Thank goodness for AVEN (-:

falling_piano

falling_piano

Seriously. It's took me a while to get around to joining and even longer to post anything (kinda new to forums), but the info on this website and the work AVEN does has helped me so much already. I found it so reassuring that this whole community exists and share experiences similar to my own, that was kind of enough, but hey - support networks are good and everyone on here seems lovely (-:

I'm very lucky to have an ace friend who has been very informed on the subject for a long time. I went with them the UK Asexuality Conference last year with a friend while I was still figuring out whether the label applied to me, and it helped so much (as well as being a really interesting and fun time in general). The extra self-knowledge, communication tools have been a huge help already, and having a word for my experience makes it so much easier to not second-guess everything.

I've gone back and forward on whether I'm demi-ace, grey-ace or ace (leaning towards ace now) and romantic, demiromantic or basically aromantic but willing to do romance if someone I like enough wants to do it with me. But I don't think it really matters, since the takeaway is still definitely that friendships are the most important thing. Queerplatonic relationships seem like a pretty useful idea, since they give me a way to say 'this friendship is very important, and also cuddling may happen', although normalising that kind of thing between people who are 'just friends' is also great so I guess it doesn't matter that much right now. It's all about good communication anyway.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks! :cake:

Hi and welcome! :):cake: It's great to hear that you have benefited so much from what AVEN has to offer. I come here mostly for social reasons/to spew out thoughts without needing people to listen, but reading things like this reminds me how much else I've likely contributed here over the years. It's also great to see that the UK conferences have been so successful. Alas, I am located within the shell of the British empire rather than Great Britain itself, so I have not been able to attend such conferences, but I've seen some of the planning that goes into them by working on the Project Team, and I've had the pleasure of meeting other UK members at international meetups (sometimes even with knives involved).

I hope you have a blast on the forums. In times like these where we are forced to limit in-person interaction, online spaces like AVEN are a treasure. The UK ace meetup scene is so active that hopefully once public health precautions simmer down you will be able to attend all the live meetups you're comfortable with, including future conferences!

MakeupJunkie4

Hi and welcome! Always good to see new people joining and finding themselves! :) 🍰

Welcome! Hey from Gatport Airwick :D 

rainbow+wedding+cake+7.jpg

Welcome to AVEN, the Ace Haven! Cue the cake!

[Edit: As soon as I submitted this post and looked at that teeny tiny ace flag again, the first thought that popped into my brain was 'I must have one of those! They're so cute!']

See the source image

• 2 weeks later...
falling_piano

Thanks all! I'm hoping to get involved in the UK community a little bit, once public meetups are possible again. Has anyone had any experience of meetups organised via the forums? Or know of any cool ways people are connecting online in the absence of that?

Archived