Petition to Start Forum Where People Can Meet Who Are Looking For QPRs and Alterous Partners/Aromates!

ThatLonelyBookworm

ThatLonelyBookworm

Greetings! My first and so far only alterous partner ending things with me about a month ago and I really want a new partner/ strong human connection void of romance and I bet a lot of other aros/aces do too! Maybe we could make a forum about it. There doesn't seem to be any QPR or alterous "dating" sites, and it hurts my heart to think of all the amazing, spectacular aros and aces who feel swarmed by amatos and allos and who feel alone... 

Let's do something about it as a community!! 

:D 

Signed, 

-Harriet, age 15, aro/ace who feels alone 

I'm assuming you mean one separate from AVEN? I doubt it would be highly populated because of how niche the idea is. Creating a "dating" app just focused on having people meet platonically would be more successful, I imagine. 

AspieAlly613

As the moderator for the Asexual Relationships forum, I'll mention the issues that we'd have to work around:

As I'm sure you've noticed, many people conflate romance, alterous attraction, and sexual interest.  Some of those people are members of national legislative/judicial bodies.  What this means is that from the perspective of the law, if AVEN were to promote, enable, or facilitate alterous or romantic partnerships, they would think that we were promoting, enabling, or facilitating sexual relationships.  

Here's the other issue:  AVEN is open to users as young as 13.  The United States (and many other countries) prohibit encouraging, promoting, enabling, or facilitating sexual relationships involving people that young.  

While it common for friendships of many different types to form between AVEN members, is would be legally questionable for us to designate a forum for members to form non-platonic friendships.

@ThatLonelyBookworm, such a forum couldn't be on AVEN. We are governed by the law of the land where our site is based, in this case the USA, and we have to comply with COPPA laws. Our minimum age to join AVEN is thirteen. again because ad we have (a)sexual and related topics, we have to say nobody younger. The minimum age for any form of dating site is eighteen. 

As the primary resource for people wondering if they are asexual, and given that, for the majority, teenage years is one of the main times in life that people are starting to explore their sexuality, or asexuality we feel that being that resource is more important than acting as a dating site 

Edit, as @AspieAlly613and I were posting at the same time, some of this is duplicated 

ThatLonelyBookworm

I don't know if there are any laws around emotional bonds with people, but I understand it's not something to be taken lightly. Oh, well. Maybe someday in the future someone'll come up with something. :)

2 minutes ago, ThatLonelyBookworm said:

Maybe someday in the future someone'll come up with something. :)

I imagine you can try to come up with a solution. Something separate from AVEN. Maybe look to the asexual subreddits for advice? There are those who are trying to make dating apps that are more aro and ace friendly, but nothing specifically for what you're looking for. 

ThatLonelyBookworm
Just now, SithEmpress said:

I imagine you can try to come up with a solution. Something separate from AVEN. Maybe look to the asexual subreddits for advice? There are those who are trying to make dating apps that are more aro and ace friendly, but nothing specifically for what you're looking for. 

Huh, yeah Reddit could be a good idea. :)

Anyone can start a community group, hobby group etc etc online, so if you did want to start something I'd say go ahead and do it. You don't need a petition.

I think it is a good idea to form some kind of community to find strong friendships. In my opinion the challenge would be the number of AroAce looking for these relationships is very low in a given geographical area, and long distance might be the only the option sometimes. The other challenge is already mentioned: any relationship forming site is viewed as a site facilitating sexual relationships. I bet some allos would creep in and start convincing you to have sex. 

5 hours ago, ThatLonelyBookworm said:

I don't know if there are any laws around emotional bonds with people, but I understand it's not something to be taken lightly. Oh, well. Maybe someday in the future someone'll come up with something. :)

You would have to contend with the same rules as dating sites. Society uses this sort of thing as code for sex, so the law would assume sexual, so 18+. Just like professional cuddlers have to prove they arent prostitutes. 

1 hour ago, KathyHoh said:

I think it is a good idea to form some kind of community to find strong friendships. In my opinion the challenge would be the number of AroAce looking for these relationships is very low in a given geographical area, and long distance might be the only the option sometimes. The other challenge is already mentioned: any relationship forming site is viewed as a site facilitating sexual relationships. I bet some allos would creep in and start convincing you to have sex. 

Good idea.

I agree given the low number of asexual's looking for a QPR is low and would be limited in one geographical. Long distance would be the best option.

Yes, like with any dating site creeps sneak and trolls get in and ruin it :(

Archived