Is sexually fluid under the Asexual umbrella?

SuspiciousFish5

SuspiciousFish5

So my sister recently told me that she identifies as sexually fluid and as she was describing it to me she mentioned how sometimes it led her to feel no sexual attraction. I know I've read in places that some people choose to define asexuality as sometimes or never expressing sexual attraction and was curious whether or not others would agree with my assessment that sexually fluid would fit under the grey side of asexuality. I tried a quick search of here and online and saw nothing discussing this so I was curious. Also my sister kinda wants to know about others out there who identify as sexually fluid.

SuspiciousFish5

Yeah I guess that makes sense, to me the way she described it felt more of like how some grey asexuals describe their orientation.

Aceflux- Sexuality fluctuates but for some people (like me) usually stays on the asexual spectrum.

1 hour ago, Meow Cat said:

Aceflux- Sexuality fluctuates but for some people (like me) usually stays on the asexual spectrum.

How often would that sexuality "shift" from one state to another?

Janus the Fox

There’s a wide interpretation on the fluidity between Sexual and Asexual.  Of course, nobody is going to experience sexual attraction or desire every single day or all day for which would be rather normal and typical of most of the whole Sexuality spectrum.

I’ll move this to The Grey Area, Sex and Related Discussions for a better answer.

Janus DarkFox, Questions about Asexuality & Open Mic Moderator

Anthracite_Impreza

No. This watering down of asexuality is completely unfair to those of us who never experience sexual desire and want to find a place we don't feel broken. Please stop co-opting our one place to do so.

That's more in the realm of opinion. Depends on how you define your terms. The people above answering with definite no's would probably say that the spectrum from asexuality to sexuality should be called the 'sexual spectrum,' and that it doesn't make sense to separate the asexual part of that spectrum into its own asexual spectrum or asexual umbrella.

In my opinion, I think it depends on how fluid and how far out of the normal range your sister's sexuality is. 

Grey-sexuality is very hard to define, because a lot of very different experiences fall under that definition, but the one that has stuck with me went something like: Someone who, despite not being completely asexual, can relate more to asexuals than to sexuals in terms of how they experience their (lack of) sexuality.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2020 at 8:53 PM, Homer said:

How often would that sexuality "shift" from one state to another?

It depends, sometimes it's days, weeks or even hours.

4 hours ago, Meow Cat said:

It depends, sometimes it's days, weeks or even hours.

I don't see how that would be considered asexuality. Sexual people do not think about sex all the time. The fact that you're not eating meat 24/7 does not put you on the "vegetarian spectrum". What you're describing sounds like an average sexual experience to me.

The fluid should be above the umbrella. If it gets under the umbrella it's either very windy or you need to buy a new umbrella.

On 4/3/2020 at 1:57 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

No. This watering down of asexuality is completely unfair to those of us who never experience sexual desire and want to find a place we don't feel broken. Please stop co-opting our one place to do so.

Oh, Antra, I admire your stubborness... but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

Archived