How to deal with body image problems

dlt

Hello, Iam a cis female but I deal with body image problems, particularly with breasts and butt. Although I'm small chested i do feel repulsed sometimes when i wear T-shirts. Every time i look at them they just give me strange sexual vibe?? I don't like to feel like a sexual being. I mean they're kinda pointless for me (as an ace and someone who doesn't want kids). Also, my butt is a bit big (due to being a pear shape), it does bother me when i look into the mirror, otherwise iam fine with my thighs and hips (from the front only, cause its all fats at the back)... I feel the worst when my period starts, I feel too repulsed with my body parts. I wonder if all this also has to do with low self-esteem??? Is there any way to deal with this?? any style of clothing that would help with issue??

Thank you  🙂

Hey Malika!

Welcome to AVEN ❤️

Body image problems are tough!!! I get you!

I think so much about our bodies, esp. as females, have been over-sexualised in modern times. I remember when I was at school going through puberty, I developed curves early, but because I wasn't very sexual I didn't ever make any sexual links regarding my body shape. My friend suddenly said out of nowhere, "Wow you would have the perfect body of a slut!" and it changed how I viewed my body.

Since then I've tried to focus less on what's sexual about the body, and instead focus on the timeless beauty - this was a coping technique that worked for me. I looked at ancient Greek and Roman sculptures where women's bodies were depicted as art. To me those are beautiful and even now it's considered 'classic' as opposed to 'sexual'.

Nevertheless I still have a lot of insecurities with my body and that's totally natural. I feel like a bloat like crazy when I have my period and I can't stand the bare sight of it.

I wear a lot of baggy clothes, oversized tees with boyfriend jeans is my go-to look. It's relatively gender-neutral too. I still get comments about how I should "flaunt" my figure more though. I'm hoping one day I'll be able to, but for now dressing like Billy Eilish but without the branded clothing is a pretty easy go-to 🙂 

Guest Ca$hrina
3 hours ago, Gldlynch said:

My friend suddenly said out of nowhere, "Wow you would have the perfect body of a slut!"

Wow. What a "friend".

Since then I've tried to focus less on what's sexual about the body, and instead focus on the timeless beauty - this was a coping technique that worked for me. I looked at ancient Greek and Roman sculptures where women's bodies were depicted as art. To me those are beautiful and even now it's considered 'classic' as opposed to 'sexual'.

I do the same! I love the statues of Athena.

Working on your body helps. Building up muscle, getting into a sport, testing your limits and strength. These make me feel proud of myself.

I wear a lot of baggy clothes, oversized tees with boyfriend jeans is my go-to look. It's relatively gender-neutral too. I still get comments about how I should "flaunt" my figure more though. I'm hoping one day I'll be able to, but for now dressing like Billy Eilish but without the branded clothing is a pretty easy go-to 🙂 

Me too.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:44 AM, Ca$hrina said:

I do the same! I love the statues of Athena.

Working on your body helps. Building up muscle, getting into a sport, testing your limits and strength. These make me feel proud of myself.

I love her too! So much that I ended up ordering Starbucks etc under "Athena" - I still do this today haha.

But yeah, getting physical is a good way to build strength as well as confidence 🙂

Currently I'm working on my "back profile" ... I didn't know that was even a thing until a person brought it up ugh.

On 4/12/2020 at 6:14 AM, Ca$hrina said:

What is that?

Basically what a person looks like from their behind 🙂

Archived