Why do you write it ACE? as in with all caps?

SithLord

I'm a simple person. Grammar rules say full caps means acronym, like AVEN, or yelling in prose writing. Maybe there's another rule, but it's not for abbreviations or nicknames like ace is. You don't write GAY, right? Or even BI. So why would you capitalize ace? 

Every time I see it, I think of the hardware store. But even with the name of that store, it's written "Ace" on places like Google despite the brand name and logo or whatever using all caps. Or I think you're yelling. 

And part of me wonders if it's meant to be disrespectful. I seriously doubt it, but I can't help but wonder why people don't write gay or lesbian or bi or other words the same way. Why just ace?

Alawyn-Aebt

The greatest mystery of our time. When I first was looking more into asexuality I stumbled upon people capitalizing it and could not find an answer why. I suspect someone originally just accidentally kept caps lock on and it was copied. Honestly I have no clue.

Someone find Hercule Poirot.

Honestly, the more I see people capitalize it, the more I want to abandon this community and everything it's ever done for me. It makes me want to quit my job and assume a new identity. It almost makes me want to be a straight woman instead. (Okay, that last one is a bit of a hyperbole.)

Cheshire-Cat

Maybe I don't browse here enough as I've only seen it written as ace not ACE.

@Cheshire-Cat There's a recent thread in the Sexual Partners forum that has it in the title. It's what reminded me that others use it like this too, and some of them semi-frequent posters. 

@CBC Thanks, for finding that thread; I remembered it, too, and was about to search for it and post it, if no one else had.

I've seen some new members post "ace" in all caps; it doesn't bother me, as they're new and, likely, not yet familiar with how others in the community spell it. Perhaps, it's possible they came across the ACE (Adverse Childhood Experiences) test, online--which is capitalized--and mistakenly thought it was the same thing, an "ace test" for asexuality.

Anyway, it's just a harmless mistake.

Anthracite_Impreza

I bet it's like "pwned", where someone writ "owned" wrong and it just got copied over and over again to the point no one (except us) questions it.

Grumpy Alien

IF0yE_copy.jpg

I think of this. Just screaming for emphasis.

MakeupJunkie4

I don't write it that way and I never intend to! I am ace, not ACE. LOL

Alejandrogynous

I have no idea but I hate it. Ace is an abbreviation, not an acronym or a proper noun.

And I also think of the hardware store.

Lord Jade Cross
1 hour ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I bet it's like "pwned", where someone writ "owned" wrong and it just got copied over and over again to the point no one (except us) questions it.

Actually, that was intended to be a type of combination of word "pound" as in beating up and owned as in being owned which was lingo for beating someone in game talk.

On MMOs and such, at least from my very distant memory, you would have key words like "pwoned" "rape train" or "raped" (which had nothing to do with sexual assault mind you), sometimes the word "shanked" would be used, although I imagine they got that from prison shows.

I don't think that it meant anything other than the kids/players trying to sound cool.

Anthracite_Impreza
9 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

Actually, that was intended to be a type of combination of word "pound" as in beating up and owned as in being owned which was lingo for beating someone in game talk.

Really? I read it was a cock up. Live and learn.

Lord Jade Cross
7 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Really? I read it was a cock up. Live and learn.

Guess it depends on who you ask. I imagine outside game territory, it will be seen as nothing more that an incorretly written word, just as two jargons don't usually mix well with one another

I never write it as all caps, but sometimes do capitalize it (for no good reason).

1 minute ago, cAROlyn said:

Maybe someone thought it stood for Asexuals Combating Evil, which is kind of what we do on AVEN.

or causing evil... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Scottthespy

Perhaps it is an acronym... Asexual Celebrating Existence? 

...nah. But yea I've noticed and been confused and annoyed by that too. I think its just people who don't really understand the grammar rules, which, given that American English tends to play fast and loose with said rules, isn't overly surprising.

I blame Android. I've had three phones since I joined AVEN, and they all want to capitalise ace unless I override the prediction. 

Janus the Fox

I’ve written it as Ace the majority of times myself.

Anthracite_Impreza
15 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

or causing evil... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CHAOS :D

Purple Wanderer

I THOUGHT EVERYONE WAS JUST YELLING IT! AAAAAAAAACCCCCEEEEEE! 

23 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

Honestly, the more I see people capitalize it, the more I want to abandon this community and everything it's ever done for me. It makes me want to quit my job and assume a new identity. It almost makes me want to be a straight woman instead. (Okay, that last one is a bit of a hyperbole.)

If I may ask with no assumption of negativity on my end, why do you want to abandon the community?

Unless this whole thing is a joke and I completely missed it. Then I apologize.

28 minutes ago, AceWing said:

If I may ask with no assumption of negativity on my end, why do you want to abandon the community?

Unless this whole thing is a joke and I completely missed it. Then I apologize.

It's about 90% joke 10% serious. :P I definitely don't want to abandon the community, especially not all the people I've met on AVEN, but if all caps "ACE" somehow became enforced as the standard way of referring to the asexual community and asexual people, I would be deterred from identifying as asexual.

Anthracite_Impreza
8 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

It's about 90% joke 10% serious. :P I definitely don't want to abandon the community, especially not all the people I've met on AVEN, but if all caps "ACE" somehow became enforced as the standard way of referring to the asexual community and asexual people, I would be deterred from identifying as asexual.

No one can capitalise your identity.

3 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

No one can capitalise your identity.

If I become famous and die tragically they can capitalize on my identity....

Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

If I become famous and die tragically they can capitalize on my identity....

If you become famous and die tragically they can capitalise on yer face. Unless it was so tragic that is not an option.

10 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

If you become famous and die tragically they can capitalise on yer face. Unless it was so tragic that is not an option.

If my face is terrible mangled in my death, remember me by my nose picking.

Anthracite_Impreza
3 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

If my face is terrible mangled in my death, remember me by my nose picking.

If we remember you for one thing Snao, it will be your nasal evacuation.

Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, CBC said:

Or the geese thing.

Can one pick ones nose with a goose I wonder?

Archived