Keyboard Layout Poll

R_1

AVEN Census to Keyboard Layout  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which keyboard layout do you use as a main?

• QWERTY
    • DVORAK
    • COLEMAK
    • WORKMAN
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Which keyboard layout do you use as a main?

The first one. I hadn't heard of the last two.

Did you know that the QWERTY layout was created in the days of typewriters to slow down fast typists who might otherwise jam the typing lugs?

Qwerty

I have heard of the others but have not seen any of them in action

3 hours ago, Jon A. said:

The first one. I hadn't heard of the last two.

Did you know that the QWERTY layout was created in the days of typewriters to slow down fast typists who might otherwise jam the typing lugs?

I did know that fact.

Not heard of the others.

I was taught on QWERTY and I'm not enough of a snob to change it. I'm familiar with Dvorak but not the other types mentioned.

QWERTZ

I think the poll should have included AZERTY and QWERTZ because there are some countries where one of those is the norm rather than QWERTY.

Anthracite_Impreza

I had no idea there were keyboards other than qwerty...

18 hours ago, Homer said:

QWERTZ

Same here.

I'm not smart enough to learn Dvorak. I leaned the Cyrillic keyboard pretty handily though, so I should be able to survive in a sudden change, but I don't use homekeys anyway so it is kinda relative.

QWERTY., but I agree that different languages have similar layouts 

Do people use DVORAK for writing music? 😋😋

Duke Memphis

QWERTY for me, although I don't get why keyboards aren't just in alphabetical order.

Janus the Fox
13 hours ago, Duke Memphis said:

QWERTY for me, although I don't get why keyboards aren't just in alphabetical order.

There’s a history with typewriters going back to the 1870s.  It was alphabetical and numerical order, but was rearranged in a way that the most commonly used letters where closer in one area than others spaced out to accommodate both hands, noticing the placement of vowels for example.  There’s slight variations with languages and with the advent of computers, developed into what has become second nature for the majority able to type into this very Forum :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY

J. van Deijck

I personally use QWERTY, but the main layout in my country is AZERTY.

J. van Deijck
On 4/4/2020 at 12:10 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I had no idea there were keyboards other than qwerty...

There are. QWERTZ for Germany, AZERTY for France and Belgium. :D

edit: @Ortac am I right about France?

@Jelle van der Lee, yays for getting the joke 🎂 🎂 

18 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

There are. QWERTZ for Germany, AZERTY for France and Belgium. :D

edit: @Ortac am I right about France?

QWERTZ is also the standard layout in Switzerland and Austria as well as Germany.

France and Belgium do indeed use the slightly weird AZERTY. You may well wonder why I say it is slightly weird. Well, despite it being the standard French keyboard layout ever since the days of mechanical typewriters, it is not particurly well suited to typing in French.

There are some people in France, especially foreign immigrants who are more used to QWERTY, who prefer instead to get a Portuguese QWERTY keyboard for their computer.

Portuguese keyboards have all the accents and special characters that are needed to type in French, and rather crazily, it is easier to type in French using a Portuguese keyboard than it is using a French keyboard.

J. van Deijck
5 hours ago, Ortac said:

QWERTZ is also the standard layout in Switzerland and Austria as well as Germany.

Indeed :o and Hungary, if my research was correct.

5 hours ago, Ortac said:

France and Belgium do indeed use the slightly weird AZERTY.

So I was right. The Flemish people also use AZERTY., even though their first language is Dutch. :D

I have the Polish QWERTY in my laptop since it was bought in Poland. I'm used to this layout and the AZERTY of my Belgian friend drives me nuts :lol: the same way he's getting lost every time he tries to use my computer.

5 hours ago, Ortac said:

Portuguese keyboards have all the accents and special characters that are needed to type in French, and rather crazily, it is easier to type in French using a Portuguese keyboard than it is using a French keyboard.

Now, this is an interesting information that I didn't know before. Thanks! :D

21 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Jelle van der Lee, yays for getting the joke 🎂 🎂 

*thinks*

@Jelle van der Lee, I thought you'd got it DVORAK as well as being a keyboard layout, is the name of a classical composer, most famous for the New World Symphony 

J. van Deijck
4 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Jelle van der Lee, I thought you'd got it DVORAK as well as being a keyboard layout, is the name of a classical composer, most famous for the New World Symphony 

Ah, that :D indeed I did, but once I was actually looking for corelation :D

• 2 months later...
RandomPotato02

QWERTZ, that's basically QWERTY with y and z swappend and all the symbols messed up.

• 1 month later...

AZERTY

More specifically, have my whole keyboard:

AZERTYUIOP^$

QSDFGHJKLMù*

WXCVBN,;:!

I've used American, Japanese, and German keyboards. The American and Japanese ones are similar with small differences, but I remember the German one giving me a hard time. 

But I've only heard of the QWERTY layout. Would be interested in the others and why they're used. 

• 9 months later...

@R_1

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived