• 1. Waffles 2. Pancakes 3. French toast
    • 1. Waffles 2. French toast 3. Pancakes
    • Waffles only
    • 1. French toast 2. Pancakes 3. Waffles
    • 1. French toast 2. Waffles 3. Pancakes
    • French toast only

This poll is closed to new votes

everywhere and nowhere

Once again: please, provide photos, because otherwise I'm not sure what kind of pancakes, toasts and waffles is meant!

What are French toasts?

Is this meant by "waffles":

330px-Waffle_DSC00575.jpg?

What kind of "pancakes" is meant? Thick and small American pancakes, thin and large French pancakes, or maybe omelettes?

Grumpy Alien

Pancakes > French toast > waffles

HOWEVER

They’re all amazing. 

Except the sad crepes most of Europe calls pancakes and those weird potato “waffles.”

It's tough to decide, there are so many variables, i.e. topping and/or flavour and whether I have to prepare them myself. If I don't have to, then surprise me. I'm easy to please in that regard; I'm basically a human garburetor.

1 hour ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Once again: please, provide photos, because otherwise I'm not sure what kind of pancakes, toasts and waffles is meant!

What are French toasts?

Is this meant by "waffles":

330px-Waffle_DSC00575.jpg?

What kind of "pancakes" is meant? Thick and small American pancakes, thin and large French pancakes, or maybe omelettes?

My input may not be helpful since I'm not the OP but I'd just go with what you view as a pancake or waffle. We're probably not all picturing the same thing. What one person considers a pancake, I might deem a crepe. As someone in the US, this is what I'm picturing:

Waffles:

2020-belgian-style-waffles-16700-600x600

Pancakes:

1562853903667.jpg

French Toast:

image.jpg

Duke Memphis

Doo doo doo doo, can't wait to get a mouthful!

5 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I do actually, in butter which truly compliments the flavor. I do mine with bread that isn't sliced. I like my slices very thick. Doesn't really matter, though (I just find they wind up better).

So I "pan fry them until golden" in butter, then lay them on a pan and bake for about 10 minutes. I personally, prefer to flip them mid-way. I pre-heat the oven while frying at 400 degrees. I find that with thick slices, it just makes it better as the batter soaks through.

Right recipe to me, should be delicious on its own. The allspice and cinnamon truly make the best recipes to me.

Thanks! I will have to try that next time I make some. Sounds delicious. :) 

1 hour ago, bobbypin said:

As someone in the US, this is what I'm picturing

Same here (also in the US).

2 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

What are French toasts?

Pieces of bread/toast, dipped in mixture of eggs, milk, and some spices (nutmeg or cinnamon or the like), and a bit of vanilla extract, then fried (and sometimes fried and baked as @Perspektiv has taught me). 

Thin large French pancakes are what I'd call crepes. Pancakes, to me, are fluffier, but can be small or large (anywhere from a few centimeters across to almost as big as a plate, although usually somewhere between those extremes). When I think of pancakes I usually don't think of potato pancakes (that really requires the "potato" modifier for me, not being used to potato pancakes).

The trouble with waffles is you need a special appliance to make them. 

4 hours ago, bobbypin said:

My input may not be helpful since I'm not the OP but I'd just go with what you view as a pancake or waffle. We're probably not all picturing the same thing. What one person considers a pancake, I might deem a crepe. As someone in the US, this is what I'm picturing:

Waffles:

2020-belgian-style-waffles-16700-600x600

Pancakes:

1562853903667.jpg

French Toast:

image.jpg

That is it basically

5 hours ago, daveb said:

Thanks! I will have to try that next time I make some. Sounds delicious. :) 

Anytime!

I basically found this recipe, and tweaked it to my own tastes. It is delicious on its own and the result are the same fluffy French toast.

everywhere and nowhere
8 hours ago, daveb said:

It's possible to make waffles without this kind of appliance. There are silicone forms available, they can be washed after use and therefore used multiple times instead of the appliance ("gofrownica" in Polish).

So my vote is probably pancakes > waffles > French toast. But I perceive none of them as a breakfast. Waffles are a dessert, pancakes and French toasts (in a larger quantity) - a dinner dish. I usually eat sandwiches with vegetable spreads for breakfast, sometimes sandwiches with honey, toasts with cheese (however, I hate toast bread, I instead use a kind of long bun cut in slices - similar to a much thicker baguette. Known as "Wrocław bun" in Poland*) or cereals.

*This is a Wrocław bun. It can be also bought sliced, which is comfortable, because I'm too double-left-handed to cut it in slices which aren't much too thick.

wroc%C5%82awska_3.jpg

3 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

the appliance ("gofrownica" in Polish).

Ha! It's right there in the name "go frown". :lol: 

(I didn't know about silicone molds for waffles - are they double-sided or single?)

I've heard people outside of the US tradition saying they don't think of these (French toast, pancakes, waffles) as breakfast foods, but they very much are breakfast foods in the US. To the extent some restaurants don't serve them past 10 AM or Noon or whenever they stop serving breakfast and switch to their lunch menus).

everywhere and nowhere
2 hours ago, daveb said:

(I didn't know about silicone molds for waffles - are they double-sided or single?)

I don't know, I have never tried them out. But I know that they exist.

Edit: it seems that at least some are double-sided. The waffles are then baked in an oven.

foremki-do-gofro-CC-81w.jpg

Pancakes - French Toast - Waffles but all are delicious. By pancakes I mean crepes, those small fat american pancake things are nice enough but would be at the bottom of the list.

SpaceDustbin

1. French toast, 2. waffles, 3. pancakes

I love pancakes, but French toast and waffles are somehow a bit more fancy :D 

16 hours ago, Mackenzie Holiday said:

3v7150.jpg

Been thinking about this too

French toast>pancakes>waffles

J. van Deijck

Love all of them, but waffles win. 

1037-flag-of-belgium.png

J. van Deijck
On 4/3/2020 at 8:03 PM, theV0ID said:

By pancakes I mean crepes

Second that. I also like poffertjes.

Waffles.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Waffles.

Come on, make up your mind! :P 

1 minute ago, daveb said:

Come on, make up your mind! :P 

LOL real life Homer isn't even a huge fan of Donuts :D 

J. van Deijck
On 4/3/2020 at 5:27 AM, daveb said:

True that. 🤫 While I can't really see it in any other country, it's just very normal and typical for every Belgian house to have a special equipment for making waffles. (And an air fryer of course because fries :P)

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck
2 hours ago, CBC said:

Can anyone who speaks Dutch confirm that this is true?

C657-EB6-B-41-DE-4-A59-A341-9-BDCF982420

I asked my housemate. He confirms it's true 😂

• 1 year later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived