3 month relationship limit

gingeroftheday

gingeroftheday

I read the other day that a psychologist wrote most relationships end at 3 months because that is the limit of long typically someone can lie to themselves about something that deep, i of course dont believe there is any concrete evidence on the matter, however Ive had 4 relationships, none that lasted longer than 3 months, 2 of them lasting exactly 3 months. all of them before i realized i was asexual. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Lord Jade Cross
55 minutes ago, gingeroftheday said:

I read the other day that a psychologist wrote most relationships end at 3 months because that is the limit of long typically someone can lie to themselves about something that deep

Who is this quack that wrote this? Because I have seen more than enough cases of gay men pretended to be straight, raising kids, the whole nine years to come out years, if not decades later saying they can no longer keep up lying in the last 18 years alone

gingeroftheday
4 minutes ago, CBC said:

Was the psychologist even referring specifically to people who aren't being true to their sexual orientation? 

They were talking about in general, doesnt have to be sexual orientation. If the person was struggling with a relationship because of commitment issues, they still would be likely to fail in the relationship by three months, accordion to the psychologist. Its not about sexual orientation specifically, any personal battle.

I, personally, think it's a good thing for people to end relationships within three months. If it ain't working it ain't worth it. 

Lord Jade Cross

I'm guessing this is more ignorance on my part than anything but how is 3 months adequately enough time to know a person?

At the bare minimum, know someone for at least a year before putting a ring on their finger (if they have any fingers, I lost most of mine, yet I find it comedic; crying causes dehydration, so learn to laugh instead).

Duke Memphis

I've only had one romantic relationship, and that lasted almost a year. I came out to her roughly a month into the relationship, and she was fine with it when I explained to her. We broke up because she felt the connection wasn't there anymore, or at least as strong as it used to be.

9 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

I'm guessing this is more ignorance on my part than anything but how is 3 months adequately enough time to know a person?

People can get a sense of whether the relationship has the potential to go anywhere. Nobody is obligated, legally or morally, to give a partner more time to "get to know the real them" or whatever. 

Lord Jade Cross
1 hour ago, Snao Cone said:

People can get a sense of whether the relationship has the potential to go anywhere. Nobody is obligated, legally or morally, to give a partner more time to "get to know the real them" or whatever. 

I didn't say that anyone is obligated to do anything; just that to me, it seemed like a small amount of time.

WanderingKate

Interesting. While I'm curious where this number comes from (why not 4 months? or 2 months?) ...it does ring true for me. The only sexual relationships I've had each lasted about 2 or 3 months before I hit my breaking point and had to be honest with myself and realize I was miserable. 

gingeroftheday

For everyone replying, no i dont think this is a credible source and yes i think it is easily debunked. But i think it is interesting to hear if anyone else shares the same experiences ive had, where three months tends to be my breaking point.

SnowflowerMV

I have had several relationships that are about this long too. Usually the first month is super fun...getting to know each other and all the NRE (new relationship energy), the second month I start to feel that it’s not right, and finally break up in the third month.

Archived