Dorm Fornication

GayShayy

I have to go to the kitchen in my dorm a lot because my roommate owned the minifridge and moved out with everyone else due to COVID-19. I really have no problem with this except the people in room right outside of the kitchen/lobby are literally always having sex. It seems that every time I go to the kitchen for pizza rolls or to get some water, they're always at it. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable as I'm sure it would anybody else regardless of their sexual orientation. I know it is their business what they do in private, but is it private if the people in the public area can hear everything?

I'm mostly just upset because I can no longer watch Family Feud in the lobby in peace without unexpected *noises* coming from the room about 5 feet away. Not to mention I also go to the lobby to do my homework 😕 I can't report it because there are literally only maybe 5 people in this building, none being supervisors or RAs. Also, I'm pretty sure I am the only other person on this entire floor. (the only person that has to suffer through this pain). However, I am glad that my room is a bit further away so I can't hear it unless I go down the hallway. If my room was in ear-shot I would definitely be way more upset.

As a sex-adverse individual I am truly horrified, but I don't think it's my place to kill their vibes.

But come on man. I'm so uncomfortable.

letusdeleteouraccounts

You could knock on their door while they’re at it to let them know that they’re being loud. Just be polite about it though

8 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

You could knock on their door while they’re at it to let them know that they’re being loud. Just be polite about it though

Yeah, I think I'll just leave a note on their door or whatever asking them to be quieter if I hear them again.

People should really be conscious of their effects on their neighbors. It isn't your fault for getting bothered. Dorms are close spaces that require a lot of communication and understanding.

I think another solution I may try is just moving my stuff from the fridge on my floor to the fridge on the 3rd or 5th floor. An avoidance tactic.

1 hour ago, Star Lion said:

Why not just knock on the door and say, "Stick it in already, damn it!"?

Yell at full volume “hey could you be a bit louder, I’m trying to get off to this” see if that makes them uncomfortable :P 

Seriously though, leaving passive aggressive notes is usually a good way to go. Worked for me anyways :D 

Ms. Carolynne

I used to share my room with a family friend, and he had sex with his then girlfriend in my room. One night I got home early from work, and basically walked in on them. Luckily I didn't see anything.

They also woke up my older brother, whose room is beneath mine.

People really should use some discretion with this stuff, and maybe find somewhere a little more private.

He moved out a few years ago though, as they got married.

hypnopompic

You know what usually does the trick? Positioning yourself right in front of their bedroom door and when they're being especially loud, you moan in such a high-pitched and exaggerated way it sounds ridiculous. That makes them freeze in horror. Worked for me every single time 😎

On 3/29/2020 at 3:35 PM, hypnopompic said:

You know what usually does the trick? Positioning yourself right in front of their bedroom door and when they're being especially loud, you moan in such a high-pitched and exaggerated way it sounds ridiculous. That makes them freeze in horror. Worked for me every single time 😎

oh god that would be petrifying for both of them and myself 😱😨

hypnopompic
6 minutes ago, GayShayy said:

Yes, I also felt strange and uncomfortable the first time but living with 7 very sexually active roommates for 9 months made me lose my inhibitions pretty fast 😅

WanderingKate

When I was in college I had a very similar situation to yours one weekend, except instead of loud sex it was a loud party right down the hallway. 

Earplugs are always an option and a very viable one. 

Otherwise, if it's constant and...shall we say graphic? And really bothering you, you could just politely knock on the door and ask them to quiet down, or leave a note on the door, as others have suggested. If you're really nervous about saying something to them (I also hate confrontation and will avoid it at all costs), on the few rare occasions that happened to me in college, just getting up and knocking on the door loudly and walking away usually did the trick. Usually when the RA's would knock on someone's door it meant they wanted you to quiet down (they didn't even have to yell usually, just a knock on the door meant a warning), so I don't know if this would work for you, but it worked wonders for me- I never had to say a word to them, just a quick knock and they were scared they were in trouble I'm sure, they got quiet real quick. :D

Worse than sex, I had a roommate who washed his and his girlfriend's feet publicly almost daily. The entire room stunk and it was generally gross. I'd much rather just be locked out for an hour.

1 hour ago, Zagadka said:

Worse than sex, I had a roommate who washed his and his girlfriend's feet publicly almost daily. The entire room stunk and it was generally gross. I'd much rather just be locked out for an hour.

like they washed their feet together? but in the room and not the bathroom?

1 hour ago, Zagadka said:

Where did they wash their feet? And why did it stink if they were washing their feet so much? If you're washing your feet almost daily (especially if you're also having regular showers etc) then your feet should smell like roses one would think? :o

6 minutes ago, Not Pan Ficto. said:

Where did they wash their feet? And why did it stink if they were washing their feet so much? If you're washing your feet almost daily (especially if you're also having regular showers etc) then your feet should smell like roses one would think? :o

that's what I was thinkin'

1 minute ago, Not Pan Ficto. said:

They got one of those little plastic bins and washed right in the room. It was already a triple in the space of a double that said roommate was having his girlfriend stay with him most of the time, but it got... close. I have no idea where the stink came from, but it permeated everything for the entire semester. Feet have a specific stink

22 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

They got one of those little plastic bins and washed right in the room. It was already a triple in the space of a double that said roommate was having his girlfriend stay with him most of the time, but it got... close. I have no idea where the stink came from, but it permeated everything for the entire semester. Feet have a specific stink

It just seems so odd to me that they smelled so bad despite all that washing! Heck I tramp in the mountains almost daily in two pairs of socks and tramping shoes, and my feet still don't get a smell because when I'm tramping, I shower when I get home. They maybe had a fungal infection or something to cause a smell despite the washing. Though it's also odd that they'd wash in plastic bins instead of in the bathroom. I'm so confused!!

2 hours ago, Zagadka said:

That's so weird! omggg

9 hours ago, Nick2 said:

a mini frig. 

What's that, when you stop halfway through? 😋😋

Maybe the footwashing was some form of ritual? 

On 3/29/2020 at 3:35 PM, hypnopompic said:

On 3/31/2020 at 5:47 PM, cAROlyn said:

Something you could try:

Knock knock knock. "RA on Duty!"

@hypnopompic & @cAROlyn , that advice is fucking awesome. I love you.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:52 PM, GayShayy said:

@GayShayy , you remind me too much of myself when I was your age. Please, learn to look after your own needs and desires and have fun with life. You never know when the Grim Reaper will find you irresistible. If I could go back in time, that is what I would tell myself.

AspieAlly613
On 3/30/2020 at 4:52 PM, GayShayy said:

Yeah, but only once.  Of course, in a nightmare scenario they could invite you to join them.

4 hours ago, AspieAlly613 said:

Of course, in a nightmare scenario they could invite you to join them.

Just whatever you do there, don't act like you've misheard and reply with "Come again?" 😋 😋 

Archived