What other precise categories exist under the asexual umbrella?

Morgan Seed

I am aware of the existence of asexuality and demisexuality, but I always wondered if there were other precisely-named groups under the asexuality umbrella. This question is partly due to curiosity and partly to see whether there are other labels that may describe me more accurately than either of those two. 

• Like 1
letusdeleteouraccounts

Demi-sexual is not under the asexual umbrella. Asexual means that the person doesn’t experience sexual attraction. Autochorrisexual falls under this category and cupiosexual is a more controversial one

• Like 4
Morgan Seed
3 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

Demi-sexual is not under the asexual umbrella. Asexual means that the person doesn’t experience sexual attraction. Autochorrisexual falls under this category and cupiosexual is a more controversial one

Sorry, made a mistake about demisexuality. It was the only other one outside of full sexuality I knew. May I ask, what do autochorrisexual and cupiosexual mean?

Anthracite_Impreza

Controversial opinion incoming:

There is no "asexual umbrella". There is asexual, and everything else comes under sexuality.

• Like 5
Janus the Fox

Many categories can exist with Asexuality, it depends which greater detail one wants to look.  Aces can share groups like being romantic, having a libido, experiencing aesthetics attraction, having relationships and that of the gender.  There’s a wide intersectionality within Asexuality when without sexual attraction.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

There is no "asexual umbrella". There is asexual, and everything else comes under sexuality.

I'm going to have to disageee with this. It's called the "asexual umbrella" because if you say put "Asexual" on the left side of a line and "Sexual/Allosexual" on the other side of the line, people who identify within the asexual spectrum/community (cupio, litho/akio, demi, fray, para, just to name a few) feel a HELL of a lot closer to the asexual side of the spectrum than allosexual/not-asexual side. This is why it's called the "asexual umbrella/community."

Anyway, to answer the OP's question:

There's TONS of sub-communities within the ace community. Here's a few:

• Cupiosexual/Kalosexual: (definitions vary slightly but a commonly used one is) a person who doesn't experience sexual attraction but still desires a sexual relationship with someone
  • Parasexual: Not having sexual attraction but wanting to have sex for the sole reason of making babies
  • Fraysexual: The "opposite" of demisexual, experiencing sexual attraction on a regular basis to most strangers but as you get to know them, the attraction fades away
  • Caligosexual: A sub community of greysexual, feeling sexual attraction EXTREMELY rarely (once a year, if that for reference point)
  • Lithosexual/Akiosexual: Experiencing sexual attraction but does NOT want it reciprocated
  • Aegosexual: Being sexually turned on my images/reading material/whatever but feeling detatched from these fantasies
  • Aceflux: feeling like your identity is fluid, but fluid within the asexual spectrum 

This is only a few examples. Language in regards to sexual orientation is changing on a daily basis. 

• Like 6
letusdeleteouraccounts
11 minutes ago, Morgan Seed said:

Sorry, made a mistake about demisexuality. It was the only other one outside of full sexuality I knew. May I ask, what do autochorrisexual and cupiosexual mean?

Autochorrisexual is basically an asexual who experiences arousal towards people without desiring to be sexually intimate with them. Cupiosexual is this idea of a person wanting a sexual relationship but not having any sexual desire towards a particular person

Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, MermaidRomani said:

I'm going to have to disageee with this.

This is why I started with: "Controversial opinion incoming"

None of what you posted to me are orientations at all. They don't describe direction, which is literally what "orientation" means. At best they are add-ons, at worst, completely normal variations that need no separate label, and most aren't asexuality at all.

But anyway, I got more interesting things to do than argue definitions.

• Like 5
Morgan Seed
17 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Controversial opinion incoming:

I can understand why you believe that. I personally don't but fair's fair. 

• Like 2
letusdeleteouraccounts
10 minutes ago, MermaidRomani said:

I'm going to have to disageee with this. It's called the "asexual umbrella" because if you say put "Asexual" on the left side of a line and "Sexual/Allosexual" on the other side of the line, people who identify within the asexual spectrum/community (cupio, litho/akio, demi, fray, para, just to name a few) feel a HELL of a lot closer to the asexual side of the spectrum than allosexual/not-asexual side. This is why it's called the "asexual umbrella/community."

Anyway, to answer the OP's question:

There's TONS of sub-communities within the ace community. Here's a few:

• Cupiosexual/Kalosexual: (definitions vary slightly but a commonly used one is) a person who doesn't experience sexual attraction but still desires a sexual relationship with someone
  • Parasexual: Not having sexual attraction but wanting to have sex for the sole reason of making babies
  • Fraysexual: The "opposite" of demisexual, experiencing sexual attraction on a regular basis to most strangers but as you get to know them, the attraction fades away
  • Caligosexual: A sub community of greysexual, feeling sexual attraction EXTREMELY rarely (once a year, if that for reference point)
  • Lithosexual/Akiosexual: Experiencing sexual attraction but does NOT want it reciprocated
  • Aegosexual: Being sexually turned on my images/reading material/whatever but feeling detatched from these fantasies
  • Aceflux: feeling like your identity is fluid, but fluid within the asexual spectrum 

This is only a few examples. Language in regards to sexual orientation is changing on a daily basis. 

There’s asexual and there’s sexual. The gray-sexual umbrella (including demi, fray, lith, and recipro) is an umbrella of sexual identities, however they fall under the ace community because of that they can relate somewhat to asexuals. Also, having sex just for babies doesn’t affect your sexual identity

• Like 4
Scottthespy

Too many to be helpful, in my opinion. Labels are supposed to easily identify a complex topic with fewer words and to help provide a sense of community for all those who fall under the label. When there are too many labels, people don't learn them all and the first use is lost. When the labels are too specific, the resulting communities become small enough to exacerbate feelings of loneliness instead of helping cure them. I feel as though "I am asexual with these specifications" is a better rout, since it doesn't require everyone to memorize dozens of pseudo-latin labels and allows for a larger community with a variety of personal differences but still that one overarching common denominator. 

• Like 5
Morgan Seed
2 minutes ago, Scottthespy said:

I feel as though "I am asexual with these specifications" is a better rout, since it doesn't require everyone to memorize dozens of pseudo-latin labels and allows for a larger community with a variety of personal differences but still that one overarching common denominator. 

Thanks for your reply. I was just worried in case I (random example) wore the colours of the asexual pride flag at a parade or something and referred to myself as "asexual with these specifications", as I thought it could potentially have insulted somebody who thought I belonged more to another group or skewered what it actually meant to be a full-on asexual. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

So, which is it?

Watch at minute 2:56...

It falls under the gray-ace, which is the asexual umbrella.

Also.. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5102037

Lets have another definition debate... shall we?

Winter-Cattle
2 minutes ago, Scottthespy said:

Too many to be helpful, in my opinion. Labels are supposed to easily identify a complex topic with fewer words and to help provide a sense of community for all those who fall under the label. When there are too many labels, people don't learn them all and the first use is lost. When the labels are too specific, the resulting communities become small enough to exacerbate feelings of loneliness instead of helping cure them. I feel as though "I am asexual with these specifications" is a better rout, since it doesn't require everyone to memorize dozens of pseudo-latin labels and allows for a larger community with a variety of personal differences but still that one overarching common denominator. 

I don't know every word in the dictionary for any of the languages I speak, but I don't believe having to look up a word's definition makes it not helpful (unless someone is clearly just showing off their vocabulary by unnecessarily using extremely uncommon words). I believe people with these identities usually say "ace" or "ace spec" for themselves, apart from in contexts like this forum. I see nothing wrong with having a more specific label to put on the AVEN profile.

Scottthespy
23 minutes ago, Morgan Seed said:

Thanks for your reply. I was just worried in case I (random example) wore the colours of the asexual pride flag at a parade or something and referred to myself as "asexual with these specifications", as I thought it could potentially have insulted somebody who thought I belonged more to another group or skewered what it actually meant to be a full-on asexual. 

Some people are looking to be offended, and will take exception to how you portray yourself and what you say no matter what you do or how careful you are to be inclusive and open minded. These people are not open minded and should not be heeded. If you manage to insult some one without meaning too, and they flat out refuse to take 'i'm so sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, how would you like me to refer to you?' as a a valid apology, that person is most likely to be toxic and bad to be around. If some one tries to tell you that the way you personally identify is some how offensive to others for some reason, that person is not being reasonable and should likewise be avoided. I've heard stories of people calling asexuals transphobic because the ace didn't want to sleep with a transman. I've had people tell me that my personal drive to loose some weight so that my knees stop hurting is 'fatphobic' because me loosing weight made them feel self conscious, whether I was talking about it or not. There are people who aren't interested in actual inclusion and harmony, they just want everyone to agree with and validate their opinion on the matter. Don't be too worried about these people. So long as you're not trying to be offensive and are willing to adjust how you refer to others if they ask politely, you should be fine.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

So, which is it?

See front page... "no means no".

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

I’ll have to jump in here as this topic has become hot, I’d recommend only stating your categories and discourage replying to those statements to avoid debate, these don’t get anywhere and has only caused upset.

• Like 2
Scottthespy
11 minutes ago, Winter-Cattle said:

I don't know every word in the dictionary for any of the languages I speak, but I don't believe having to look up a word's definition makes it not helpful (unless someone is clearly just showing off their vocabulary by unnecessarily using extremely uncommon words). I believe people with these identities usually say "ace" or "ace spec" for themselves, apart from in contexts like this forum. I see nothing wrong with having a more specific label to put on the AVEN profile.

I posted a response to this and then saw a moderator had posted not to do that, so I have deleted that response.

• Like 1
letusdeleteouraccounts
17 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

So, which is it?

Watch at minute 2:56...

It falls under the gray-ace, which is the asexual umbrella.

Also.. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5102037

Lets have another definition debate... shall we?

What are you even going on about? And do you think some video defines the entire ace community?

There are four sexualities: Homosexual, Bisexual, Heterosexual, or Asexual. Pick a side

1 minute ago, Star Lion said:

What are you even going on about? And do you think some video defines the entire ace community?

There are four sexualities: Homosexual, Bisexual, Heterosexual, or Asexual. Pick a side

Sorry, let me go correct the AVEN wiki, wikipedia... and more sources around the interwebs.

letusdeleteouraccounts
2 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

Sorry, let me go correct the AVEN wiki, wikipedia... and more sources around the interwebs.

How about you look up the definition of sexuality while you’re at it. Like what Anthracite said, it’s about who you’re oriented towards (who you have a desire to have sexual intimacy with). The rest are add ons

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Star Lion said:

How about you look up the definition of sexuality while you’re at it. Like what Anthracite said, it’s about who you’re oriented towards (who you have a desire to have sexual intimacy with). The rest are add ons

Sure, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_asexuality

Gray asexuality or gray-sexuality (spelled "grey" in British English) is the spectrum between asexuality and sexuality.[1] Individuals who identify with gray asexuality are referred to as being gray-A, or a gray ace, and make up what is referred to as the "ace umbrella".[2] Within this spectrum are terms such as demisexual, semisexual, asexual-ish and sexual-ish.[3]

Oh no.....

Can we stop with the "Asexual Spectrum" already? It serves to only misrepresent Asexuality (and Asexuals) as a whole in the face of society and the majority of people (including the LGBT+ community).

Asexuality isn't a spectrum, just like how 0 isn't a spectrum (while 1 is Sexuality... a.i. Heterosexuality/Homosexuality/Bisexuality/ect.).

Grey-Sexuality, Demisexuality and so on are on the very low-end of Sexuality, literally between Asexuality and Sexuality.

I blame Tumblr for fucking it all up.

@Morgan Seed

As for Autochorrisexuality, that's a common experience among asexuals (it can happen to sexual people as well, but very rarely).

It basically describes how can an asexual have sexual fantasies (almost always in 3rd person and never involves real people, including the asexual who has the fantasy in question).

@Star Lion is also right to some extend on it but it's rarely used in that context, since most of people doesn't really get it.

• Like 3
Morgan Seed

I feel I may have opened a can of worms here. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my question if this is the case. I lack a wide understanding of asexuality, demisexuality etc and I was just asking a question out of curiosity and to expand my personal knowledge on areas outside of hetero and homosexuality. 

• Like 2
letusdeleteouraccounts
2 minutes ago, Morgan Seed said:

I feel I may have opened a can of worms here. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my question if this is the case. I lack a wide understanding of asexuality, demisexuality etc and I was just asking a question out of curiosity and to expand my personal knowledge on areas outside of hetero and homosexuality. 

None of it is your fault, you asked a simple question and you got a variety of answers. I, personally, got set off and then proceeded to go off so I apologize for doing that under your topic

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Morgan Seed said:

It's fine. It's just that this is a controversial topic on AVEN specifically (there other ones as well, like the sexual attraction definition) as opposite in other asexual sub-communities (that are usually totalitarian in a sense and refuses to discuss this properly).

I also apologise in advance.

• Like 2
Janus the Fox

I’ll have to gave a greenie as a final action on this matter.  Please do no debate a persons chosen identity, this upsets members and does not further any universal agreement in any new definition changes.  I strongly encourage civility in this matter.

Janus DarkFox, Questions about Asexuality & Open Mic Moderator

• Like 2

There's no such thing as an asexual umbrella. Gray-sexuality would still be sexuality. I'm by no means trying to invalidate graysexuals, but this kind of is the reason why people think asexuals still experience sexual attraction while we don't...

• Like 7

Didn’t we have this very conversation about the “asexual spectrum” only a couple of months back and agreed that “asexual umbrella” would be a more appropriate term? 🤔

1 hour ago, Morgan Seed said:

I am aware of the existence of asexuality and demisexuality, but I always wondered if there were other precisely-named groups under the asexuality umbrella. This question is partly due to curiosity and partly to see whether there are other labels that may describe me more accurately than either of those two. 

There’s loads 😊

As people on the asexual spectrum / under the asexual umbrella tend to analyse their attractions in much more detail than people of other orientations a lot of sub-labels have been developed.

I guess technically the main identities are asexual, gray-a/grey(a)sexual and demisexual.

A lot of members have strong opinions on this topic as you can see 😬

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere
1 hour ago, Star Lion said:

I consider demisexual much closer to asexuality than "cupiosexual", at least as I understand it (and to me it seems that "cupiosexual" is exactly that "desire without attraction" stuff).

Generally, I very much agree with what @Anthracite_Impreza wrote in a topic about cupiosexuality: that he really wouldn't have any issues with cupiosexuality if people stopped claiming that it's "asexual or on the spectrum".

• Like 1