried about having the only thing in common between us being that we're asexual and that doesn't work out either. 

I mean, okay, the REAL problem is that our society has constructed the idea that to be really close with someone you have to be dating and you can't just have a super strong platonic relationship without it being weird to live together/cuddle/kiss, haha?/etc. which is too bad because even if know that, it might be tough to find someone else who feels the same way. and uh oh what if they catch feelings? what if I catch feelings? then it's just awkward.

basically I have a lot on my mind and this is just one big thought dump. feel free to totally ignore all of this! thanks fellas

Hi !

I totally share your concerns, I always have a hard time naviguating human interactions but dating while being asexual really takes the cake ! (I'm bad at puns)

Though that's exactly why I try to take one problem at a time.. Worry about the people I already interact with (even if there's not a lot it's still so much work)

Why are you worrying so much over it ? Is it because you want to find a new relationship already ?

It's a shame PQRs are not more widely spread ! Though sometimes 'best friends' are basically PQRs, like, you can be flatmates and even cuddle a little without it seeming too weird (well from my experience it only applies if you're both supposed straight girls but I'm hoping it can work in other settings..).

Archived