an encouraging encounter

weird elf

So last week I went to the doctor's office to get bloodwork done. Obviously due to the current situation the place was in emergency mode, everyone wearing masks, half the number of chairs in the waiting room, spaced far apart, all kinds of signs up everywhere.

Then as I was in with the assistant we got to talking. Work, stay-at-home orders, what to do with time on one's hands. They said they'd rather go to work than be at home all day having to watch kids, then asked about my family situation.

I didn't say much. I said I was childless, and as they asked about a partner I said there wasn't one, and why. I basically dropped one keyword and - they understood. More than that, they went straight into a sympathetic mini-rant about how there was so much more to a relationship than (they didn't get explicit, but made it very clear in a gesture that they meant sex), and if people didn't understand that, they weren't worth it. Basically echoing my own stance on the matter.

I was blown away. This was a complete stranger. I didn't go into detail at all. So far, whenever I tried to explain to people, I was met with scepticism or "well-meaning advice", suggestions how to "fix things" and all that jazz, and this complete stranger was 100% sympathetic, no questions asked. I have never encountered this level of understanding before and frankly, days later, I'm still amazed and I wanted to share that with you guys.

Understanding is actually possible. I would not have believed it, but there it is. So I guess, maybe, there's hope.

Rhyn Corinn

Thank you for sharing. That brightened up my day too! 

"I said I was childless, and as they asked about a partner I said there wasn't one, and why."  Yeah, but then again, why were they being the Spanish Inquisition?

It's called small talk. They had told me about their current situation too.

If I could verify that this is the first time any ace has had such an experience, I'd say you made history. You must have come pretty darn close at least.

Sure felt like it XD

Lord Jade Cross

-Desire to visit doctor's office suddenly imtensifies-

2 hours ago, Jon A. said:

If I could verify that this is the first time any ace has had such an experience, I'd say you made history. You must have come pretty darn close at least.

I agree! When I was in the US military the medic would always give me an odd look when I said I was not sexual active, and I was not dating or in a relationship.

Archived