Poll on Age and Sexual Attraction

Auratian

Age and sexual attraction?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What period does sexual attraction usually begin? (feel free to select multiple)

• 7-10 yrs
    • 10-13 yrs
    • 13-16 yrs
    • 16-19 yrs
    • 20+ yrs
    • I wouldn't know, lol
    • When wouldn't you?
    • (other)
  2. 2. What age is not experiencing sexual attraction most 'weird', to people in general (feel free to select multiple)

• 13-16 yrs
    • 16-19 yrs
    • 20-25 yrs
    • 25-30 yrs
    • 30-35 yrs
    • 35-40 yrs
    • 40-45 yrs
    • 45+ yrs
    • It's never weird to most people
    • It's always weird, and/but not worse at a certain age
    • (other)
  3. 3. Would you rather:

• Cake
    • Cake, except for a few rare times
    • Sex
    • (other)
  4. 4. Age-ish?

• ~15
    • ~20
    • ~30
    • ~40
    • ~50
    • ~60
    • 60+
    • Rather not say
    • I forgot

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a poll that I thought could be interesting for myself and people that don't understand the feeling of allosexuals' attraction quite as much as they would like. Keep hydrated and stay safe!

Janus the Fox

Moved to Census Forum

Janus DarkFox, Questions about Asexuality & Open Mic Moderator

@Auratian, firstly, don't be disheartened if you don't get a huge response to questions 1 & 2, most here can't speak from experience 😋😋

I'm one who can't give an accurate answer to them 

Q3 Cars are better than cake and sex (tagging @Anthracite_Impreza)

Q4. 48

LOL "I forgot" :lol: 

1) Either 7-10 years old or 10-13. In the US, most people seem to develop those kinds of feelings in middle school (11 - 14 years old). For a lot of people where I grew up, puberty began in the last 2 years of elementary school (9 - 11 years old). I can't say for sure that anyone started feeling sexual attraction in those earlier years (especially as an ace), but it's possible considering that's when people started dating and I had a lot of ace moment interactions with others.

2) For a lot of allos, it's always weird. If I had to give a specific age range of when it's weirdest, I suppose 16-25; this is when most people have gone through the bulk of their adolescence and are still heavily socialized through school. Some people might even consider it a highlight of the college experience.

3) Cake. No question.

4) 19

Grumpy Alien

Background info: I’m 27 and sexual. I first experienced sexual attraction in my early 20s. I think I was 24? When I met my now husband.

1. Generally between 10-20. It varies.

2. I think most people would find it “abnormal” if you’re over 20 and don’t experience sexual attraction. Though I also think younger people mistakenly believe anyone 45+ becomes less and less sexual by the day and that it’s “weird” or “gross” for them to experience sexual attraction.

3. Depends... Do I get to pick the partner and what kind of cake?

4. I’m 27 and turn 28 this year so I answered ~30.

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

Q3 Cars are better than cake and sex (tagging @Anthracite_Impreza)

Cars > everything else.

13-19 would be when a lot of people begin sexual attraction 

16-19 it would begin to seem odd to peers if you dont

But... I'm 33 and only experienced sexual attraction at 30. So *shrug* 

Janus the Fox

An opinion poll here so I can say...

Perhaps sexual attraction begins very early on, like 5 years of age, ones awareness of it can happen at any age if it happens at all.

Not experiencing sexual attraction at it's weirdest, really depends what's expected by a persons culture and their piers.  A focus on weirdness can be as early as 15, while ageing older without experiencing it can sound pretty weird to others in given circumstances.

I'd rather cake... or foxes rather than sex hehe :P

I'm in my 30's

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, KrysLost said:

Ok...but like cars with mecha cat ears. 

I despise cats, so no, absolutely not.

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, KrysLost said:

Wow. Any reason you hate them? 

They're nasty bastards who despise me back, but I don't think this is the right thread for this discussion.

I recognize that I/we are in a minority. It isn't convenient for us, but it is a truth, regardless of age. The difference is that older people have more experience to judge.

I answered question 1 & 2 not in the sense that I experienced it but what I guess a majority of people would or what I observed in my friends as a teen. I'm over thirty and only now realising that my personal experience with sexual attraction is probably not the same as that of the general majority.

But as far as I know, sexual attraction starts somewhere in your teenage years, for some earlier, for some later. I also guess it's the time you'd feel most weird (if ever) if you realise that you don't actually experience sexual attraction. Maybe it's due to my wonderful friends at the time (some of them even being my wonderful friends to this day) that I didn't have to feel that way - they just seemed to accept that I was reticent in that respect.

I remember reading that sexual attraction can begin really early in life. Maybe even earlier than that 7-10 age range. It’s just that some people don’t know what that attraction means or have the words at those ages. They might not have thought about or explored it yet. I’m not really sure how to answer #2. I’d rather have cake. I’m 35. 

I rate sexual attraction beginning around age 13-15, but after some experimenting with sexuality I knew I didn't feel it by 17 and I was pretty damn sure by 20.

• 1 month later...
GingerRose

I can't compare cake and sex because I've only ever had one.

I think the question about when lack of sexual attraction becomes "weird" interesting.

I think it can be hard if you are in your teens, for sure.  However, lots of people don't date at that age, for a variety of reasons.  On the other hand, you're probably most likely to be dismissed at this age; "you're still young; you'll find someone" is easy to say when someone's in high school.

I think it starts becoming a little bit more obviously odd when you get into your 20s and 30s, because then you have full liberty (financial, family, etc.) to date, and yet...  you're not.  And everyone else around you starts dating and getting married and potentially having children.  You are the odd man out.  What's up with you?

But I definitely think after a certain point, like after the age of 40, if you're still single, people around you are more likely to accept it?  I mean, at that point, if you were interested in getting hitched, you would have.  And it's not uncommon at that age for sexual people to get divorced and decide they're staying out of the dating scene, too.  More company, even if it's for different reasons.

As for when kids start feeling attraction--I think there's definitely a gender divide.  There were a few girls in 5th/6th grade who were interested in boys.  The guys at that age were pretty clueless.  Middle school is when I think the lights come on.

• 10 months later...

@Auratian.

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived